Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Edirol FA66 problems in bootcamp Vista

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

The ASIO drivers of the Edirol FA66 are killing me in Vista 32. Does anyone have a succesful use of VDJ6 with an Edirol FA66 with no mixer. Just a couple of speakers? I am using a macbook pro 2.66 with 4 ggis of ddr3 ram and the 9600GT/9400M. Always says error in the ASIO driver. It sounds awful. So I am sticking with VDJ 5.2.1 MAC and its flicker but perfect sound. VDJ 6.0.2 MAC is 100% stable but has some stutter as the night progresses and feels lousy although most people won't notice I hate to play with so many bad details. Please help, Vista runs great but I can't fix the Ediirol to sound like it should.

Posted Tue 22 Sep 09 @ 10:55 am
I installed the Edirol and VDJ 6.0.2 in my selfmade quadcore desktop 2.66 with 4GB of RAM Raid 0 of 32 cache hard drives and dual 8800GT's. I can make the Edirol play with Neroshowtime and VLC. But I try with VDJ and can only get an error trying to set it with the ASIO driver. I put config, sound-none, headphones and ASIO. The driver form Edirol's website says ASIO 2.0...Even Roland website plays music trough the edirol but not VDJ .

Help!

PD I am posting in the mac forum because I plan to run it with bootcamp in my macbook pro.

Posted Tue 22 Sep 09 @ 10:29 pm
Ok. I made it work with clean sound in the quadcore. I resetted all setting and started again. I guess I had a mess. Same config except this time with no ASIO, just a "simple" output with one card or using headphones with the Edirol and an X-Fi. I will have to test later for loudness because my daughter is asleep. Also I will retry the Macbook Pro with what I learned so far. If someone is using ASIO with the Edirol, plase let me know.

Posted Tue 22 Sep 09 @ 10:59 pm
I'm using Virtual DJ 6.0.2 on Mac + Edirol FA-66 and I haven't noticed that "stutter" you mentioned.

What are your settings? Latency? Sample rate (both the device itself and the software)?

Posted Wed 23 Sep 09 @ 7:08 am
In the Mac side the Edirol works like a charm, perfect sound always. The problems I had was on the PC side with Bootcamp. I made it work on my desktop PC already, now I need to adjust it on Bootcamp to make it work ok. My question now is, do I need to use ASIO on the PC to get the best of the Edirol or not? And if the answer to the prior question is yes, could someone tell me how to use the ASIO drivers right?

Thanks.

PD. The stutter is not in the sound side in the MAC (6.0.2), it's in the video side as I load on the decks as the night goes on. People don't notice much or don't care, but I do. So I am sticking with 5.2.1 in MAC. I only use video, all .vobs cutted directly from DVD (originals and no compression). My problem with MAC version 5.2.1 (and also 6.0.2) is the flicker that does not exist on the PC side. The flicker as I have stated comes from the interlaced signals that made the video flicker a little or a lot depending on the video itself. Example, a nice low change video like Natalie Imbruglia's Thorn video almost has no flicker, AC/DC's Thunderstruck with it's rapid changes on screen has a lot of flicker. Now some people argue there is no flicker on MAC, I work wit some of the greates artist in design in Latin America, all swear by the MAC and had work with it for years or decades. I made them see the flicker on a conference room with VDJ on and could not denied it was there (before this, they said it was imposible). I have already said most people won't notice it in a gig, but maybe I am not the only one who feels uncomfortable when you know that something is not quite right even if your audience isn't noticing or complaining. I know i'ts software because VLC show some flicker but a lot less especially with the newest version and the same hardware as used by windows doest not show it. I know some people won't like what I am saying but I am just trying to get some help from people that has more expertise than me or heard from some on the dev team that acknowledge this problem, so far no dev seems to care much, sadly. I stand by VDJ and if a new release trouble free was released and I had to pay for it, I would not care. I care most for quality.

Regards.

Posted Wed 23 Sep 09 @ 9:34 am
I wonder if the video flicker has anything to do with how your MacBook is connected to the screen/projector.

Which connector are you using, S-video, VGA or DVI? Which resolution?

Posted Thu 24 Sep 09 @ 3:15 am
It's connected trough VGA. 2, Projectors native rez 1024 x 768 and 800 x600, LCD's ranging from from 46" to 15", I have tried with the minidisplay-VGA port adapter and Mini DVI- VGA both from Apple. I have manipulated the Hertz and tried everything. The funny thing is that using the same hardware in Bootcamp, I don't get the flicker. As I have already said, by flicker I mean small in size, length and time horizontal lines that increase with drastic changes in the video. Obviusly in my 3 PC's that I have used for video I get none of this, a desktop vid 8800GT, a laptop ATI3650, and a shuttle computer with a x800xt. The resolution I use in the projectors is 800 x 600, but the same, in the pc the resolution ranging from 1920 x1200 to 800 x 600 don't matter, the video is flawless. On the MAC side I have the Macbookpro Snowleopard 2.66/9600GT and an IMac 2.4/ATI HD2600 Leopard with exactly the same results. Now, why is a lot of less flicker on VLC 1.0.2, prior version had worst flicker. I only use .vobs as they come directly from DVD, no compression. They look and sound beautiful, if you can see the photo in my profile, you can see a video played in Virtual DJ 6.0.2 "MAC", yes MAC and I bet you can't see the flicker there or a bad display trough VGA. But as I said, If you were here I could show you that it does exist. As Galileo said, and regardless it moves...(At least on my equipment).

Thanks for the help.

PD. I bought the Edirol based on your recomendation, before I had a DIJO. So, thanks for the excellent recommendation. Now, could you tell me if in the PC side you use ASIO on the Edirol or WDM? Thanks again.

Posted Thu 24 Sep 09 @ 10:43 am
I am beginning to suspect the Edirol freezes Virtual DJ on the PC. It works ok with VLC, tested fully. I don't have time for more testing because I work full time by day and have a gig today in another city. I can't risk it. I will take my 2 MACS and play VDJ 5.2.1 MAC. Does anyone have experienced problems with the Edirol/Vista in PC/Bootcamp. It frooze my desktop (while I was copying large amounts of data between drives, so I can assure what was the problem) but it frooze my mackbook pro 2 times in a row on bootcamp, anyone? I need time to test this but also I need time to program my lights so any help will be greatly appreciated. I really like the video effects on the pc side.

Posted Fri 25 Sep 09 @ 11:42 am
couple questions How do u set up edirol fa 66 with ur mac? im using two cd tables and a two channel mixer. Im looking for a good sound card and i keep hearing about that one Also does vdj not work the exact same on both pc and mac? referring to ur statement bout the video effects on the pc

Posted Mon 05 Oct 09 @ 10:30 pm

Posted Tue 06 Oct 09 @ 5:29 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)