Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Is Virtual Dj Secure?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I was wondering. if i want to use the radio in v2.1, does it make my computer open for others in any way. when broadcasting, will my computer become open for others? will this make my firewalls useless, or open any ports into my computer.????

Posted Mon 09 May 05 @ 2:36 am
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
opens the 8000 port.
attemps for hijacking on this port are unsignificant.

it's 6 months i'm on the vdj radio mixing with shoutcast on 8000 port never had a problem!!

Posted Tue 10 May 05 @ 12:16 am
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Most people lose more productivity configuring (then bypassing) their own firewalls than they'd ever lose to an attack.

Don't believe the hype.

Posted Tue 10 May 05 @ 12:51 am
there are two different options for broadcasting... do both of them open a port?

Posted Tue 10 May 05 @ 1:48 am
NebulaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
if i was to post the ip address in msn to connect to my radio station, is it possible for people to gain access to any part of my computer apart from the MP3 file being played?

Posted Mon 06 Jun 05 @ 10:40 pm
ive woundered this. for me to show people the address to listen, does this not show my ip address and there for open for hacking?

Posted Sun 12 Jun 05 @ 10:50 am
Dev staffHome userSenior staffMember since 2003
Broadcasting to a server doesn't open anything in your computer.

Broadcasting directly from your computer only opens ports 8000 an 8001 (unless you change it), and all incoming traffic on these ports are redirected only to VirtualDJ.
So in the worst case, an hacker working very hard might be able to find a way to hack your virtualdj, and make your crossfader move remotely ;)
So don't worry, nobody will start messing with your computer's files because you use broadcasting (oh and the moving crossfader part was a joke of course, at the most they might crash your virtualdj, but we made every effort we could so even that is impossible).

Posted Sun 12 Jun 05 @ 4:39 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)