Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Adding 2nd sound card crashed PC.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello,

I just purchased VirtualDJ V2.06. Installed 2nd sound card to get headphone monitor working properly.
Installation was flawless,and everything worked perfectly,that is,until I restarted my PC the next time.
Got the Wins "black screen of death",message saying "a problem has been detected and Wins shut down......remove newly installed hardware and drivers......error STOP:0X0000007F.........

Removed 2nd sound card and problem gone. Re-installed and problem came back. Looks like there is a conflict between WinsXPSP2,the original and the 2nd sound card,or driver issue ?

Concurrently I am contacting Microsoft and Creative for tech advice. I am confident fellow members would have a solution/workaround for me to resolve this issue. Your help would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks,
Eric.

Dell Dimension 4400. P4 1.6GHz 1GB RAM WinsXP SP2
Original sound card a Sound Blaster Live! Value
2nd sound card a Sound Blaster Live 24-bit.

Posted Sat 09 Apr 05 @ 9:28 am
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Did you check for newest drivers of your new sound card?

Posted Sat 09 Apr 05 @ 10:32 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi Eric,

I had the same issue when I installed the second sound card, which was exact same model as the first - SB Live 1024. It crashed my PC. I then bought another simple soundcard (very cheap), and it worked without conflict.

So my guess is that Creative's cards with similar drivers don't really get along well.

Regards.

Posted Sat 09 Apr 05 @ 12:05 pm
I have Sound Blaster Live! Value and Sound Blaster Live 24-bit in the same computer (winXP, SP2) and work! I never install drivers from original cd which comes with hardware.

Posted Sat 09 Apr 05 @ 1:21 pm
Thank You xeon and erxon,

I did went to Creative website to check for latest driver,but there were none. From both of your experience, I truly believe it's a matter of driver compatibility between the 2 similar sound cards and WinsXPSP2. I bought a 2nd Creative card thinking that might not create a compatibiliy/conflict issue staying with the same brand. The opposite might be true in this case. We'll see.

I have contacted Creative about the crash,and have informed them of the drivers I am using. Now,it's just a matter of hearing back from them to go the next step.

By the way erxon,since you have the exact sound cards I am using,could you share with me which drivers you are using for each card,and your device settings for each card in WinsXP, e.g. are both cards enabled, or is one of them disabled. This info will go a long way in helping solve my problem.

Regards,
Eric.

Posted Sat 09 Apr 05 @ 6:24 pm
Eric, was this msg for me or for erxon? I have the same cards as you. =)
whatever.. i have last drivers for them (don't know version) but i reinstalled them 1 weak ago. Booth cards are enabled and have different settings in VDJ. Possibly is problem in operating system. I have upgraded it and there is no problems with any component.

Dj Nikki

@erXon: i'm from Slovenia too =)

Posted Sat 09 Apr 05 @ 8:01 pm
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Mangohead: True, it was xeon you should be reffering to :) Hope you solve the problem as soon as possible.

xeon: Hey there, mate :)

Posted Sun 10 Apr 05 @ 12:16 am
Thanks again xeon & erxon,

I suspect it was a device driver conflict between the 2 Sound Blaster cards as well, with the two drivers having too much in common and caused improper installation and subsequent conflicts. Creative Labs was no help in getting the driver issue sorted out. They have no alternative drivers to offer, and the generic ones that came with XP also crashes my PC.

In the end, I followed erxon's footsteps, returned the SB Live 24-bit card and exchanged it for a cheap
A-Open card at half the price. Everything is fine now, no more crashing, just lots of music.

Best Regards,
Eric.

Posted Tue 12 Apr 05 @ 7:51 am
You are welcome =) i think it was windows who made crash, not drivers.. anyway.. i recommend you to use more expensive sound card to main output ;)

Dj Nikki

Posted Tue 12 Apr 05 @ 5:08 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)