Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: recording mix problems

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

hi there!

i'm newly trying to use virtual dj. apparently, i encountered the same skipping problems. however, that problem was resolved. as of now, i'm trying to record a 1 hour mix. as i finished recording. i tried playing the 1 hour mix i did using winamp 5.0. unfortunately, when i was playing the 1 hour mix in winamp, the 1 hour mix only registered 22minutes. and as the mix was starting to play, the first song of the mix was skipping tremendously.

i hope to hear from you guys.

thanks and more power!

Posted Mon 09 May 05 @ 4:18 pm
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Is your machine powerful enough to both run VDJ and record at the same time? I know mine isn't. I run VDJ fine, but trying to record back into the same machine via line-in while VDJ is running is too taxing on my cpu. I end up with skips, pops, etc like you have described.

Try recording to both .wav and .mp3 and see which works best for you. I believe that .wav will use more ram and .mp3 more cpu cycles, so perhaps you can get around your personal bottleneck.

Posted Mon 09 May 05 @ 9:10 pm
i'm using an ecs a907 desknote 533mhz processor, 256mb ram, partitioned 30gig hard drive with 3gig on drive c and 27gig on drive d and im running win xp pro.

by the way, i've tried using mixvibes, also. but then, i'm having hard time adjusting the gain control. unlike with virtual dj which has a real time auto gain control. moreover, i have to record the mix i did with a separate recorder, like jet audio. when i do record my mix with jet audio, the entire mix runs fine, except for the irregular "gain."

i have also used alcatech bpm-studio. since this software has an auto gain control, like virtual dj. but every time i try mixing sometimes the incoming song would suddenly stop, for no reason at all.

presently, i'm really attached with virtual dj, with its awesome interface and realtime scratching effects. and most of all, with its responsive technical support.

also can you explain more on this "wav will use more ram and .mp3 more cpu cycles," by way of information, i'm recording my mix on mp3 format so i could save more on disk space. then if my mix runs smoothly, thats the time i would burn it into audio cd.

as of now, i have 1.07gig free space on my drive d, this is where i store my mix and my mp3.

and also, i'm from the philippines and its too heavy on the budget to keep on upgrading and buying equipment, with virtual dj's responsive technical support, i know there's still a tweak out there i could use.

furtherrmore, i'm a frustrated dj because I'm in a wheelchair. By way of information, I am Dodit del Rosario, 33 years old. My musical journey started during the eighties, the new wave era, the period where mobile disco reigned supreme. In the mid nineties, I tried to audition at Equinox disco here in the philippines. Unfortunately, I was not allowed to audition, because I was in wheelchair. As I was starting, I was using cassette tapes in mixing. Since vinyl records were a bit costly, at that time around mid eighties. I know its kinda hard to mix with cassette tapes. On the other hand, with my desire to become a dj, I had to use whatever resources I have. When new wave music subsided mid nineties I stopped for awhile. Because of the Equinox incident. However, when mp3s were introduced 2000, I resumed again collecting music.This time I'm no longer cassette tapes, vinyls, or cds. Presently I'm using my ECS laptop in mixing.

apparently i thought music was only a past time or a hobby. but when i saw that a deejay school will be opening here in the philippines. i took that chance.

at this point, i'm doing more research on what's the best dj mixing software. probably i found it. perhaps like my attitude, i have to use every means i can use to improve myself.

anyway thats all for now.

i hope to hear from you again.

Posted Tue 10 May 05 @ 3:57 am
i'm using an ecs a907 desknote 533mhz processor, 256mb ram, partitioned 30gig hard drive with 3gig on drive c and 27gig on drive d and im running win xp pro.

by the way, i've tried using mixvibes, also. but then, i'm having hard time adjusting the gain control. unlike with virtual dj which has a real time auto gain control. moreover, i have to record the mix i did with a separate recorder, like jet audio. when i do record my mix with jet audio, the entire mix runs fine, except for the irregular "gain."

i have also used alcatech bpm-studio. since this software has an auto gain control, like virtual dj. but every time i try mixing sometimes the incoming song would suddenly stop, for no reason at all.

presently, i'm really attached with virtual dj, with its awesome interface and realtime scratching effects. and most of all, with its responsive technical support.

also can you explain more on this "wav will use more ram and .mp3 more cpu cycles," by way of information, i'm recording my mix on mp3 format so i could save more on disk space. then if my mix runs smoothly, thats the time i would burn it into audio cd.

as of now, i have 1.07gig free space on my drive d, this is where i store my mix and my mp3.

and also, i'm from the philippines and its too heavy on the budget to keep on upgrading and buying equipment, with virtual dj's responsive technical support, i know there's still a tweak out there i could use.

furtherrmore, i'm a frustrated dj because I'm in a wheelchair. By way of information, I am Dodit del Rosario, 33 years old. My musical journey started during the eighties, the new wave era, the period where mobile disco reigned supreme. In the mid nineties, I tried to audition at Equinox disco here in the philippines. Unfortunately, I was not allowed to audition, because I was in wheelchair. As I was starting, I was using cassette tapes in mixing. Since vinyl records were a bit costly, at that time around mid eighties. I know its kinda hard to mix with cassette tapes. On the other hand, with my desire to become a dj, I had to use whatever resources I have. When new wave music subsided mid nineties I stopped for awhile. Because of the Equinox incident. However, when mp3s were introduced 2000, I resumed again collecting music.This time I'm no longer cassette tapes, vinyls, or cds. Presently I'm using my ECS laptop in mixing.

apparently i thought music was only a past time or a hobby. but when i saw that a deejay school will be opening here in the philippines. i took that chance.

at this point, i'm doing more research on what's the best dj mixing software. probably i found it. perhaps like my attitude, i have to use every means i can use to improve myself.

anyway thats all for now.

i hope to hear from you again.

Posted Tue 10 May 05 @ 3:57 am
Just to clarify...

What is your hardware setup? Are you running out of your soundcard to a mixer and then back to the soundcard to record or are you recording from within VDJ with no external mixer?

If you are using VDJ and another recorder from line-in as I suspect, you are going to have a real tough time with those low system specs. I'd be surprised if clean recording would be possible at all. Heck, I'd consider you lucky if VDJ's output is glitch free, let alone recording as well.

Posted Tue 10 May 05 @ 7:50 am
.wav vs .mp3

As I understand it (and I may be incorrect) .wav recording uses less cpu cycles because your computer is not doing the mp3 compression on the fly. The drawback is that recordings are much larger in storage and probably in ram, too.

With 533mhz, you should definitely be recording to .wav not mp3, imo. You can always turn those .wav files to mp3 later if you choose. On the other hand, after the Ram that windows xp is using, you have almost none left.

You are kind of stuck, to be honest. You need more computer power.

Posted Tue 10 May 05 @ 7:54 am
yes i am recording directly thru virtual dj.

anyhow, i would like to try recording in wav format. but then i seemed to be lost. since i cannot record my mix in wav format. yes i know by changing the file type in the rec tab would automatically change the file format. however i seem to have locked the file type into mp3 and i could not get it back into wav format.

is there any solutions to this? i can't do a system restore. since dj coco indicated that doing this contributes to the skipping problems. presently, i've turned off my system restore.

Posted Wed 11 May 05 @ 4:50 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
@dodit delrosario

Nevermind, your problems are related to a cracked version of vdj.

Posted Wed 11 May 05 @ 4:59 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)