Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: New Video Effect: SBDJ Video Clips

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Hi everybody :)

I've created a video plugin that will render all the videos in a folder to the VDJ video output.

It uses directshow, so will play back whatever media files your system has directshow filters installed for.

There is no upper limit on the amount of clips, and it can randomly change clips as well. Clips can be played once, then changed, or a minimum playtime specified so that clips loop until that timer is reached. Clips never change before the end of the respective clip.

It's not quite complete yet - it does however work. It's high up on my list because I need the functionality myself ;)

I'd like some input and feedback as to features other people think would be useful.

Regards,

Scott

Posted Wed 13 May 09 @ 12:32 pm
Hi SBDJ,

This one sounds pretty cool. So it's pretty much just put a load of ambient videos/adverts/promos into a folder on the computer, then the plugin will play them either in sequence or randomly?

Sounds ideal for when you play mp3s. Is that what you've got in mind for it?

As for extra features, I can't really think of any since you just put the vids you want into a folder, there's no problem about selecting your files. If you want them playing in a certain order I guess you just rename the files to 01 02 03 etc, so that's not a problem. So I guess the plugin will just have a button to bring up the dialog box to find your files, then 1 tick box for "Repeat all" and another tick box for "Random order".

Sounds like a winner to me, no need to complicate it with extra features that aren't really needed.

Oh, but just a thought something if you did want to complicate it! Lol. What about a choice of transitions between videos? Perhaps you could have a drop down list to select between "cut" "Fade" and "Fade to black". But this isn't really necessary. I could definitely use it "as is" from what you've described.

Thanks again for all this great stuff!

Posted Thu 14 May 09 @ 12:00 am
Transitions are possible, but complicate things a bit more. It's not a big issue, but I'll leave that kind of feature until the plugin is stable and tested ;)

Posted Thu 14 May 09 @ 4:48 am
If I was going to make a small request for it...

How about being able to write playlists as an added feature.

So it could work like this:

1. Select a folder and it will run through the files in name order.

2. A check box for this directory that will play the files randomly.

3. Maybe 8 playlist buttons which can each be selected by check box whether they are to run or not.
Write the playlists similar to ini or m3u files with the files and order you want them to play (a cheeky extra would be to be able to add lines with a bitmap or jpeg and associated wait time before the next line) . . . I know it was a video plugin but I can think of plenty of uses to be able to drop that in.

Sorry again for complicating things.

Ross

Posted Fri 15 May 09 @ 12:46 am
Sorry for my ignorance but what is the difference between this plugin and clipbank randomizer?

Posted Wed 20 May 09 @ 1:40 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
@fats, theres no limit of clips in folder, whereas clipbank uses a maximum of twelve.

random strobe with speed control.

as andy has said you have a folder with "screen clips" then all of your other clips in seperate numbered folders ie, 1 ambients, 2 adverts, 3 dancers etc a selector so they can be lined up to be run in sequence or just a certain amount to be run randomly.

Posted Wed 20 May 09 @ 4:14 am
Another benefit is that unlike using the clipbank randomizer which will just change the clip at a preset time regardless of whether that clip has actually finished or not, this will allow clips to run to their end.

The one downside is that I've hit a snag with my code and the directx texture is behaving oddly. More investigation required ;)

Posted Wed 20 May 09 @ 6:23 am
Scott,

A gud feature to go along is alpha-transparency support....as well as video clip layering over the present playing video deck. That allows playing of lower third graphics, ads within the video, etc....

Posted Sun 24 May 09 @ 7:19 am
Hey again. I was thinking about this again the other day and i had a quick thought.

Maybe a little bit of extra functionality might be to have an option to have clips changing in time with the music. So if i put some ambient loops in a folder, it could change the clip every 4 or 8 beats or whatever- then even though they aren't responding to the music like sonique it has that kind of effect because they are changing in time to the music.

A few years ago I tried mixmeister with video and that was their approach to providing visuals for mp3 files. I think they called it a montage builder or something. Not sure if they've still got that in the program though.

Posted Sun 31 May 09 @ 7:42 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)