Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Virtual DJ Plugin for newbies - How to - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
There is no plugin wizard for C#. To be honest all the wizards do is give you a basic class structure anyway.

Posted Mon 16 Feb 09 @ 2:18 pm
Is there anyone that has any information as to how I can get a plugin written in C#?

Since C# doesn't work with header files, the current samples of are of very little use to me.

How exactly do the current plugins talk to VJ?

Is there a com interop of some sort going on?

Stu

Posted Thu 19 Feb 09 @ 3:24 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
DigiGuru wrote :
How exactly do the current plugins talk to VJ?

Is there a com interop of some sort going on?

Stu

Yes, it uses COM.

Posted Thu 19 Feb 09 @ 11:56 pm
So is there a COM object I can reference from C# to pass the information I need?

Basically, I need to be able to do the following:

1.) Pass an image/text to the VDJ window of the deck currently playing
2.) Add a new track to the queue
3.) Set a key-change on the track passed
4.) Fire the auto-mix event
5.) Clear the image I passed earlier

Everything else I need to do GUI-wise etc can be done via C#, so that's not an issue.

Posted Sat 21 Feb 09 @ 12:02 pm
vdjPlugin.h wrote :
// GUID definitions

#ifndef VDJCLASSGUID_DEFINED
#define VDJCLASSGUID_DEFINED
static const GUID CLSID_VdjPlugin = { 0x2e1480fe, 0x4ff4, 0x4539, { 0x90, 0xb3, 0x64, 0x5f, 0x5d, 0x86, 0xf9, 0x3b } };
#else
extern static const GUID CLSID_VdjPlugin;
#endif

vdjDsp.h wrote :
// GUID definitions

#ifndef VDJDSPGUID_DEFINED
#define VDJDSPGUID_DEFINED
static const GUID IID_IVdjPluginDsp = { 0x41dbff5, 0x55d4, 0x47ee, { 0x9d, 0x32, 0xd3, 0xc8, 0xa2, 0x0, 0x61, 0xff } };
#else
extern static const GUID IID_IVdjPluginDsp;
#endif

Posted Sat 21 Feb 09 @ 6:22 pm
Those mean nothing to me - I've never written any C or C++

I'm a VB, VB.NET and C# developer I'm afraid.

.NET has no concept of header files, so I wouldn't know how to use what you've just sent me.

Posted Sun 22 Feb 09 @ 12:46 am
To be honest you would probably be better off learning C++ as thats what most of us use to develop plugins. I've never used any .net language to develop plugins for VDJ.

Posted Sun 22 Feb 09 @ 5:59 am
There is a COM/.NET interop.

For example, you can mix C++ and C# with something like that:
plugin.cpp wrote :

#import "ExternalCSPlugin.tlb"
using namespace ExternalCSPlugin;

[...]

(ExternalCSPlugin::_CSPlugin) *pCSPlugin;

[...]

ExternalCSPlugin::_CSPluginPtr pPlugin(__uuidof(ExternalCSPlugin::Plugin));
pCSPlugin = pPlugin;

InterfaceDefinition.cs wrote :
using System;
using System.Runtime.InteropServices;

namespace ExternalCSPlugin
{
[InterfaceType(ComInterfaceType.InterfaceIsIDispatch)]
public interface _CSPlugin
{
// your functions ...
}
}

YourClassDefinition.cs wrote :

using System;
using System.Runtime.InteropServices;

namespace ExternalCSPlugin
{
[ClassInterface(ClassInterfaceType.None)]
public class Plugin:_CSPlugin
{
// You define your functions
}
}

But if you are not an expert in this area, it's better to use C++ with the headers .h

Posted Sun 22 Feb 09 @ 10:20 am
It would be great if you could possibly send me a .zip with the full source of the COM interop you've just written there.

I have been using C# for over 2 years and I've been developing in VB and ASP for almost 10 years now - I'm a fairly experienced programmer, but I think I'd be wasting my time trying to learn a language that is being used far less for new development.

That and the money is in Microsoft development ;)

I don't know if you're able to get my email address on here, so I'll dish it out.

And there are no spaces in my email address

(I've split it up a bit because I already get enough spam! lol)

Edited by SBDJ - sorry, email addresses are not permitted from non-licensed users

Posted Wed 25 Feb 09 @ 9:50 pm
C++ is still very much an active language, and still has advantages over .net in some applications - I would never say it's a waste of time to learn it!

I may knock up a .net sample at some point, but to be honest when it comes to applications such as this you want raw performance most of the time and C++ is a natural choice for that.

Posted Thu 26 Feb 09 @ 6:20 am
Thankfully this plugin is more about useability than performance - I'm not planning on doing anything more complicated than firing a bitmap onto the screen!

C++ for me is not worth learning as in my 10 years, I've never used it yet!
I've moved to .NET (hell, I used to think VB6 was good! lol)

The only bit I really need is the COM interop, with that done I can write the rest of the plugin myself.

Thanks in advance for your help with this!

Stu

Posted Thu 26 Feb 09 @ 6:32 am
Hi ya.

Can someone lease tell me how do i continuous play a playlist??

Cant seem to find any option which does that?? :(

Posted Sun 31 May 09 @ 7:14 am
Ray Spooner wrote :
Can someone lease tell me how do i continuous play a playlist??

Cant seem to find any option which does that?? :(

Sorry, this has nothing to do with plugins - Please ask this question in the correct forum: http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/20/PC_Version_Technical_Support.html - You will get an answer much quicker there.

You should also take a look at the VirtualDJ Manual, which explains both this and most other features of the software: http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/PDFManuals.html

Posted Sun 31 May 09 @ 2:38 pm
Does anyone know of any existing plugins for stream ripping? I don't see any in the gallery.

Basically, I want to digitally rip each deck live for multitrack recording purposes without having to use ASIO hacks or D/A conversion tricks via the external mixer option.

thanks,

David

Posted Wed 03 Jun 09 @ 2:29 am
Do i need to buy any kind of license in order to develop a general plugins for virtual DJ?
If so which one ? basic/pro
Is there any good tutorial/example?

Posted Thu 03 Jan 13 @ 2:08 pm
You don't need a license to develop. Certain plugin types may require a Pro Full license for proper testing though.

Some examples are available, however these are generally restricted to licensed users. All the information you need is included in the SDK anyway so long as you understand C++.

Posted Thu 03 Jan 13 @ 4:10 pm
Hello,

I am trying to write my first plugin and need a very simple thing; get the name of the song that is currently playing.

I am quite experienced developer in C# and don't know much of C++. I wonder if there's anything new about the option of using C# that was being discussed in this thread.

I have written something in C++ (it compiled so it shouldn't be too bad) but don't know how to make it work. I got a DLL file that I can include in my C# project and I even see the class but not the methods ... I can copy here the source, that is very short, if there's anybody that can take a look and assist me.

Thank you very much in advance,
Marcelo

Posted Tue 05 Mar 13 @ 2:13 pm
wongsl1PRO InfinityMember since 2011
Has anyone experimented in writing a script to incorporate the Leap Motion device?

I am currently involved in a school project where we are attempting to use the Leap Motion device to as a control.
Here is a link to what the Leap Motion device is: https://www.leapmotion.com/

Any help or advice about this or any similar technologies would be much appreciated.

Posted Wed 20 Mar 13 @ 3:20 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)