Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Plugin with Visual Basic 2005

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

dj_htmlHome userMember since 2008
Hi All!

I want to write a plugin which can "talk" with Virtual Dj and it send the bpm or the song title in serial port or send to a program (what I will write in Visual Basic 2005). I want to print out to a LCD the bpm, song title, etc. How can I write a plugin in Visual Basic 2005?

Posted Thu 23 Jul 09 @ 10:45 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
All resources on here are for C++ I'm afraid. I've personally never bothered attempting to write a plugin using vb.net. Should be possible using COM Interop though.

Posted Thu 23 Jul 09 @ 12:17 pm
Thank you!

I made a circuit with an ATMega8 microcontroller and a potmeter. If I change the resitance of the potmeter, then the crossfader in the Virtual Dj changes value. The communication between the PC and the micro is on serial port. I wrote a program (in Visual Basic 2005) which communicate with the micro. When the resitance of the potmeter get high the micro send "1", if the resitance of the potmeter get low the micro send "2". When the micro send "1" my program press virtually Page Down, if the micro send 2 my program press Page Up. When you press Page Down the value of the crossfader changes -10% (Page Up = +10%). This version works!
But I want to print out the bpm, the song title and the time (elapsed and remain) to a LCD. How can I solve this?

Posted Sat 25 Jul 09 @ 2:25 pm
TexZKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
You have two options as far as I know:

1. Write a C++ wrapper as plugin DLL, which exposes functions to be imported in VB.
2. Learn .NET COM libraries in order to make .NET apps communicate with COM DLLs.

Oh, and if you're satisfied with VDJ, then buy it ;-)

@ SBDJ: I've found this nice thread to load the C++ plugin/wrapper through C#: http://www.devmaster.net/forums/showthread.php?p=9252#9252
I know you may be interested in it ;-)

Posted Sun 26 Jul 09 @ 6:19 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
The one thing to watch with using the COM interop option is the overhead; it's slow and expensive so minimize interop calls.

@TexZK - thanks, thats useful to file for reference, by I use straight C++ for anything VDJ related anyway :)

Posted Mon 27 Jul 09 @ 4:04 am
Thanks guys, but I have already solved this problem and I'd rather make it with MIDI.

Posted Sun 09 Aug 09 @ 3:41 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)