Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Prelistening songs with NO sound card

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Does anybody know how to set up this? I'm trying to use my headphones to prelisten a song. I don't want to use a sound card, but if i need to can anybody tell me the best and compact soundcard i can use. I'm trying to put together a compact and mobile set up.

Posted Tue 12 Apr 05 @ 4:06 pm
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Use a graphics card then, or printer :D

Seriously, you mean "Prelistening songs with 1 sound card"? You'll have to use a Y split cable, which makes two mono outputs from one stereo. Thus you can connect one mono output to speakers/amplifyer and the secend one to your headphones. In VDJ, select the second (Stereo splitter) option under Sound Cards settings.

Regards.

Posted Tue 12 Apr 05 @ 4:34 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
graphic card.. looool =)

yes i was using Y split cable... but if you want to mix songs for real, buy another sound card. with only one you won't be able to use some effects and songs won't be playing with original sound.

Dj Nikki

Posted Tue 12 Apr 05 @ 5:19 pm
the soundblaster mp3+ usb card is VERY SMALL and handy

so is the cardbus indigo dj or what the name was again, if its a laptop pc. It's just a card in the slot :)

Posted Tue 12 Apr 05 @ 6:32 pm
If i am to use two sound cards, What are the recomended ones and how would i set them up?

Posted Wed 13 Apr 05 @ 5:00 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
you don't need an expensive sound card. just buy one (internal or external) and plug into your computer. all settings are in VDJ where you see menu "sound cards". there you have to set 4th picture from the top. and then select to which one are connected headphones and to which one your speakers.

Dj Nikki

Posted Wed 13 Apr 05 @ 5:15 pm
I tried this with an M-Audio external And could not make it work. Could i have done something wrong?

Posted Fri 15 Apr 05 @ 5:26 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
We cannot help, if you don't actually give us some info on what you 'tried'...
Hardware obviously isn't the issue here, because it works with any sound card connected and working on your computer.

1) Is your sondcard connected and working?
2) Are your cables plugged correctly?
3) Did you select the right option in Sound Setup menu?
4) Are you using VDJ with external mixer?

It's very simple:

1st, you need 2 outputs:

1 soundcard with 1 stereo output (so you split it into two mono...) or,
2 soundcards with two stereo outputs or,
1 soundcard with 2 (or more) stereo outputs.

The cable setup goes like this:

1 cable goes to your speakers, 1 to your headphones or,
if you answerd 'yes' under 4): 1 cable to 1 mixer input, other cable to the second input in mixer, while master output (from mixer) goes to the speakers.

The setup in VDJ options depends on how many cards you use and how they are setup. I believe that pictures cannot possibly ilustrate it better than they do. :)

Still having problems?

Regards.

Posted Fri 15 Apr 05 @ 5:39 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)