Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Request for someone to build a unique multi instance skin

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

This skin idea was created using parts from my my favorite skin from Supacon (Video Viision 5). It is a multi-instance skin designed at 1280x800 to be used with an external mixer primarily for video mixing with a third deck used for remixing, looping and mashup audio. I know VDJ need 2 pairs but I was hoping there is a way to just hide the 4th deck.

The idea is that the Browser, Effects, Sample and Record window appear and overlay the video monitors for extra space, and as soon as you click a close button (which I forgot to include in the pics) the browser window disappears. The browser window should remain open when dragging and dropping songs/videos to the decks so you can load multiple decks without re-opening the window, so to close the deck you must physically click the close button.

Here is a pic of the main decks window:

Here is the skin with the browser window open:

Here is the skin with the effects window open:

That should give you a good idea of what i am looking for. I did not include an audio fader because as I said it is designed to be used with an outside mixer/controller. I'll let whoever takes on the project decide what to do with the sample and record windows as I never use these features so they are useless to me, but I realize other use them extensively so they need to be included.

Let me know what you think and if anyone can build it for me. PS the graphics do not need to be exactly like supacons...just the layout needs to be as shown, you can use your own design skills...I just needed a place to start cuttin and pastin to get the layout set.

Also I took the liberty of including the clipbank as I wish it were done with 48 clips instead of only 12....so if anybody knows how to modify the clipbank to show and use 48 clips I would really be greatful! I am willing to pay someone a reasonable amount to create this skin if need be.

Posted Mon 25 May 09 @ 8:14 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
At this point in time three decks are not supported in VDJ. Two and four are, but not three.

Posted Mon 25 May 09 @ 9:15 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
having to work more than two decks after ten at night is not in my job description...

Posted Mon 25 May 09 @ 9:47 am
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
This type of skin isn't possible:

1. The clipbank cannot display more sample slots than it already displays
2. Each instance needs to be rectangle. If you want to display the third deck in that position, then it will be hidden when you click on the browser or any other part of the first instance.

Posted Mon 25 May 09 @ 3:13 pm
TearEmUp wrote :
At this point in time three decks are not supported in VDJ. Two and four are, but not three.

Can it be designed so there are four decks, with the fourth one somehow hidden?

Posted Mon 25 May 09 @ 9:09 pm
JeremK wrote :
This type of skin isn't possible:

1. The clipbank cannot display more sample slots than it already displays
2. Each instance needs to be rectangle. If you want to display the third deck in that position, then it will be hidden when you click on the browser or any other part of the first instance.

(1) This was used as a "design dream" as I would like to see the clipbank done. If it can't be done that is fine, but can it be done as the clip bank exists with only 12 clip slots?

(2) I am assuming you are referring to the main output video window being out of the rectangle of the first two decks. If that is moved up and so it is to the right and centered in relation to video monitors 1 & 2 then that would put it in the rectangle....would it work then? I realize when you click on the browser/effects/sampler windows the right hand side of the decks becomes hidden (as per the picks) but a slong as I have access to drag the file into the wave bar to load the decks that is all I need while that browser window is open.

Posted Mon 25 May 09 @ 9:16 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I don't think the two instances can overlap can they? When you specify each instance you specify it's position and dimensions, so overlapping would mean one was always hidden?

This means you'll need two browsers and so on. You also notice that if you load the skin djcel designed, you'll see that you can't drag tracks from one browser to the other instances decks.

Posted Tue 26 May 09 @ 7:07 am
SBDJ wrote :
I don't think the two instances can overlap can they? When you specify each instance you specify it's position and dimensions, so overlapping would mean one was always hidden?

This means you'll need two browsers and so on. You also notice that if you load the skin djcel designed, you'll see that you can't drag tracks from one browser to the other instances decks.

Okay, that sucks. Maybe a near future update will allow for true multiple decks to be added.

Posted Tue 26 May 09 @ 11:01 am
dj-e-lectric wrote :
SBDJ wrote :

Okay, that sucks. Maybe a near future update will allow for true multiple decks to be added.

Yes you can have 2 instances and 1 browser.
there are skins up there that have 2 players at the top, one browser in the center of the screen, and another instance opens up and you can drag tracks down the other 2 players.
thats why they say you can have 2 player or 4 players...

i suppose you couls make a skin with just 1 player, then open 3 instances. bingo.. theres your 3 players :)

Make 2 skins in the set, primary skin has player 1 and browser. then make another mini skin with just a player and config button.
then you can arrange your screen to suit you.

Posted Tue 26 May 09 @ 11:24 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
marksmolinski wrote :
i suppose you couls make a skin with just 1 player, then open 3 instances. bingo.. theres your 3 players :)

Make 2 skins in the set, primary skin has player 1 and browser. then make another mini skin with just a player and config button.

You can't do it that way ... you need it to be designed as a multi-instance skin. Manually opening two distinctly separate instances will not produce the results you are attempting.

This proposed skin design will be very difficult to achieve without major design modifications to VirtualDJ and it's skin engine.

Posted Tue 26 May 09 @ 11:42 am
cstoll wrote :
marksmolinski wrote :

You can't do it that way ... you need it to be designed as a multi-instance skin. Manually opening two distinctly separate instances will not produce the results you are attempting.

This proposed skin design will be very difficult to achieve without major design modifications to VirtualDJ and it's skin engine.

If you do away with the waveforms, and have 1 player in an instance of virtual DJ, would 3 instances 'talk' together??
if they were only 1 player and a mini browser which could allow the possibility of 12 samples per deck

but i still cant see how to get more clipbank, as the 1st instance would take control of the video out..
if it was at all possible, then the PC would need extra graphic cards, and then the user would need a mixer with video blending. (pioneer)

Posted Tue 26 May 09 @ 2:55 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I haven't played with MI skins personally, so was only guessing anyway - thanks for correcting me :) I wouldn't mind seeing some of these MI skins if you happen to know what they are called (searching only threw up one set).

As for the video out, yes, you would need to be able to have multiple outputs and externally mix them - as you say the SVM-1000 is perfect for this :)

Posted Tue 26 May 09 @ 4:43 pm
SBDJ wrote :
I haven't played with MI skins personally, so was only guessing anyway - thanks for correcting me :) I wouldn't mind seeing some of these MI skins if you happen to know what they are called (searching only threw up one set).

As for the video out, yes, you would need to be able to have multiple outputs and externally mix them - as you say the SVM-1000 is perfect for this :)

You still would not be able to do that ... when I said a major change to VirtualDJ ... it would be a HUGE change ...

Posted Tue 26 May 09 @ 4:46 pm
Even in a Multi-Instance skin, the 2 additional tracks would only be good for Audio. You could not use video in those decks. If you want more than 2 decks and have all of VirtualDJ's features and functionality, then you need multiple computers ...

Posted Tue 26 May 09 @ 4:57 pm
in a future time, you could take your high end pc, drop 2 or 3 graphics cards in there, ramp up the memory, 3 or 4 sound cards...

then for around £2500 (or maybe a bit more) Pioneer do a video mixer with a couple of video inputs...

on the other hand, ive never DJed with more than 2 record / CD / video players...
on the other hand, ive never had the same gigs as Tiesto and Paul Van Dyk...

maybe by the time PC hadware comes down to around £300, we might actually be using VDJ8...

:)

Posted Tue 26 May 09 @ 5:50 pm
cstoll wrote :
Even in a Multi-Instance skin, the 2 additional tracks would only be good for Audio. You could not use video in those decks. If you want more than 2 decks and have all of VirtualDJ's features and functionality, then you need multiple computers ...

AS I stated in the original design I would only be using decks 1 & 2 for video. deck 3 (and the "hidden" deck 4) would strictly be for audio.

Okay, there seems to be a lot of things getting off track and conflicting answers, so let's go one feature at a time as follows.

(1) Is it possible to have a multi instance skin using just one set of browser/effects/sampler/record window for both instances?
(2) Is it possible to "hide" the second deck on the second instance so there would actually be the required 4 decks but only 3 showing?
(3) Is it possible to write the browser window so when it open it slightly overlaps to decks to get the desired size?
(4) As far as the clipbank using more spots maybe there is a misunderstanding there. I am NOT trying to link clipbanks from both instances, what I want to know is it possible (and not too difficult) for the clipbank plug-in to be rewritten so the default clipbank plug-in can access more than the 12 clips it now supports (48 was just a number that suites my desires).....I suppose that would be a question for whoever originally wrote it as to whether they can rewrite it to support more clips!

If #1, #2 and #3 can be accomplished then I see no reason why the skin could not be written (whether someone WANTS to write it is a different matter and if nobody wants to I understand).

As far as #4 goes that is just a "wish list" for a new bigger clip-bank plug-in, not only for this skin but for general use as a new feature (plug-in).

Posted Wed 27 May 09 @ 2:07 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)