Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Blinking Text in VDJ6 and other skinning questions

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I've been scouring the documentation and wracking my brain for it... but haven't had any luck thus far.

I'd like to know if there's some way to make text blink in VDJ.

I'd like to have a text field that shows the time remaining in the song, and have it blink if tine is less than, say, 20 seconds.

I know that something like this can be done with a button, i.e. action="deck 1 songpos_remain 20000ms ? on blinkfast & deck 1 select : deck 1 select"

But... can it be done with text? If anyone knows, I'd appreciate being illuminated!

Posted Fri 21 Aug 09 @ 3:40 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
No not with text ...

And why not just stick to one thread with all your skinning questions ?

Posted Fri 21 Aug 09 @ 10:27 am
Thanks CStoll.

I thought it made sense to put questions in different threads if they weren't closely related questions... Otherwise I wouldn't think they would be very visible to people who might know the answer. I'll try to avoid "polluting" the forums if you don't consider this acceptable...

Is there a thread intended for asking questions about the VDJ6 script and skinning engine?

Posted Sun 23 Aug 09 @ 1:47 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
There isn't such thread but you can keep this thread for asking all of your questions.
The people who know

Posted Sun 23 Aug 09 @ 2:31 pm
Maybe I should make a thread (or rename the title of this one, if I had that ability) for everyone to ask general questions about the VDJScript stuff...

There are good resources in the wiki for most things, but I was trying to push the limits of what can be done, I suppose...

Posted Sun 23 Aug 09 @ 4:48 pm
Okay, time for another VDJScript question:

Is it possible to make a button toggle between two pannels?

I know that I can make an action something like skin_pannel 'pannelname' toggle (and the tooltip text shows skin_pannel "pannelname" off) and vice versa if you say skin_pannel 'pannelname' off, in the tooltip it says "toggle" which seems like a bug to me)

Although it does make the BUTTON turn on and off, it doesn't have much effect on the pannel itself, it just turns it on.

If it isn't this straightforward, can a bit of vdjscript be written that will set a variable if the skin pannel is turned on, and set one pannel if the variable is false, and another if the variable is true?

I've tried script along the lines of:

action="toggle %vidon & var %vidon ? skin_pannel 'a_vid_eq' on:skin_pannel 'a_vid' on"

...but it doesn't do anything. I know it isn't Perl, but am I overly optimistic about what can be accomplished with VDJScript?

Posted Mon 31 Aug 09 @ 1:32 am
Ah, it seems that this particular idea won't work with the deck specific variables (perhaps because pannels aren't necessarily deck specific??), but creating a global variable (e.g. $a_vidon( and using that seemed to do the trick. My code looks like:
"toggle $a_vidon & var $a_vidon ? skin_pannel 'a_vid' on : skin_pannel 'a_videq' on"

Cool! Now I have a button that I can toggle instead of two buttons which saves all kinds of skin real-estate!

BUT... what would be preferrable to this would be to actually get the status of that pannel and if it is NOT a certain pannel, then load one pannel, otherwise load another one.

Can we read the currently pannel id for a certain group into a variable or something like that?

Posted Mon 31 Aug 09 @ 1:50 am
Another question I have is this:
If I'm dealing with variables in vdjscript, in a skin, how can I display them on the skin somehow?
I tried creating a textzone with format="$a_vidon" parameter, for example, but that isn't working.

Also, there is the show_text verb, but I have a feeling that this is something special for hardware controllers with a text display.

Posted Mon 31 Aug 09 @ 2:30 am
I'm curious to know if there is a way to use VDJScript to control the aspect ratio mode - the checkboxes under the video tab in Settings:
"Keep ratio (crop)" and "Keep ratio (full)"

I'm finding that because my videos are all different formats I have to switch between them frequently, and would like to have buttons on my skin for that.

Posted Thu 03 Sep 09 @ 1:37 am
I've discovered another thing that I wanted to do that seems to be an impossibility.

I want to make a button that allows me to click and get the file info editor for the song *on that deck*. Is this possible?

It appears that the current implementation in virtualDJ doesn't quite allow this - if you use the "file_info" verb on deck 1, it opens up the info editor for the browser, and if you open up "file_info" on deck 2 it opens an editor for the song selected in the playlist.

That is curious behaviour. Is there no way to specify that I want the song on that deck? Have I found a bug here, perhaps?

Posted Fri 04 Sep 09 @ 9:07 pm
I'm getting pessimistic about the prospects of any of my questions in this thread getting answered, but something else that I'd like to do is to make a pannel that is active based on the status of a variable or some other parameter.

Specifically, I want to have different buttons for numark and pioneer play_modes, and was hoping that I could achieve this with a pannel that would be made active when one of those modes is on.

I can also achieve something similar by making a button that both switches modes and toggles the pannel on and off, but that's a little less elegant than actually having the pannel be "smart" and switch based on the actual status of the play_mode.

Posted Thu 10 Sep 09 @ 1:36 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
According to my skin knowledges, the answer to all your previous questions, i am afraid is no!

Posted Thu 10 Sep 09 @ 10:50 am
I guess I ask for too much? Perhaps in future versions, maybe ;)

Posted Thu 10 Sep 09 @ 3:11 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Certainly VDJ script needs to go forward with new actions and features. We are just at the beggining, and be sure that there will be many improvements in the next updates. But forget not that there are too many things that the Dev Team has to deal with, so be patient and work with the excisting tools for the time.

Posted Thu 10 Sep 09 @ 3:32 pm
VDJScript is a pretty awesome upgrade to what we had before, and I'm always getting so many ideas for new and interesting ways that it might be used that are just a bit beyond the current capabilities. But so far I'm pretty impressed with some of the things that I've been able to achieve.

I'm excited to see how it might move forward in the future.

Posted Thu 10 Sep 09 @ 3:42 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)