Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: answer to kicko from kicko...sorry but i can help myself

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

kickoHome userMember since 2003
well after playing with Vdj for sometime it seems that if i disable just about everything in the software...all that is not so useful, the program doesn't lock up at the end of songs..whoo hooo! i have no clue why but i will not screw around with nature. If anyone has this problem of lock up try that...i also messed with the sound a bit ...enabed my 3d software it was working to the best of my knowledge anyways..but i made sure...let me know what you think!

Posted Sat 09 Aug 03 @ 10:46 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
What is your system? How much RAM?

Posted Sat 09 Aug 03 @ 11:21 pm
kickoHome userMember since 2003
well i hate to jump to anything here but it still does it. seems like after 4 lock ups ....eack lasting about 1min. i'am still playing with option.....1.2 P4, 256ram

Posted Sat 09 Aug 03 @ 11:34 pm
jukesyPRO InfinityMember since 2003
sounds like a soundcard problem to me

Posted Sun 10 Aug 03 @ 12:33 am
I don't think it's a sound card problem. I think you need to double your RAM.!

RAM is cheap, and worth it.

Posted Sun 10 Aug 03 @ 1:36 am
jukesyPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Sorry I missunderstood what you meant by locking up. I thought you meant irreversably which usually is a hardware problem. If your computer is just stalling then I agree with Rick.

Ram is cheap and it never hurts to have 512MB you can pick memory up for around 30 euros now.

After looking at this thread for you I suggest you go here

http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=808

Firstly, if it were me before spending any cash. Delete all your temporary internet files and temp files. Then check to see what percentage of your hardrive is used. If it is a high percentage then this will cause a problem. RAM is only random access memory. If you consider the following.

Hardrive space in Gigabytes is amount of space available for information.

RAM is the amount of that space that can be accessed and read at one time.

and your processor just dictates the time it takes to send information back and forth.

Imagine it as a library. The hardrive is the amount of shelves. The RAM is the amount of identical people available in the library. The processor is how quickly and efficiently each person can read a book.

The result being how quickly can information be got at? See :)

So having all of these things large is important.

Make sure all your background programs are off. This saves RAM. And by deleting unwanted files this saves space. However you will also need to defragment your drive. Because everytime you delete something it doesnt actually delete from memory. It just allocates that position of memory as free. So the next time you install or add data it takes up the space that is allocated as free. Your computer does not put data nicely all together. It puts the data into the first free allocation. If this is not big enough it then finds the next available space and so on. Thus your files become fragmented and are stored all over the drive. This is why you need to defragment your drive. You should do it every couple of weeks in reality.

Also try running scandisk in full you may have bad sectors of hardrive. A further thing I would suggest is to clear all the programs and files you never use that came with your computer. (remember to use control panel for programs) You can save a couple of gigs like this. Once that is done the last thing I suggest is to run a registry clean up on your system. Sometimes bad registry entries can cause your system to hang.

Hope all that hopes. And if all that fails then spend money on new RAM

Jukesy

Posted Sun 10 Aug 03 @ 2:41 am
I had 256 meg of ram.... had similar problems... I bought another 256 of ram, and have had no problems since..

Posted Sun 10 Aug 03 @ 4:01 am
nscodeHome userMember since 2003
And if you have more than 512 disable the swap/page file. You will get better performance not just with VDJ, but with all your programs.

Posted Sun 10 Aug 03 @ 9:49 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)