Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: A Challenge for you

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I've looked at a few 1u media players and am yet to see one that isn't phantom powered, Can you find one?

Note: It has to be USB, SD or both. Plus 1U Rackmount of course.

Posted Fri 04 Dec 09 @ 8:19 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006

Posted Fri 04 Dec 09 @ 8:24 am
DazmaxPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Smart Arse!!!! ;-)

The only one I could find was the Cortex HDC-500. Its USB but no SD slot. Dirt cheap tho at arround 160 stirling. Have a look on Studiospares.com.

Daz

Posted Fri 04 Dec 09 @ 9:02 am
Both units I have seen when i searched, there phantom powered. I want something with a standard IEC power input but they don't seem to make them "Like radio mics"

Posted Fri 04 Dec 09 @ 11:17 am
TearEmUp wrote :
http://www.pssl.com/American-Audio-Media-Operator-1U-SD-Player Hows that?

Doesn't appear to be avalable in the UK... I could do with one of these for a venue I'm helping out!!!

Roy

Posted Fri 04 Dec 09 @ 11:33 am
Hi Mate

looking at the pictures of the rear panel they both run with external supplies but they are not USB buss powered. Phantom powering is a different thing altogether,, possibly why we got confused with what you were after. I havent seen any that have a built in PSU.

Daz

Posted Fri 04 Dec 09 @ 11:46 am
Phantom power is like your radio mic isn't it?

Posted Fri 04 Dec 09 @ 12:45 pm
No mate

Phantom powering is where a power supply is sent up a mic cable from a desk to provide an energising supply for the likes of condenser mic's. Usually around 48v. Power is provided to the mic and its electronics/built in pre amp without interfearing with the mics output, so both the power and the mic signal run on the same conductors in the cable at the same time.

It is only used on balanced line mic systems.

The 48V dc power is applied with the +48V connected to the inverting and non inverting wires of the balanced system at the same time and referenced to ground. This way the power supply is not seen by the mic's output signal (which is generated between the inverting and non inverting wires of the balanced system), (hence the term Phantom) but can be used by the mic's internal electronics by taking the supply between the iether signal line and ground.

Daz

Posted Fri 04 Dec 09 @ 2:24 pm
Oh well I meant without the mobile phone/radio mic type power adaptor otherwise known as a wall wort

Posted Sat 05 Dec 09 @ 3:20 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
GadgetMan wrote :
TearEmUp wrote :
http://www.pssl.com/American-Audio-Media-Operator-1U-SD-Player Hows that?

Doesn't appear to be avalable in the UK... I could do with one of these for a venue I'm helping out!!!

Roy

I think Clive at CRS1 might sell these; one of his staff mentioned using an American Audio 1U SD player the other day. Might be worth a phone call, he's a nice bloke :)

Posted Sat 05 Dec 09 @ 4:59 am
Cheers Scott...

Roy

Posted Sat 05 Dec 09 @ 12:40 pm
There's some for sale on e-bay. Ebay.co.uk item number 230405911174 havent had change to have a proper look, but theyre new units and look ok. £160

Posted Sat 05 Dec 09 @ 2:14 pm
I think there are a couple of reasons for this.

Size, Price and Reliability.

All of the media players run on low voltage, remember USB at 5V...

The manufacturing cost of these has to be kept down so it's easy to use a cheap wall wart which is also easily replaceable when it fails.

If they put a cheap power supply in it, it would fail and no doubt add some artefacts to the sound.

I've toyed with getting one for a while but have been put off by the same stupid thing and ideally I'd like one that can record as well.

Would be nice to see a couple of other manufacturers tackle this around £300 with some other bits to boot.

Someone with a brain will eventually do it, you could easily get it inside the unit, it's just easier for them this way.

Ross

Posted Sun 06 Dec 09 @ 10:02 pm
I saw this and would of bought it but it's using the same power supply

Denon DN-F300

Posted Mon 07 Dec 09 @ 2:55 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)