Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Those super small usb-powered harddrives??

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Is anyone using those slimline usb-powered hard drives that are really small and conveniient?
If so, are you getting the speed and performance out of these as you would expect from the typical ext. hard drives we all have been
using.

I am thinking about purchasing one but do not want to sacrifice any performance or risk any new issues from the drive.

Please share your experience with these drives and that will be well appreciated by all who are considering?

Posted Wed 03 Jun 09 @ 7:44 am
bryantpb wrote :
Is anyone using those slimline usb-powered hard drives that are really small and conveniient?
If so, are you getting the speed and performance out of these as you would expect from the typical ext. hard drives we all have been
using.

I am thinking about purchasing one but do not want to sacrifice any performance or risk any new issues from the drive.

Please share your experience with these drives and that will be well appreciated by all who are considering?

Are these things worth bothering with?

anyone??

Posted Wed 03 Jun 09 @ 4:27 pm
DjCaliPRO InfinityMember since 2006
i have them they work fine for me with vdj...
make sure you buy one with only one usb connection...
the hd's that have 2 (looks likes a Y-adator) need 2 usb's... 1 for power the other for data transfer
i was told that the usb ports don't have enough power... im not putter tech thats what i was told...

its true cause my simpletech has 2 connection (i need to use both usb's)
and i also have a western digital with 1 usb and it work fine...

FYI:
i have the denon 3700's in the back you can hook up ext. devices (hd's, thumb drives etc...)
the wd hd only works on it and the simpletech don't... 3700's usb port dont push enought power...

but i also use the thumb drives with 3700's much better less space...

Posted Wed 03 Jun 09 @ 5:24 pm
Anyone else?

Do they work well and generate enough power to smoothly mix video's?

Posted Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 8:55 am
yk23PRO InfinityMember since 2006
I have WD passport drive with videos, works fine. No issues.

-David

Posted Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 12:14 pm
I know they power off of, say, a laptop's USB, but what if you have a laptop cooler also powered off another usb and maybe another item at the same time, can anyone tell me if they think such a condition can or will affect the performance of vdj using videos and effects smoothly.

Posted Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 1:25 pm
DjCaliPRO InfinityMember since 2006
well evebody have differents types of putters so i think you should just go out and get 1 they going do in price quick...

you get a 320 for under 200.00 i thing round 140.00 costco has some good deals...

if it does not work with your cfg./putter you always have it for backup!!!!

Posted Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 1:46 pm
DjCali wrote :
well evebody have differents types of putters so i think you should just go out and get 1 they going do in price quick...

you get a 320 for under 200.00 i thing round 140.00 costco has some good deals...

Exactly, I bought one last night WD Passport 500 gB for 109 dollars at local Wal-Mart.

Haven't tried it out yet, but still really hoping It'll work well, quickly, and smoothly for VDJ videos and effects, etc.

Any one else have one they can share experiences with?

The reason why I keep asking is that I thought I remember reading on here that someone said they were a piece of trash and don't get one.

Posted Fri 05 Jun 09 @ 10:30 am
DJ KozPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I know they work great on Macs with Serato. Probably would be ok on a PC with VDJ.

Let us know.

Posted Fri 05 Jun 09 @ 10:44 am
bryantpb wrote :
DjCali wrote :

Exactly, I bought one last night WD Passport 500 gB for 109 dollars at local Wal-Mart.

Haven't tried it out yet, but still really hoping It'll work well, quickly, and smoothly for VDJ videos and effects, etc.

Any one else have one they can share experiences with?

The reason why I keep asking is that I thought I remember reading on here that someone said they were a piece of trash and don't get one.

You bought a 500 gig for $109 at Wal-Mart, for $10 more you could have bought the WD My Book 1 TB, which comes with a powercord. I have found the USB powered drives to be far more problematic than walpak powered drives. Plus you get twice the storage capacity for $10 more. I use 4 of these drives, 1 for music and 1 mirrored as a backup and 1 for music videos and the other as a backup. I also have 2 Seagate FreeAgent Extreme 1.5 TB drives which hold my karaoke and the other is my karaoke backup. The Seagate is USB, Firewire or eSata. I have it connected via eSata which is blazingly fast when downloading to the drive.

DJ RuDe

Posted Fri 05 Jun 09 @ 12:39 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)