Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: MP3 Format recommendation....

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Any recommendations on MP3 formats?
i usually encode in 192 using Adobe Auditions - I've played some128's with no problems.
I have been testing for about 2 weeks now. Here's the issues i've noticed yesterday.

I did a 1 hour set of just hip hop / R&B - then switched to house music. I noticed that the music was playing but it was like lagging and slowing down and speeding up. But when i play the same track using a different program - the song plays fine with no problems. And it only happen with certain house MP3's. They are all encoded at 192 - maybe it was a glitch but i'm not sure. I resetted everything and the track played fine....was wondering if this had anything to do with the way the MP3 is encoded.

My System is :
Dell Laptop Inspiron 8500 - 1.4mhz - 768ram - 60 gig HD
Self Powered USB HUB
Herc DJ Console

Posted Wed 23 Mar 05 @ 6:31 pm
Do you encode with CBR or VBR option ?

I encode my song in .MP3 CBR 192 kbs and no problem like yours in my 6 hour gig 3 days/week

Coyote

Posted Wed 23 Mar 05 @ 7:42 pm
Maybe it´s a problem with your DJ Console? It´s a common problem of the console, that the Job Dials tend to be "hypersensitive/hyperactive". Once in a while I experience the same behaviour you described above. Ticking the decks´s corresponding jogdial fixes it for me everytime.

Posted Wed 23 Mar 05 @ 7:51 pm
No matter what the problem is with the speeding up and slowing down, I recommend encoding your files at 192Kb, highest quality (meaning no joint stereo and slowest enconding) and constant bitrate. I also recommend the high quality lame encoder. Encoders are not created equal, if you don't believe me then do your own test and compare the sound of the lame encoded files with crappily encoded files.

Posted Thu 24 Mar 05 @ 1:32 am
gvmusicPRO InfinityMember since 2004
What is your view on LAME 320kb for ripping?

Posted Thu 24 Mar 05 @ 5:39 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I reccomend encoding as HIGH as your STORAGE device allows, I use VBR, a 5 minute track would typically be 6.5mbs. and average at 300 plus kbps.

Is there a problem with joint stereo?, virtual dj reads my files as joint stereo, but the sound is perfect and obviously in stereo, please inform me..

also vdj reads all my VBRs as 128kbps, this is minimum bite rate I allow, max 500.

Posted Thu 24 Mar 05 @ 7:00 pm
SharanPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posted Fri 25 Mar 05 @ 12:32 am
Yes Sharon,
I was playing my VBR files in winamp for the first time today, and it displays how the bite rate is constantely changing (very fast), in the case of my files, from 128 - 300, and as it is changing so fast no diference in quality can be heard, you can only feel the overall quality of the track,

Which means great sound quality and reasonably sized files. encoded this way I detect no significant difference between the mp3 and the original cd.

Surely good stuff :).

Posted Sat 26 Mar 05 @ 3:42 pm
SharanPRO InfinityMember since 2004
VBR is even taking mp3 compression a step further :)

Mp3 for itself just leaves out stuff you cant hear anyways, but usually with a continuos bitrate.
VBR now is either giving 'dense' music parts a higher bitrate or parts with silence a very low bitrate!
Files encoded that way are usually slightly bigger than the old CBR mp3, but with a much better audio quality!

Posted Sun 27 Mar 05 @ 4:56 pm
VBR rate is for sure the best.... it will give say 300 bitrate for areas where there are lots of details, and say 128 bitrate for calmer areas.... overall result is a lot better than CBR

and of course, LAME encoder

Posted Sun 27 Mar 05 @ 8:37 pm
One problem that can encounter with VBR, occasionally the software will make a 'bad' pick', If you set min to 128 and max at 300 you'll find that most of your mp3's will average between 190-220, these are the HIGH quality files you want, however, a handful in a thousand mp3's will be given an average bite rate of perhaps 153 or 160 kbps, with these mp3's you'll find that the overall sound is considerably less than cd quality and you even get distortion in louder parts,

Too avoid this keep a HIGH minimum, to keep you from having to check your files.

Just something I experienced.

Posted Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 6:16 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)