Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: VDJ for Windows 64 bits

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi, team.
When will we enjoy a 64 bits version of VDJ? All the machines now a day have 64 bits processors. It is the logical next step to upgrade VDJ to x64, and so convenient to mixing video. Please, make an effort :)
Thanx

Posted Thu 24 Sep 09 @ 8:45 pm
kiko10PRO InfinityMember since 2005
I have a win64 bit toshiba laptop.7 months already,and 75% of the night i play music videos doing video mixing and effects without a problem.

Posted Sun 27 Sep 09 @ 12:36 pm
I would not know how a 64bit version would improve anything as far as this kind of application goes..

Posted Sun 27 Sep 09 @ 5:01 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
I've been using VDJ with my RMX on a 64bit OS of Vista for over a year now with no issues at all.

Posted Sun 27 Sep 09 @ 6:22 pm
Well, I also have been working for several years as IT technician, and I know a 64 bits VDJ should increase a lot the performance of video DJing fluency, as well as reduce the times of CPU loads....

If there were no benefits about using 64 bits, nobody would have developed them ;), and what would we need a core 2 duo/quad pc for?... Almost every PC processor made today are 64 bits capable, but why are they making it so if software wouldn't be more powerful? What a wasting of efforts and cash...

It's the logical forward step...

Posted Mon 28 Sep 09 @ 7:21 pm
I agree but I've been using a Toshiba Qosmio with Vista 64 since December and I'm not seeing any OS related issues.

DJ RuDe

Posted Mon 28 Sep 09 @ 11:40 pm
Asus G-1 with vista home pre 64-bit, and it works great. It's funny because this was the first time something worked better(faster) in vista than xp.

Posted Thu 01 Oct 09 @ 7:55 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
jdjvjdjv wrote :
Well, I also have been working for several years as IT technician, and I know a 64 bits VDJ should increase a lot the performance of video DJing fluency, as well as reduce the times of CPU loads....

If there were no benefits about using 64 bits, nobody would have developed them ;), and what would we need a core 2 duo/quad pc for?... Almost every PC processor made today are 64 bits capable, but why are they making it so if software wouldn't be more powerful? What a wasting of efforts and cash...

It's the logical forward step...

Actually the real 64-bit benefit is in memory addressing not CPU loading.

64-bit CPUs have been around for eons before AMD & Intel started developed the x86_64 platform.

Posted Thu 01 Oct 09 @ 12:43 pm
SBDJ wrote :

Actually the real 64-bit benefit is in memory addressing not CPU loading.

Yes, because most of software are still written in 32 bits. If you run 32 bits soft on 64 bits SO you will only see the difference of memory ops speed, if you can. But, for example, try Photoshop 32 and 64 bits on a 64 bits Windows.... You will open your eyes ;)
If we had a 64 bits VDJ, you will see the difference.....

Posted Fri 02 Oct 09 @ 10:20 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
jdjvjdjv wrote :
Yes, because most of software are still written in 32 bits. If you run 32 bits soft on 64 bits SO you will only see the difference of memory ops speed, if you can. But, for example, try Photoshop 32 and 64 bits on a 64 bits Windows.... You will open your eyes ;)
If we had a 64 bits VDJ, you will see the difference.....

You're not listening to what I'm saying; it's all to do with the limitations of memory addressing. This benefits even x86 applications because they can get more memory allocated which in some applications is a larger benefit than the hit taken by thunking through WoW. I don't need my eyes opening thanks; I've been working in this field for more than a few years now - from both a user and developer perspective. As I said, 64-bit technology is nothing new. FWIW several applications I use are exclusively x86_64. The reason? Memory.

Posted Fri 02 Oct 09 @ 11:49 am
I fail to see how VDJ would benefit from being able to address more than 4GB of memory....

Posted Fri 02 Oct 09 @ 8:38 pm
I think people are "going there" with VDJ as they think larger memory would help them load video's faster and be less intensive on the CPU. Unless you are mixing 30gb hd files, there is no demand to use MORE than 1 or 2gb of RAM. Which 32 and 64 bit OS's are able to address.

I think if VDJ had Video/Sound editing capabilities, then it would make sense as they would need access to more. Digidesign who make Protools still after years and years of people growning over no 64 bit compatibility, they are still developing and testing a solution for those wanting to run 64 bit systems. They knew this day was coming when 64 bit and large RAM systems would be more than 50% of the laptop/desktop showcases... they just didnt prepare for it.

I do not see as VDJ/Cue sits today how there would be benefit nor application of using more than the 1-2gb of RAM. Which as it has been said already is the only benefit of 64bit technology. The reason you may be seeing a faster load speed is in multi tasking applications that require large sections of RAM.

Posted Mon 16 Nov 09 @ 9:05 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)