Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: i wanna become a real dj in australia anyone know how??

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

chinkHome userMember since 2005
i wanna become a real dj but i need lessons if anyone knows how please email me @ --@--.--

--
Moderated by Lady Cameron
Sorry chink no email address is allowed from a demo user

Posted Sun 03 Apr 05 @ 12:44 pm
What is your definition of becoming a “real dj”? I assume you mean a “professional” one. If I’m correct, then the first thing you need is the “professional” version of the software.

OO

Posted Sun 03 Apr 05 @ 7:45 pm
Right regardless what version of the software you use I'm peeved off at this type of question - let me explain the way things work...

1. You buy virtual DJ and you acquire music tracks, you play about with it for many months exploring all the tracks - finding which go together well and which dont go together at all.
2. You practice like crazy at step 1, until you have a flawless 60minute + mix recorded...once you've done this...do it again - anyone can acheive a perfect mix. A Dj has consistency as well as skill.
3. BE PATIENT - you wont become a superstar overnight - but your on the road.... get friends to listen to your demotapes, if they like it then good - if they don't ask them for feedback, why didnt they like it
4. Once you have your perfect mix - burn it onto cd (about 80-120 copies should do) and get touring round your clubs and dishing those cd's out - remember your selling yourself!

I hope this helps ...

Dave

Posted Thu 21 Apr 05 @ 6:17 pm
hemanHome userMember since 2005
does anybody know how much a dj set costs in total excluding the pc (like two turntables and a mixer
and some headphones) nothing to expensive ......it doesn't have 2 be a crappy set but something good but not to expensive!!! thanks

Posted Wed 11 May 05 @ 5:26 pm
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Good DJing material is ... expensive.
Check on different websites to have a look at the common prices.

Posted Fri 13 May 05 @ 8:21 pm
arjunaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
There are some brands like Numark, Stanton or Gemini that are proposing complete DJ sets (2 turntables with stylus/needle, mixer and headphones) with a quality range that vary for example from belt-drive to direct-drive turntables, so you can have different solutions, if you have a budget problem. But as Clax said, a good DJ set is expensive.

Ciao!! :)

Posted Fri 13 May 05 @ 8:55 pm
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
The first piece of equipment you need is this software. It's only ~$100 and you'll probably be shocked at how good you can mix using nothing but your mouse and keyboard.

After that, pick up a mixer to make your mixes even smoother.
Then, the controller of your choice.

Taking this path, you spread out your expenses over time softening the blow to your bank account, AND you get to start mixing, practicing, and improving RIGHT NOW instead of waiting for your wallet to fill up.

The slower upgrade path also gives you more time to figure out what you want and need in a mixer/controller. You'll be pulling your hair out if you realize that you spent money on equipment that has to be replaced in 6 months as your needs and skills change. You'll be doing this for a long time. Buy quality equipment.

Posted Fri 13 May 05 @ 9:13 pm
im only 15 !!!!

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 2:18 am
sorry 16

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 2:18 am
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
If you want to start with turntables, buy something cheap. Turntables like Numark TT1650 or TT1610 and Gemini mixer like PS 02 or PMX03.
When you will start mix "for real" buy technics turntables and pioneer mixer.

At the moment i have 2x Numark TT1610 and Gemini PS 04 mixer at home. Thinking about buying Technics turntables of my friend.

Dj Nikki

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 12:15 pm
What do you think about the Gemini FIRSTMIX5.0 XL Turntable Package its pretty cheap.

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 6:24 pm
Or the Numark battle pak ?

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 6:25 pm
Dude, you've got a long way to go...i recommend take it slow... buy the software first, then master it with whatever is available in your pc...then upgrade ur pc...and then the mixer..finally the controller or turn tables...Just dont be hasty to be a pro DJ..it takes a lot more than the equipment..its the skill...not the equipment that matters most...so be careful in spending ur money on something thats cheap now..u will soon get bored of it and want something more Professional. Instead take your time and go for a sensible choice!
So, get those tracks mixing and get the mixes heard...
All the best.
Hoping to see u as a professional edition user.
Jam on!
DJ Aditya

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 7:56 pm
The thing is, I don't have $114 to spend on software.

Posted Sat 04 Jun 05 @ 12:28 am
so, you don't have $114 to spent on software. then what ? you'll but a cheapo mixing set like the ones you listed they cost already more than a $114 software and on top of that you'll have to buy vynils to play with you're brand new turntables ... so got to pay again...
in other hand if you buy a $114 software to mix mp3 , i'm sure you already got cd that you can encode to mp3 and learn the basics of djing...

i started mixing with just 2 laser player and a mixer for party with friends, i bought an used mixer for 30$ one voice is destroyed some buttons are missing the cd players where a discman and an old hifi player,(but i didn't wan't to buy expensive hardware until i was sure that i have fun playing with that) i had no bpm matchin hardware, no crossfader, no filters for high med and bass , just to hear the perfect moment to swap the songs, sometime it was verry hard but hey that was the spirit :)
i had first to listen all my cd again and again and again just to know the perfect time where a song go in the other...if i had at this moment a software solution like vdj i'm sure spend all my money in that software.

to be a good dj you'll have first to practice, choose your hardware or software and practice until you use it naturally then think of upgrading all of that :)

my 2 cts

hope it helps :)

sorry for my bad english

Posted Sat 04 Jun 05 @ 1:14 am
thanks, i guess i'm gonna have to wait .........your right !!! thanks for the help !!!!

Posted Sat 04 Jun 05 @ 3:18 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)