Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Any Setup Issues With

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I am now ready to install my Maya44 software on my laptop and then attach it to my usb port on my laptop and then attach the audio outs to my mixer and hopefully will then have music coming from my laptop to my mixer.

Is there anything I need to know about the setup that will prevent it from working? I saw the info from Cstoll and will check my settings and Directx version. Since the Maya44 is brand new I feel that the version of the software that needs to be installed will be the most current but will check for updates.

Cstoll said "Now I use the Vinyl...." does this mean that I can disregard this info since my VDJ working with my Maya44 has nothing to do with Vinyl stuff?

I still need to work with the karaoke side of the video outs etc but Tuesday is my next gig and will not attempt to use karaoke applications until I get my new external hard drive and then watch out.

Well wish me luck - My kids are excited to see that old dad will be rockin' the house lol. They even had me get some 21st century music by groups like Maroon5 (a color?) - Limp Biskit and Blackeyed Peas (a food? ) - then there is the plain old Garbage (trash?). hehe! I can hear all the readers now - comon' pops get with it. Remember I'm almost 60 so we also had strange group names but not really as obscure in the 60's.

By the way is there a way for VDJ to search all folders and sub-folders when I do a search in the main window on the bottom middle of the screen? Right now it searches only the folder that I have selected and I have all of my songs in folders. i.e. I have 1955, 56, 57, 58, ....99, 2000, 01, 02 etc each year's top 100 in their own folder. But when I look for a file it seems like it only searches the folder that I have selected. By the way my folders for each year from 1955-2005 are sub-folders of a main folder called mp3 files.

Another thing when I was playing with the software it seemed to load the songs at a tempo that it selected and the tempo was not really correct. I did an analyze with the files when I did a database search with VDJ.

Thanks for the help.

oldie but goodie

Jerry

Posted Mon 09 May 05 @ 6:55 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
I thought I was going nuts.
I also did notice some slower tempos, i'm looking at my pitch control wondering why and it's dead -0-.

Posted Mon 09 May 05 @ 7:07 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Jerry,

No worries on the Maya44 software and drivers. Just follow the guidance on how to use the Custom or ASIO sound card setup selection in VDJ. If you want some direct help, go to my BLOG and email me and I can email you my phone number.

But yes, after you get everything installed and hooked up to the mixer then you should be good to go.

"DirectX version" -- with the latest version of VDJ 2.1 - make sure you ahve DirectX 9.0c
"Maya44 version of the software (Drivers)" -- I used the version that was on the disk that came with the card. Now don't disregard everything, the things you don't need to worry about is the TCV Configuration settings in VDJ.

Quote -- "I still need to work with the karaoke side of the video outs" -- Read Cyderhouse's Video FAQ about 2.1 - http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=12052

Quote - "By the way is there a way for VDJ to search all folders and sub-folders when I do a search in the main window on the bottom middle of the screen?" -- Just right click on each folder in the left browser pane and choose "Add to Database Search"

Hope this helps -
cstoll

Posted Tue 10 May 05 @ 2:58 am
Thanks for the info.

I will email you so I can have your number for emergency tomorrow if that is ok.

Also your tip about adding the files to the dadabase for search purposes worked so thanks. Now I can search all of my files.

I will send you an email.

Oldie but Goodie

Jerry

Posted Tue 10 May 05 @ 3:37 am
"By the way is there a way for VDJ to search all folders and sub-folders when I do a search in the main window on the bottom middle of the screen?" -- Just right click on each folder in the left browser pane and choose "Add to Database Search"

TRIED IT AND DOES NOT WORK FOR ME!

Posted Tue 10 May 05 @ 10:44 pm
@nitebeatdisco

I just trashed my test system's database and double checked the process that I gave Jerry and it worked fine.

Suggestion - In the VirtualDJ directory, make a copy of your mp3database.txt file. Then open the original file and delete all the entries, save and close the file. The open VDJ and go through the process on one of your folders. After choosing "Add to Database Search" click on the DATABASE in the left browser pane and see if you have any files listed in the center browser pane.

If it doesn't work then delete the mp3database.txt and copy the backup to mp3database.txt - to recover your original data.

cstoll

Posted Tue 10 May 05 @ 11:02 pm
Silly me I Followed instructions But didn't Check Database folder at top of list I expected it to be added to existing Middle window....Came back from polytech and there it was added some more files works great, the more I learn the more I love this program,i only wish i Could understand french i'd learn so much quicker:)

Posted Wed 11 May 05 @ 9:11 am
Thanks a million to Chris aka CSTOLL!! Now that is real help when someone who is not paid to do support gives time to help others. After getting every component that I was going to use for my show Tuesday 05/10/05 I called Chris and he walked me through the settings so that I could do my show.

Well Chris, good and different came from the show. First of all my 4,000 songs are not enough to please everyone so I need to get some more music but that is not the fault of the software. People were impressed when then came up and ask if I could play a song and I did not have to flip through some list or go through racks of cd's to see if I had the song but just searched for the song and played it. I still do not have all of my music in my database so I had to search each of my 20 folders that are divided currently by "top 100 hits 1955...." thru 2005. This was a little of a pain but again not VDJ issue. Once I have my songs in the database then it will be fine. I have already tried and doing what Chris said does work for adding to your database.

One issue that I did have though was when I got to my place that I doing the show I plugged in my Maya44 usb to my laptop and connected the cables to my 1st channel before powering up my laptop and it played from deck 1 just fine. I was going to hook up my 2nd deck but found that I was using all but one available channels on my mixer board so I did not hook up the second set of cables to my mixer or to the Maya44. As the night went on I unplugged one of my mic cables (what we used for karaoke) from the mixer so as to free up another channel on my mixer board so I could connect the 2nd VDJ deck to my mixer. When I tried to play the songs on the 2nd deck they played just fine but they played only on the channel that VDJ deck 1 was connected to. So in short I could play both decks but they both played out of one channel on my mixer when all 4 cables were connected to the Maya44 and to seperate channels on my mixer board. Why both played out of one channel I do not know.

One thing that I did notice at the very start of the evening when I loaded up VDJ the first time that a message with regards to ASIO not either "connected or working etc etc" flashed but I disregarded the message because Chris had me change my original setting from ASIO to another setting and felt that it was ok especially when I played the first song on deck 1 and it worked fine. Since I did not have both decks setup at first I only needed one deck because I was changing from my karaoke player and spinning cd's switching off back and forth. As the night wore on and karaoke stopped I was playing regular music and I then decided to connect the other deck and that is when I noticed the problem about them both playing on one channel.

I brought home my mixer, cables and speaker so I can test the software this week-end but need to find out why the system worked when Chris helped me at home and did not work when I loaded the software at my work site. By the way the answer is no as to whether or not there were any green lights showing for the second set of outs on the Maya44 when deck 2 was playing songs on channel 1 of my mixer.

All in all this is a great program for what I am doing and the people have been so good to help and give advice that I would rate it as one of the top software programs I have purchased in many years. You end users keep up the good support for your VDJ friends for that is what we can do to make the world rock to the music we play.

Oldie but Goodie

Jerry
P.S. thanks for the tip about erasing the txt file but I thought that I could just right click on the database icon and "delete cd" and that cleared out my database txt file. Is this wrong? Oh yea I cannot download the update and install it for some reason. It says something like I do not have version 2.x but I do have version 2.06. Chris noticed it when we were doing the setups. By the way Chris probably since both decks were playing out of one channel the auto loading of the next song never happened.

Thanks again especially to Cstoll for his online and phone support.

Posted Wed 11 May 05 @ 9:26 pm
Jerry,

Even though things didn't go as well as when on the phone, Glad to here your night ended up well.

A couple of things:

1. When you plugged in the Maya44 at your gig, did you use the same USB port that you originally had it plugged into when we talked on the phone?
--
The reason I ask this is because if you used a different USB port then the computer recognized it as new hardware and VDJ reverted back to using the primary sound device which would give you not only the ERROR you saw but then only using 1 channel for output.
--
2. Did you remember to run the Maya44 Control Panel before starting VirtualDJ?

Also, since you only have 1 channel on your mixer available and you plan on using the crossfader of VDJ then what you could do is use Y-cables from your Maya so that you can feed 1 input on your mixer. If you want I will e-mail a picture to you of what I am talking about.

But, all in all; glad to hear things went well overall. Oh, and as for your compliments - YOU and the COMMUNITY of VDJ users is Welcome and I appreciate them.

** About your upgrade issue - contact e-service by going here -- http://www.virtualdj.com/support/e-service/

cstoll

Posted Thu 12 May 05 @ 1:30 am
Right on again Cstoll!

Boy either you helped write the software or you have had a ton of experience with things going wrong lol. Yes now that you mentioned it the dreaded "found new hardware" came up because I did plug it in to a different USB port. I did however run the Maya control panel.

The solution of no extra channels on the mixer is temporary since I will eventually get rid of two cables that are taking up two channels on my mixer when I get rid of the karaoke player. That will take a little longer since I need to rip all of the cdg files from my disks and then convert them to two files cdg+mp3. Since I have over 5,000 karaoke songs this might take some time but I will plug on. The Y idea would work only to accomplish the same thing that I had with both decks working off one channel last night wouldn't it? I had both decks working but they played out of one channel on my mixer despite the connections of (all 4 )both of MAYA44 outputs. Unless I could have the 2nd deck auto play the next song with the Y and also be able to cue and listen to the other decks' next song the difference would not be any different. Am I missing something?

Do I really want to upgrade right now? Seems some of the posts are negative about the new version. Maybe wait until it is fixed? i.e. pitch being off, tempo off??

Thanks again!! May the music really "lift you higher" and the "wind be beneath your wings" (lol sort of) By the way trim those wings.

Oldie but Goodie

Jerry

Posted Thu 12 May 05 @ 2:03 am
"Unless I could have the 2nd deck auto play the next song with the Y and also be able to cue and listen to the other decks' next song the difference would not be any different."

That was the reason for the suggestion. Now you would be able to use VDJ as we talked about by using the crossfader and selecting which deck to que to the headphones without it disrupting the deck thats playing.

Your catching on quick, we'll have you a pro at this in no time.

By the way, Because of the video integration I would recommend the upgrade. I am sure it will make the whole experience ( Karaoke ) much more pleasurable then what you will need to do with 2.06. Don't get me wrong, 2.06 does karaoke very well and it's not that difficult, however; I think you will find that you still will want the benefits of 2.1. Also, if you do it right, you can always roll back to 2.06 if you find 2.1 not working as you expect it to.
So, no real losses; only gains.

And as for having my own bumps when I started -- Yes, plenty of them. I just learned well and try not to make them again -- but learned foremost.

cstoll

Posted Thu 12 May 05 @ 4:12 am
Ok now we are getting ready for some fun. I just bought an external h.d. and now have my music files on that h.d. so I can use both computers to test and learn the software. Also today after sending an eservice email my VDJ is updated.

For others out there I did not select save but rather selected "run" and let it install and it did fine. Be sure to have you serial # handy though because you will need it. Just let the upgrade run and then open VDJ and it will ask you for your serial # - enter it and bingo you are up and running with the latest and greatest!

One thing that I did was to add all of my folders of mp3 files to the database txt file (after I deleted everything that was in there (database.txt file) from a previous attempt) so it was indeed all of my files. Now when I do a search it works and finds the song. After you select the "database" on left of VDJ be sure to double click on the column "title" or "artist" in order to sort your files first by name or artist alphabetically. This makes the search a better search. BUT having said that the search function is really too broad. Can the settings criteria be adjusted. i.e. I searched my database for "My Heart". I typed it in as "my" and the first song that came up is (You're my) Soul and... - so then I continued and entered a "space" and a h so I then had typed "my h" and I got song "can't get you out of my head" - so on I went and typed ear - so then it read "my hear" and the song displayed was "Can't you hear my heartbeat" so I finished the entry with the final letter t - so it read "my heart" and there were several songs with everything showing like "my heart will go on", "don't go breaking my heart", "don't phuk with my heart", and then eventually just "my heart". This is not usual sorting techniques. The first song found should have been "my heart" because it was in that order but it searched for any reference made to my heart. Can this search setting be changed? Windows uses something like "starts with" "includes" or "exact" for it's search and it works much better. Still learning the program so it might just be me. hehe!

Right now I just got the Maya44 up and working again with my laptop. I will now connect it to the same USB everytime. But one thing that I did notice when I got it running was when I turned off VDJ with my Maya44 still running and cables still attached to my mixer and then did not reboot the laptop but just started VDJ again that I had to no sound on my VDJ when it played. So I went into config and it had changed my setting from advanced to MAYA44 so I had to reselect advanced config in order for the sound to come out. Also why does my Maya44 not work and I have to use advanced? Since I have upgraded to VDJ 2.1 can this be an issue? Your instructions Cstoll use Maya44 as a setup? Ok so while I was writing this I exited from VDJ and restarted it and of course it worked without me having to go into config and select "advanced". I will keep and eye on it but would like to use Maya44 setting if possible.

When listening to the music I cannot play the 2nd deck with it coming to my headphones regardless if I hook up my head set to the Maya44 headset connection or to my laptop. Also it play's the 2nd deck out to my mixer so I get both songs playing at the same time. This will not work for cueing. What am I doing wrong?

Also I liked what you did Cstoll (Chris) that allowed me to play song after song if I drag a bunch of songs to the far right column display window (play list side??). This is not working again so there must have been a setting in the config or something to permit me to have this be done. Let me know the secret oh wise one!! Ok figured it out now I can get it to automatically play next song in cue playlist so that is fixed. Learning by doing takes longer but I will find out how to run this a lot better with trial and error. There is a setting somewhere though I think that sets the timing of the cue to the next song with x amount of secs and I will look for that.

Now that 2.1 is up and running I notice a severe skipping of the music that is not good at all. I saw something in forum about this and I will check it out. It is like the song is playing but then slows down and speeds up during play.??

Also what is the difference between songs listed in the database that are white and some are white with a yellow. What is the difference?

Thanks again!

Oldie But Goodie

Jerry

Posted Mon 16 May 05 @ 2:43 am
If anyone read all of my last post then this is just a simple update. I have got my laptop, Maya44 and mixer working. Even my autoplay is working now that I know how to use automix from the playlist.

Since I changed my system settings version 2.1 is not skipping now. Must have been something in XP. One time I even shut down my laptop and left all connections connected and restarted my computer to check and see if VDJ would load and play correctly without me having to re-set it. Sucess!! worked just fine and now I am off to shut down and disconnect and reconnect and start and then load VDJ and see if I finally have it so I can trust my computer settings and my VDJ and Maya44 settings to be ready for the real gig on Tuesday.

Also someone called me who had heard about my system and want me to set up their business with a laptop and VDJ for their nightly entertainment. This might turn into a business. lol. The more I learn about VDJ and the hardware and software needs the better I will be for my own use.

I am listening to my VDJ connected to my Audio Centron mixer and big dog speakers nice song Bad Bad Leroy Brown - oldie but goodie like I say! hehe!

I will post after disconnecting everything and turning off my laptop if it does not work and maybe get some more advice but if all goes well and I connect to the correct USB port it should all be well.

oldie but goodie

Jerry
bad bad leroy brown

Posted Mon 16 May 05 @ 6:24 am
Jerry,

Sorry I wasn't able to get back to you about your post. But I am glad to hear you are starting to make it to the expert level in configuring your setup and having it work correctly. lol.

Anyhow, I am sure you will be fine. And, good luck on the business deal. Just remember, they pay for everything - especially your time and knowledge.

BTW, you know how to get ahold of me if you have to.

Have FUN!

cstoll

Posted Mon 16 May 05 @ 9:00 pm
Thanks Cstoll - Yes I do have that info tucked away in the 911 portion of my notes.

Anyone tell me about the search issues?

And yes for all who care - I went to work today and when I came home I fired up my laptop and VDJ ran just fine.

Oldie but Goodie

Jerry
Remember we are "born to boogie"

Posted Mon 16 May 05 @ 11:39 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)