Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Degeneration of sound quality when mixing.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

When mixing for an extended period of time the sound quality tends to degenerate until it becomes very poor after maybe 70-80 minutes. I have 1.7ghz proc and 1 ghz of ddr ram. I also stop my broadband, virus scan and firewall when mixing, it is worse when trying to record

Posted Fri 15 Apr 05 @ 12:43 am
Could be the version u are using....Demo?Crack?

Posted Sat 16 Apr 05 @ 6:10 pm
SharanPRO InfinityMember since 2004
why is it so common here to suspect anyone who is having a problem with VDJ to use a cracked version ?? you really think there is a safeguard in it that waits for the 71min23sec to begin and then soundquality is fading ?

though the description of the problem is really not very accurate , difficult to help this way ...

Posted Sat 16 Apr 05 @ 6:15 pm
he is using version 1.09
Fully legal console version :)

about the problem... hard to say, never heard anyone else having this problem.

do u mean that the sound gradually degrades when playing such a long song?
I would try to reinstall the hercules drives, and virtual dj... seems like a very strange problem

maybe someone else have a clue?

Posted Sat 16 Apr 05 @ 6:18 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Perhaps it takes you that long to notice that your playing low quality files?, just kidding, you need to provide more details, the problem is unheard of...

Posted Sat 16 Apr 05 @ 6:58 pm
The reputation that the crackers have built is all over the forums and quite common...
So the first impression with problems is an unstable hacked version.
Not really a shot in the dark but more of a probability!!!thats why
Regards
Andre

btw:check your task manager if this problem persists,could be ram?if it borrows too much from the system,im sure the sound quality will degenerate.Make sure your load setting is more than the length of the song.

Posted Sat 16 Apr 05 @ 7:06 pm
SharanPRO InfinityMember since 2004
my advice for increasing sound-quality is get your stuff at beatport.com ! ;)

Posted Sat 16 Apr 05 @ 7:14 pm
The decrease in quality actually starts earlier but gets quite bad around 70ish minutes. Beats skip or double beat, the tune wavers louder and quieter (not by a huge amount) and the bpm tends not stay as constant as earlier so i need to correct in the mix more frequentely. I have vdj 1.09 and the most recent version of hercules drivers available. I have noticed longer tracks give bigger problems and tracks ripped at a higher kbps (i.e 320), is this normal. I have also just defraged all my drives so i'm hoping this helps a bit, i'll let you all know.

Posted Sun 17 Apr 05 @ 6:51 pm
Might be a problem with the older 1.09 console version

try the demo of 2.06

maybe the newer version got better memory management, for such long songs...

worth a try, there has been a LOT of fixes from 1.09 to 2.06

Posted Sun 17 Apr 05 @ 7:24 pm
Make sure the volume levels on your console stay between -6.0 and 0.0. As you import different music files your volume levels will increase or decrease accordingly causing major differences in levels the longer you mix. If your levels are over 0.0 and you have the gate/limiter setting on you will get a constant increase/decrease in sound type of effect. Sometimes you may import a song and not realize the volume for the virtual turntable you imported it into has decreased or increased significantly.

Posted Sat 23 Apr 05 @ 9:17 pm
I had same problems with limiter turned on, and using normalize function ...
the decks try do adapt to each other in order to have continuos volume levels.
Sometimes music is getting quiet more and more just try to reset the gain to 0db ...
and EQ's too

Posted Tue 26 Apr 05 @ 1:05 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Check your VDJ limiter to "Always 0db"
Fix your Swap file (virtual memory) in Win Xp SP2 to same values (Min-MAx) on 600MB
Turn off "Max Load" option in VDJ
Use some program to see is your memory OK like "MemTest86"

Go by this order, you will find where the problem is!
Oh, and I forget, your CPU is not strong enough for all VDJ functions!
Greetz

Posted Thu 28 Apr 05 @ 1:29 am
rugo211PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Unfortunately I have the same problem. I have a purchased version of VDJ 2.0 and after a few songs the sound quality isnt the same and lessens after time. Another way I can tell is with Atomixmp3. It plays almost flawlessly for any amount of time. For parties I end up using it instead of VDJ because if this problem. I've tried tinkering with the settings but nothing seems to work.

Posted Thu 28 Apr 05 @ 11:49 pm
I have had simular problems with sound quality and here are the things i did to improve it. Shut of the limiter in the settings for VDJ.

The issue of the sound quality after a certain amount of time is not an issue with files, software or quality of MP3s. If any of the mentioned are bad it would be from the get go ( not after a certain amount of time ). I would bet it is a hardware issue, heat related to be exact.

If you are only using a controller and a laptop, the signal may not be steady going to the amp or speakers. there is no preample unless the controller you are using has one but not many do.

I also invested in a BBE Sonic Maximizer. It makes a HUGH difference.

Hope this helps..... DJ VooDoo

Posted Tue 10 May 05 @ 9:10 pm
I have had simular problems with sound quality and here are the things i did to improve it. Shut of the limiter in the settings for VDJ.

The issue of the sound quality after a certain amount of time is not an issue with files, software or quality of MP3s. If any of the mentioned are bad it would be from the get go ( not after a certain amount of time ). I would bet it is a hardware issue, heat related to be exact.

If you are only using a controller and a laptop, the signal may not be steady going to the amp or speakers. there is no preample unless the controller you are using has one but not many do.

I also invested in a BBE Sonic Maximizer. It makes a HUGH difference.

Hope this helps..... DJ VooDoo

Posted Tue 10 May 05 @ 9:11 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)