Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Hercules Console RMX "scratch lag"? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

sah602PRO InfinityMember since 2009
Quick question guys and gals.....When scratching, once I release the jog wheel on the rmx there's a very small (1\4 sec) pause in the track that is being played. I've played around with all the settings with no luck of removing this small pause. It makes the timing of releasing the jog wheels extremely tricky. Anyone know of a "tweak" or fix for this? Also just an F.Y.I, I have all the updated software and drivers for the RMX. Thanks in advance. Peace

Posted Thu 15 Oct 09 @ 10:09 am
DJ PhatsoPRO InfinityHercules Support TeamMember since 2005
It could have something to do with your soundcard/Audio settings.

In the Rmx control panel, before launching Virtual DJ, set your ASIO Buffer Size to about 10 Ms. Use VDJ for a while and see if this helps eliminate the lag. If not change the buffer size down or up until you find the perfect setting for your computer.

Another thing that should be done is to disable SAFE MODE under the PERFORMANCE tab of the VDJ settings.

Posted Thu 15 Oct 09 @ 1:09 pm
This is normal for all controllers that do not have touch sensitive jogwheels.

Because VirtualDJ has no way of knowing when you have released the jogwheel, it must wait until the jogwheel completely stops moving before resuming playback. A small delay must be applied to determine this.

Lower latency settings (If your computer can handle it without sound breakup) may reduce the delay, but it is impossible to eliminate altogether.

If you are serious about scratching, you may wish to consider upgrading to a controller that has touch sensitive jogwheels, e.g: Pioneer CDJ-400, Denon DN-S1200, Denon DN-S3700, Vestax VCI-100, Vestax VCI-300, Denon DN-HC4500, etc.

With touch sensitive jogwheels, the song will start playing immediately as soon as you release the jogwheel.

Posted Thu 15 Oct 09 @ 1:23 pm
sah602PRO InfinityMember since 2009
Thanks to all.........getting ready to play with the settings a little more, figured I might not be able to delete the "lag" at all. Yea the one thing I over looked when purchasing the RMX was the fact that it's jog wheels weren't touch sensitive. Got to learn to scratch all over again!! :)

Posted Thu 15 Oct 09 @ 3:11 pm
isrortPRO InfinityMember since 2009
be careful because there are bugs in the sensitive plates...the tech team are working on it...

Posted Sat 17 Oct 09 @ 11:54 am
The touch sensitive jogwheels on all the controllers I've listed above work fine in the latest v6.0.2 Pro version.

Posted Sat 17 Oct 09 @ 1:09 pm
i made a ticket and i got this answer from the tech team

Date: Wed 07 Oct 09 @ 7:28 pm
Teamer: phillydj
Message: the vci will be correctly mapped soon, for now there are bugs with the touch sensetive platter, but our dev team is aware and are fixing,

Your hardware is up to you, they are both good setups, i use the rmx because all i do is blend or mix music , but the vci would probably be slightly better at scratching

As u can see this ticke was made a week ago...

but if this is fixed... great!!!!! i will consider the vci-100 instead the rmx... do u know if the vci-100and the echo audio fire 4 is running with snow leopard?

thanks

Posted Sat 17 Oct 09 @ 1:24 pm
I'm not a Mac user so I cannot comment on the Mac version. The controllers I've listed all work great on the PC version.

There is no Mac demo, so if you are using the Mac version, then are probably doing so illegally. The version you are using may also be out of the date (v6.0.2 Pro is available for Mac now to all legally licensed Pro users.)

If there are bugs in the Mac version of the mapping, then I would expect them to be fixed soon. And if it's just a mapping problem (E.g: Button doesn't do what it's supposed to), then it can also be fixed by the user by modifying the mapping themselves.

There are also a couple of custom definitions and mappings for the VCI-100 available in the Tools download section (Only available to legally registered Pro users): http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/tools.html

Posted Sat 17 Oct 09 @ 2:00 pm
hi jpboggies... Since theres no Mac demo as u say... i havent tasted or worked or seen the VDJ running.. so thats why i make a lot of "basic" questions before buy my equipment and the VDJ (is a considerable investment for me)... i want to ensure that everything will run...who can answer or help to clarify the snow leopard thing...???????

PS would be nice could taste it before buying... im talking for mac users that are interested

Posted Sat 17 Oct 09 @ 2:23 pm

Posted Sun 18 Oct 09 @ 1:28 pm
netsterPRO SubscriberMember since 2009
Thanks for posting this about the scratch lag, I thought I was going mad, and couldn't find anything on the net about it. I have 6.02 and the hercules and have them same thing, the real problem is as you say, when letting of the scratch wheel, or worse when you push it forward after a scratch, you need it to play immediately, but it doesn't. The lag seems to be a lot less with the version 5 of the software that came with the unit. Does anyone know why this would be?

Posted Wed 11 Nov 09 @ 2:53 pm
Actually adding to my last comment, the lag is almost no existent in virtual dj 5, anyone know why it would be noticible in vdj 6.02 with the hercules?

Posted Wed 11 Nov 09 @ 3:53 pm
Hello Nester,

If your issue is the response time, can you make sure you are in ASIO in VirtualDJ 6?
You should set your DJ Console Rmx in ASIO in DJ Console Rmx control panel, then you run VirtualDJ, and once you run VirtualDJ, go in the Config > Sound setup panel, set the Rmx as sound card, check the box 'Apply EQ on external inputs', click on the Apply button, then click on OK.
Afterwards, check if you still have a latency issue.

VirtualDJ 5 DJC always runs in ASIO with the Rmx, while VirtualDJ 6 Pro can run in both ASIO and WDM, so it is possible your problem is just that you compare VirtualDJ 6 in WDM with VirtualDJ 5 in ASIO: ASIO mode is generally better for response time than WDM mode.

Posted Thu 12 Nov 09 @ 3:29 am
Thanks for the advice. 6.02 is in ASIO mode as you suggest, and the response is the same, it is hard to see exactly, but i also think there is a small delay in 6.02's response to the other controls on the RMX (I can't be sure, maybe the screen update is jsut slower), but it is definitely there for the scratch function, which makes it unusable.m the version 5 virtual DJ is almost instantaneous, as is the scratch response for the traktor scratch pro software I have, so this seems to rule out the "touch sensitive wheel" issues mentioned earlier.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted Fri 13 Nov 09 @ 8:42 pm
Try going into the Hercules control panel and adjusting your ASIO buffer size as small as possible without getting sound break-up or distortion. The lower the buffer size, the more responsive it will be. You may need to restart VirtualDJ each time you change the value for it to take effect.

Posted Sat 14 Nov 09 @ 1:07 pm
Hi i use the Torq xponent controller which has touch sensitive jog wheels with Vdj pro 7 (mac) and i too have this little delay problem, it makes trying to scratch samples and etc. nearly impossible, and for example ill do a backspin and it will have an awkward pause before it starts back up again which makes my mixes sound bad any help?

Posted Tue 06 Sep 11 @ 10:59 pm
When spinning the jogwheel in reverse, it will be held automatically by the software until the jogwheel stops moving to allow you to perform a manual backspin, otherwise it would stop scratching the instant that you release the jogwheel. You would get a short backspin sound followed by pitch bending for the rest of the movement. To see what we mean, try performing a manual forward spin.

In order for it to detect the jogwheel has stopped moving (To stop applying the hold for the backspin), there will be a very short delay.

This feature cannot currently be disabled (Doing so would also stop you from being able to backspin.) To avoid the delay, make sure that you always release the jogwheel on the forward movement when scratching.

Posted Wed 07 Sep 11 @ 4:38 am
Can somebody help please? When I'm scratching the jog wheel is ok but the cross fade doesn't work when i move it left to right it doesn't make the scratch sound. I want to know how to set it up. Please . Djuced 40

Posted Mon 02 Sep 13 @ 5:37 pm
One more thing can you help me on how to make the cue pads play cuz when press it when I release it it stop

Posted Mon 02 Sep 13 @ 5:39 pm
One more thing can you help me on how to make the cue pads play cuz when press it when I release it it stop.on the djuced 40

Posted Mon 02 Sep 13 @ 5:39 pm
91%