Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: netsearch and musicgroups

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Is it safe to use them without antivirus....?? since my laptop is vdj dedicated.

Posted Wed 30 Dec 09 @ 1:35 pm
Hi,

Using these services as such is not dangerous, but... In order to use them you need to connect your pc to the internet, and without an antivirus, well.....

I'm in the same situation as you. I keep my main Giging laptop away from the internet, just to keep it clean and VDJ friendly.

I'm not an expert, but adding a rule in windows host file could help you. That way your pc would only be able to access virtualdj.com, but again I don't know if that's enough to make both, music groups and netsearch work.

the way to apply a route/host rule is "ROUTE ADD" ... Doing a Google search would help to find out more about this.

Posted Wed 30 Dec 09 @ 2:00 pm
I am not sure but i think that vdj comunicates with other sites to get acess to netsearcn friendly files...so mabye this is not the way to go...thnxxx anyway

Posted Wed 30 Dec 09 @ 7:50 pm
For what it's worth; I run trend micro internet security on my Windows 7 system without any problems and run WiFi with netsearch without any issues.

Posted Thu 31 Dec 09 @ 12:51 am
fenderisc wrote :
Is it safe to use them without antivirus....?? since my laptop is vdj dedicated.

my firewall and anit-virus on my desktop hasnt shown one blip or issue with netsearch..
so far it seems to be 100% safe..

since the format runs strictly thru VDJ and it uses a proprietory extension, its pretty safe to assume that a virus would have a hard time working its way out.. (unless you personally downloaded something that changed VDJ itself)..

you are connected to the internet, but that connection is basically running thru VDJ, so unless you start 'surfing' and 'browsing' sites at the same time, their really is no way to get 'attacked'.. (unless you already have a worm or virus present)

over 90% of the the virus's and worms that get on peoples computers come from executables (.exe, .com, .vbs, etc etc) that people download and open up manually! IE: that "specialty video player that allows you watch the video that was locked", or "that animation card that your 'friend' sent you that requires an 'add on' so you can 'play it' . "..

Posted Tue 05 Jan 10 @ 12:29 pm
hippydog wrote :

my firewall and anit-virus on my desktop hasnt shown one blip or issue with netsearch..

I bet your desktop is connected to a router/firewall device. Then you are protected 2 times.

The risk comes when you use an open internet connection, where there is no NAT/firewall function on.

Posted Wed 06 Jan 10 @ 5:05 am
Dj-Cubalibre wrote :
hippydog wrote :

I bet your desktop is connected to a router/firewall device. Then you are protected 2 times.

The risk comes when you use an open internet connection, where there is no NAT/firewall function on.

When you enter a club with your wifi card turned on, Vista and Windows 7 will ask you to declare what kind of network you are connecting to when it finds the router for the club. First make sure it is the correct router by selecting it in the bottom right. When windows asks you for the type of network, always select Public, this will make sure non of the files on your system which might be shared for you in your home environment aren't shared publicly. It also makes your computer "invisible" to the outside cyber space if the router does not have the NAT functions enabled or its configured as a "DMZ" hotspot which means all ports are open for gamers to take advantage.

Posted Wed 06 Jan 10 @ 10:08 pm
hippydog wrote :

Dj-Cubalibre wrote :

Yes, the desktop is connected to a router, but it mainly blocks echo requests and hides the IP, and blocks ports (etc etc).. All of that is important If you have lots of "questionable" software on your computer, AND your computer is on all the time AND you are surfing the internet..

BUT
if you are running a "DJ only" computer, with no "extra" software, AND your are the only user of this computer..
AND its only turned on when your DJing..
THEN I am 100% confident that you would be fine with just 'Windows Firewall' turned on.. (and I'm 90% confident you would still be good with it turned off).. but since 'Windows Firewall' isnt that much of a hog I would leave it on.

Posted Thu 07 Jan 10 @ 6:00 pm
hippydog wrote :

Yes, the desktop is connected to a router, but it mainly blocks echo requests and hides the IP, and blocks ports (etc etc)..

That's exactly how they protect PCs from internet threads :)

hippydog wrote :

All of that is important If you have lots of "questionable" software on your computer, AND your computer is on all the time AND you are surfing the internet..

hippydog wrote :

BUT
if you are running a "DJ only" computer, with no "extra" software, AND your are the only user of this computer..
AND its only turned on when your DJing..
THEN I am 100% confident that you would be fine with just 'Windows Firewall' turned on.. (and I'm 90% confident you would still be good with it turned off).. but since 'Windows Firewall' isnt that much of a hog I would leave it on.

Ok, nobody should connect a PC to the internet without a router,firewall, etc. Why? because of internet worms, that's the word, worms.

Now what's a worm? This is only an example from Symantec page

Deloder Worm Infection

Description
W32.HLLW.Deloder is a network-aware worm that attempts to connect to a target host using TCP port 445.

As you see, you do not need to have any kind of "questionable" software on your computer, because the worm itself is looking for you, jejeje . That's their job, to find weakly protected PCs and infect them with trojans and viruses.

So, at least windows firewall should be use when plugin a PC to the internet. Just to avoid bad experiences :)

Posted Fri 08 Jan 10 @ 2:56 am
If your computer is not on 24 hours a day, the chances of one of those "worms" finding and then infecting your computer is one-in-a-million..

and yes.. you DO need "questionable" software on your computer for the worms to put anything on your computer..
Sadly, many times the "questionable" software is from Microsoft itself.. IE Windows ... LOL
but if updated, and minimum software, etc etc (& the stuff I repeated above like not being on all the time, and not surfing).. your chances of ANYTHING happening is actually pretty small..

I've tested it.. its true..

P.S.

of course since the built in windows firewall works ok, and is integrated, and is not a resource hog.. their is really no reason not to have it on..

Posted Fri 08 Jan 10 @ 8:20 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)