Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: tunes from Ipod didn't play on VDJ.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I was doing a wedding last weekend when some guy asked if I could play a few tunes from his ipod. I'm assuming that these are itunes stuff. I plugged in his usb ipod and saw the folders but nothing showed up in them. I thought VDJ had built in codec's for itunes? What did I miss?

Posted Thu 03 Sep 09 @ 5:31 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
You can not play it from an iPod ...

The integration (playlist access) is with iTunes ... not the iPod ...

Posted Thu 03 Sep 09 @ 5:54 pm

Are you saying VDJ can play itunes?

Posted Fri 04 Sep 09 @ 12:54 am

No, VDJ only "reads" the playlists that you've created in iTunes. It's just another form of "lists" that you can show/play from. (In addition to Virtual Folders and Playlists) You can even 'synch' the two live if you Rt click and hit "reload" (though you have to navigate away from the folder view and come back for the display to refresh) Load iTunes and you'll see that your VDJ "iTunes" lists match the lists you have in the iTunes program. It even shows "Smart Playlists" (matching VDJ's "Filter Folder" capability) and also your entire "music" library - which is "all tracks". This is all, of course, you have the "iTunes" playlist view enabled in CONFIG.

Assuming the links/paths are still valid, the tracks in VDJ will be valid. Similar to Virtual Folders and VDJ Playlists.

It will even show Nested folders, and sort/re-sort according to iTunes. Neither of which Virtual Folders or VDJ Playlists do. (????? )

At the end of the day, VDJ will not "play" protected iTunes tracks, nor will it play from an iPod.

Posted Fri 04 Sep 09 @ 6:44 am

What good is ALL this if it does NOT play the tunes?

Posted Sat 05 Sep 09 @ 5:42 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Don't quote the post right before your own ...

It does play the tunes ... but it plays the tunes stored on your HardDrive ... it does not play the tunes off of the iPod

Some people like managing their music with iTunes instead of VDJ -- which I don't understand why, anyhow -- so when people make playlists in iTunes, you are able to read them in VirtualDJ.

Posted Sat 05 Sep 09 @ 10:16 am
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
cstoll wrote :
Some people like managing their music with iTunes instead of VDJ -- which I don't understand why,

Simple,
1. It rips music and I can write to the song ID tags (please don't take this as a cut to VDJ, it is not ment to be).

2. The broswer window is large so it is easier to see more songs around your search criteria that you may have forgotten about with far less scrolling.

3. I can add songs to a playlist by just draging songs into a playlist and it is done. I make so may playlist changes (at home) that it is way easier not to have to save a new playlist evertime I get new music. I completely understand that VDJ lets you save the order of the list, which is nice, but I have been told many times here not to script my night before I get there. So the iTunes playlists that I make to pick my hits off of in VDJ are just fine.

4. Dinner music can be gapless, volume changed and basic functions controled by an iPhone / iPod touch remotely for free while I eat, enjoy and make DJing look effortless (which has gotten complimets)

5. iTunes DJ (please don't laugh, I don't mix the night with it) BUT, I open a wireless network called "DJ", people connect with thier iPhone / iPod touch and can browse my entire library (on a spare laptop that is not playing the main music) with thier "i" whatever and request music for me to play. I see what pops up and if it works into the set, I add it to the VDJ cue of songs to play next with no shouting over the music, turning my screen and I can keep to playing music while reading the crowd. They can see what I have from the comfort of thier table with all of thier friends. Techy and simple, that feature REALLY gets people talking at a party and definatly seems to add to the entertainment. But at no point can they screw up my set because they are browsing a machine that is there for back up so it is not the main PC playing the music.

I am a mobile DJ and these features appeal to me. None of this is ment to be a cut to VDJ, I love the prgram and it deffinatley has its place durring my entire main set. Itunes puts TONS of R&D into helping people organize thier music, even for the not so computer savy. Managing music is what iTunes is designed to do and they just plain made it easy. When my pick / hit lists are made with iTunes it makes it easier for the more common songs to be found and requested by guests.

I know that the general opinion of iTunes here is negative and I am not going to "preach" anymore. I may not have your club mixing skills and I may be new, but I am not just another "iPod" bargan DJ. I am sugesting that you approch iTunes with an open mind, it offers allot.

Posted Sun 06 Sep 09 @ 10:07 am
I will admit texting based request system would be allot easier though. I don't normally have internet at many gigs but I could solve that for this knid of functionality.

Posted Sun 06 Sep 09 @ 10:37 am
DHoude . . beautifully said!!!!

I too am a mobile jock that does 100% weddings and special events. I'm a new VDJ user for less than 2 months. But, i'm a full time wedding jock, doing ~50 a year, and over 300 under my belt using PCDJ FX over last 5 years. Since demoing and buying VDJ, I've spent hours over days over weeks over now months trying to refine out how to "manage" my music. While VDJ is IMO, the best "DJ'ing" program for numerous reasons, i feel it has fallen short in the "music management" side of things. I've been ranting about Playlists and Virtual Folders for weeks now.

I agree with all of your items. I don't #5 on yours, though sounds unique indeed. I'm going to add to your list.

6. Doing mostly weddings, we have our "key wedding songs" to manage: Introductions, First Dance, Fatther/Daughter, etc. I've always kept a backup of those tracks on my iPod, by separately making those lists in iTunes and synching up before every wedding. Now, i can do it only once in iTunes, then play it from VDJ, and have my backup copy on hand. It's actually nice that i don't have to duplicate making playlists like i used to do w/ PCDJ/iTunes.

7. In fact, because of the shortcomings of Playlists and VF's for my setups, i use iTunes to manage all of my "variable lists" - wedding ceremony songs, wedding reception songs, cocktail hours, dinner hour mixes, etc. Similar to DHoude, those lists change almost weekly and we spend alot of time "managing" those. I can then also keep an easy and synched copy on my iPod.

Why? It's not unusual to have a cocktail hour or dinner hour in a different location from my main setup. I'm not going to drag my main rig out to the patio for a cocktail hour, so i'll use my iPod hooked into my second/third smaller systems. Now I don't have to keep a separate set of lists for cocktails, dinners, etc. on iTunes for iPod setups. Now I have not only my backup of critical wedding songs, but also a synched copy of all my cocktail and dinner mixes.

For these "variable lists" I don't use Playlists because of their dismal "saving" functionalilty, or lack there of. I don't use Virtual Folders because 1) you cannot rearrange the order of tracks 2) Once you force browser to a sort order, you cannot get back to the "position" sort order (the orer you made it in). Both of which are REQUIRED for such lists. (Both of these i've posted about on numerious occassions.) I stick to VF's for the dance set music only. I do not use Playlists at all and have disabled them.

Making and Managing playlists in iTunes is alot easier from an UI standpoint just as you mentioned. It's super intuitive and easy to do/use.

I do applaud VDJ even having the ability to have the iTunes functionality built in for all of these reasons above. Without it, i'd really be 2nd guessing my purchase of VDJ as I'd be stuck with playlists and virtual folders which aren't good for these "variable lists". I'd also have a hard time recommending it to other mobile wedding/event jocks who are tough on how they manage their music and do NOT use iTunes. I've asked alot on how other wedding/event jocks manage their music, but get little/no response.

Again, from a "DJ" side of things, VDJ rocks and i actually wish i would have gotten it sooner. But from managing music and "lists" its got alot of room for improvement.

Posted Mon 07 Sep 09 @ 10:05 am
cstoll wrote :

It does play the tunes ... but it plays the tunes stored on your HardDrive ... it does not play the tunes off of the iPod

Still lost here. Are you saying it DOES play i-tunes that are on your hard drive but NOT from an I-pod.

Posted Mon 07 Sep 09 @ 1:06 pm
djblakemiller wrote :

For these "variable lists" I don't use Playlists because of their dismal "saving" functionalilty, or lack there of. I don't use Virtual Folders because 1) you cannot rearrange the order of tracks 2) Once you force browser to a sort order, you cannot get back to the "position" sort order (the orer you made it in). Both of which are REQUIRED for such lists. (Both of these i've posted about on numerious occassions.) I stick to VF's for the dance set music only. I do not use Playlists at all and have disabled them.

Added to the fact that VF's have been known to disappear on opening of VDJ. As stated before, I, and others, have actually lost VF's made specifically for a wedding at the wedding, and had to recreate from scratch the wedding special songs list.

Posted Mon 07 Sep 09 @ 1:13 pm
bryantpb wrote :
cstoll wrote :

Still lost here. Are you saying it DOES play i-tunes that are on your hard drive but NOT from an I-pod.

cstoll's explanation was a bit misleading in context to this thread. There are two parts to this problem.

1. VDJ does NOT play tunes purchased through iTunes which are protected, m4p files. For instance, i have some tracks that i've purchased in iTunes. They are physically saved in my Music\iTunes\blah blah\ directories and are saved as m4p files. They show up and play in iTunes. I can also synch them with an iPod. However, in VDJ if i navigate to the folder that has the m4p file, it shows up blank - try it.

Similarly, VDJ will NOT read the contents from an iPod, regardless if the iPod is full of un-protected MP3's or protected m4ps.

2. However, if you use iTunes to manage music (which can be both m4p and mp3 files and other formats) and you then create iTunes "playlists", you can "see" these playlists as another view/window on the left side and then you can "play" them. In actuality, VDJ is just reading the file path to the 'tune' . . . just like it would using internal VF's or it's own playlists. With this, however, any m4p protected tracks that exist in an iTunes playlists, will show in the VDJ list, but with an error, and will not load.

Posted Mon 07 Sep 09 @ 1:56 pm
Like he said, and, all music that you rip from a CD as "AAC" (.M4A) with iTunes will play in VDJ just fine. I have about 9000 of those.

I also have about 2000 iTunes music store purchases (.M4A) that also play just fine with VDJ. But they need to be the new "iTunes plus" format, which the iTunes music store completly switched over to earlier this year (sometime after March 09). They had offered various tracks in the plus format for about 1 year before that.

I don't do videos in VDJ yet, but about 50% of my video library was bought with the newer iTunes plus format. I am not sure if the iTunes plus videos work in VDJ, but I imagine they would.

Apple made the choice to comply with the RIAA and make thier "i" devices not connect as a mass storage device so that you can't take it to your friend's house and easliy copy all of your music to thier computer (for copy secuity). Because it does not connect as a mass storage device, like an external hard drive does, only iTunes sees the device. Music can be played from the "i" device with iTunes though, but not digitally through the USB cable on other programs.

I commend VDJ for it's iTunes compatibility, I bought a Hercules RMX specifically because it came with VDJ. I wanted VDJ because it supports iTunes format music. Otherwise about 11,000 tracks of aproximatley 15,000 in my library total, would be useless as a DJ. I too sync my iPhone with all of my iTunes created "pick lists" (manual playlists) to play from my iPhone connected into my RMX as an anolog source (not often needed) or into a second smaller remote system. Plus the other ways mentioned above. Now the the recessed headphone jack on my iPhone, don't even get me started on the horible idea!

Lets face it, Apple did thier home work better and faster in a time where ciber crime was high. If you play by thier rules and the RIAA, there is no problem. But the music industry forced Apple to take those security mesures to reduce music piracy. Steve Jobs publically admitted that he did not want to sell DRM protected tracks. Also, like many things, Apple chose not to share thier DMR security with any other companies again for security purposes. Apple also doesn't like to share to keep tight control on what they share, to maintian thier high stability claims (plus, hogging all the buisness keeps profits up too).

Because they had to live up to higher standards than most, they had to make really cool, useful and simple devices / software to over come the heavy security that people had to deal with. They did it and they evolved with the idustry to meet new user demands as well (selling tracks without DRM). They shelled out the money in the beginning, took risks and offer some of the best organization sofware that I have used since MS Outlook. They do deserve some respect for that.

Posted Mon 07 Sep 09 @ 8:41 pm
LOOK FOR MY POST ON HOW TO PLAY IPOD ON VDJ.

My Computer UNHIDE ALL ITEMS( MUSIC> COntrol)
go back to virtual dj and recourse****
AND THATS IT ALL SONGS IN VDJ FROM IPOD ARE PLAYABLE...

Posted Tue 08 Sep 09 @ 5:15 am
I dont have IPOD CLASSIC NOR the 1st NANo
but it should work....

-----------------------------------e
Ipod Nano 2nd Gene.
----------------------------------
Nano 2nd Gene.
In my VDJ for some reason i don't have refresh Itunes Files /Playlist or so... ***

To play IPOD Whach U do is...::::
1) Plug Ur Ipod***.
GO TO MY COMPUTER..
LOOK FOR G:\ ( In my Case )
2) ENABLE** Manual Manage music and videos >>>> ENABLE** DISK USE
3)Ipod Drive in MY COMPUTER >>>iPod_Control<<<<FOLDER)
-------If You don't see it Your going to have to UNHIDE FROM WINDOWS.. (**UNHIDE WINDOWS FILES AND FOLDERS*)
4) Right Click Properties UNCHECK HIDEN *** ALL FOLDERS AND SUBFOLDERS**
5) Click OK

THEN

6)ON VIRTUAL DJ
Look For MYCOMPUTER G:\( My Case) RIGHT CLIK RECURSE AND BAM Ur MUsic Is there...
You can add to favorites from here../

Now every-time You unplug Ur Ipod the folder will disappear. And You Must got To Simple Step 4
Thats it.. IM LOOKING IN A WAY AROUND.. make sure u RIGHT CLIK RECURSE in VIrtual DJ:

Posted Tue 08 Sep 09 @ 5:41 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)