Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: External Mixer...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I know, i know, it's been posted before, but i've been reading all the posts and just ain't quite getting it yet...so here's my version.

1/ Got myself a new set of phones today so i can prelisten my tracks so i know what i'm mixing into. I thought i could muster something up using my soundblaster for master output and my onboard sound for the phones...but it don't work man!!! I've tried the 2 soundcard setup in config and nothing. no joy. i can use the phones on the 4.1 setup with speaker and phones inserted, but i was kind of hoping that i wouldn't have to do this...i don't want to put too much weight on the s/card (loads of plugs in one card). I don't like the Ysplitter idea and it doesn't like me. Can't quite get my head round where the fader should be at what point and i seem to be hearing all sorts through the phones and speakers over different configs. Any ideas?

2/ I've just spotted a mixer i'm gonna get in a couple of weeks. Nothing major, just a nice wee small mixer that's ok for what i do (smaller gigs, weddings, engagements, birthdays etc). But, the one hundred million dollar question - how the hell do you hook it up??? I want to be able to control my mixes using the external mixer instead of vdj. is this possible? i.e...if i fade left to right on the external mixer, will vdj fade left to right too??? also, if i'm using this external mixer, would i then be able to monitor the decks with phones from the mixer or would i need to come straight from sound card again?

like i say, sorry, i know it's been posted before.

cheers guys

chris

Posted Fri 06 May 05 @ 1:44 am
Alright first of all you will connect the soundcard into each channel of your mixer. You can use either 2 soundcards to each control one deck or you can use the advance setting to select what soundcard sends to what channel.

From your mixer once your soundcard(s) is/are connected to each channel. you connect your headphones into the mixer and from the mixer you will prelisten to the channel you want. With an external mixer you will have a slightly better control on the overal sound being sent as you can use both hands to control the knobs.

Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Fri 06 May 05 @ 2:45 am
Pionara,

First problem I see is that you are trying to use 2 different brands of sound for each channel. If you connect your "internal" card to Ch1 on the mixer and your "soundblaster" to Ch2, the sound quality you send to the mixer output may not be the same becuase of the different quality of the cards. You should endevour to use the same type of card so that your sound Q is consistent between channels. This is a good reason to use somethnig like the EchoDJ or Maya44 type of card.

Once you get the sound going to each channel of the mixer by selecting the dual soundcard config in vDJ, then monitoring the cue is the same as traditionally done at the mixer.

This assumes that you are bent on using the mixer's fader.

Posted Fri 06 May 05 @ 7:04 pm
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
nice one guys, cheers...

i'm going to go with just the one s/card just now for the phones and master output. once i get the mixer sorted i'll try these options...:o)

cheers again folks!!!

chris

Posted Fri 06 May 05 @ 9:36 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)