Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: New version saves database everytime i close vdj, taking too long to close - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

gvmusicPRO InfinityMember since 2004
it is taking a long time to close vdj, saving database everytime i close vdj.

is there a way to turn this off?

Posted Wed 11 May 05 @ 7:00 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
Nope

How long is it taking? 1-5 minutes consider yourself lucky. Mine takes a full 9 minutes to close.

Posted Wed 11 May 05 @ 7:35 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
My bet is that it takes less time than to have to re do all the analyzing, cue points and CBGs.

Rather nice to have the window telling us what the progarm is doing, rather than slamming the door on it as was the case before no realizing.

I hope we all are still making a habit of saving a current copy of the xml database and playlist folder if you use them.

Posted Wed 11 May 05 @ 11:55 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
To decrease this time of closing:
use sometimes the shortcut key: savedatabase() when VDJ is open

I use Ctrl+S with these 2 new actions:
* savedatabase()
* saveregistryconfig()

Posted Wed 11 May 05 @ 1:19 pm
Before it still did the same...

it still saved the database after shuting down the program

But by this new way, you can not restart vdj before database is saved, so that you will not get database corrupted messages if you restart VDJ to fast

So, its all good that VDJ needs time to close

9 mins??? no way cyder??
I have 20.000 tracks, it saves in 15 secs

Posted Wed 11 May 05 @ 1:48 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Me too.

The danger of sutting down windows during the save was the hazard with the 2.06 version was what I referred to.

Glad they set it up the way it is now, just for some positive feedback.

Posted Wed 11 May 05 @ 3:03 pm
yes way norway :)

128 K mp3s
18k kj

1k video

so yes 9 minutes and growing

Posted Wed 11 May 05 @ 3:36 pm
hehe....
with such an HUGE database it does take time I guess..... 128.000 mp3's.... damn! :)

Posted Wed 11 May 05 @ 3:59 pm
"128,000 mp3's....damn"

You could say I was a "collector" but with so many versions of the same song as of late this number isn't hard to get too. We have to radio we have to club we have the remix we have the extended mix sometime 4 or 5 remixes of the same song clean dirty extra clean etc...I think I have 11 versions of call on me right now.

Posted Wed 11 May 05 @ 4:07 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Well I guess I have a new benefit to using a separate catalog program for my MP3s.
No data in database, instant shut-down of VDJ.

cstoll

Posted Wed 11 May 05 @ 5:18 pm
DJ RazPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I have 1500 songs and it takes forever to shutdown.
Can't we have this feature turned off?

The database was a lot better in 2.06.

I mean it's in xml.... so anyone can write a plugin/software to read that file and write info into id3 tags.

Why have VDJ do it?

Am I missing something?

Posted Wed 11 May 05 @ 10:00 pm
I have over 5,500 songs and it takes seconds for VDJ to shutdown.

MS

Posted Wed 11 May 05 @ 10:38 pm
djchillPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Something is wrong with yu all systems.From version 2.06 up It normally takes seconds to save the database.

Posted Thu 12 May 05 @ 3:07 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
It is only a warning message, to avoid database corruption, as Dj in Norway said.
Nothing has changed to the way the xml file is saved.
But virtual dj now support id3 tags (which version ???..anyone knows ?), so if reading tags is enabled, a single line is added permanently to each song in the xml with the tag info (artist-title-comment)
So database will grow a litlle. But only for people who have enabled this function (i don't)

Personally i think that the database file of many users here contains TOO Many.. JUNK...
Because everytime a song is DELETED or (TAG) EDITED or RENAMED outside Virtualdj, and therefore the database is not recognize it anymore, it is NOT Automatically deleted, or renamed in the database. So you can have lets say ...5 references of the same file in the database and only 1 of them to be valid (or even the file not present at all) (deleted)
That's why i had this idea sometime, i think its time to ask for something like this, please read:
http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=9253

Posted Thu 12 May 05 @ 4:11 am
It would be bomb if VDJ had the option to forget about the VDJ database and use say SQL Server Express or whatever you had on the computer. Then you could write some nifty stored procedures to give lot better search capabilities which would automaticly integrate to VDJ..

Posted Thu 12 May 05 @ 9:47 am
Thanks for all your responses,

It is taking 6 to 7 min for vdj to close, i have 25000 songs, the version before it would take less then 10 secs to close.

can we turn this off or change it?

I have Pent 4 3.3ghz 1gig ram

thanks for your help..

Posted Fri 13 May 05 @ 11:26 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Try to disable firewall and especially antivirus

Posted Sat 14 May 05 @ 12:40 am
no firewall or antivirus running, please help

Posted Fri 20 May 05 @ 4:57 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Have you enabled Tag reading/writing, or any other changes in settings after the update to 2.1 ?
It looks not normal to me.
Try to downgrade to 2.06 and see if its like before.
Backup your database in any case.

Posted Fri 20 May 05 @ 5:20 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I have a p-4 3.2 with a gig of ram. After a 4 hour set, vdj closes in about 15 seconds. I have about 40,000 files. I don't think the number of files would be an issue, just the number of files that you analysed or played in the current session.
So, something is wrong. I would definately change the id tag settings. I have my disabled for read and for write. see if this helps, if it does, try changing back one of them, and then the other and see if the problem comes back.

Posted Fri 20 May 05 @ 5:23 pm
91%