Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Bad Backspins with TCV and Maya ! ?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

HI,

first of all. Yes, of course I will buy vdj but first I have to know that it works that good. So to my question ...

I use the maya 44usb. The new Driver (2.55 5) did not work well , so now I use the cd Driver (2.55 0 ) . I set up the Asio to "very high." I used the "Timecodevinyl Config". Should I use the "Advanced" config ?? I tried that, it didn t work I had 2 0 % quality TCV s .

With my setting now it works good. (plays fine, 100% TCV Quality, s´cratches sound good, very good. ;-) ) But I am a Hip Hop DJ. I want to do Backspins. The Problem is that, if you do them ( get the record back quickly to a point and repeat that..) the "cue" point will move.

Do you understand ? Example: The first beat on the TCV is on 12 o clock. After some backspins it s on 2 o clock. But I can t work with that. I hope for some response, because I have this other product in Mind. (M*v*b*s D..) That should work fine with backspins. But I would be more lucky to stay to vdj and shute to buy it, if it works as good.

Thanks for response.

Posted Fri 11 Mar 05 @ 10:54 pm
I have this same exact problem with my XP10 so I don't think it is related to TCV or the Maya at all. My system has none of these. It's very easy to demonstrate this problem for anyone with Hercules, XP10 or TCV. Just do this:

Load up a track and go to a cue point.
Put your finger on the TCV/wheel/whatever
Rock the wheel/TCV back and forth rapidly covering only a few inches of travel
Watch the waveform creep to one side or the other

Now if this were real vinyl, if your finger is physically on the exact spot you started, then the sound underneath your finger would be exactly where you started. Somehow with these controllers the sound creeps forward or backward. This is why you "loose your spot" with your TCV. You might start at 12 oclock and end up at 2 oclock.

I personally have gotten used to it so it's really not a problem for me anymore, but it is easy to demonstrate.

Posted Sat 12 Mar 05 @ 1:49 am
thats very interesting. If that s true and nobody can tell us something else, I think I will go to buy other software, because I can deffinitely not work with that.

Posted Sat 12 Mar 05 @ 10:05 am
I know that supamisiu doesn't seem to have the full version or the TCV from VDJ although I am not assuming that he doesn't have these.

I just wanted to bring up the concern again as a prospective buyer of this software to know if others who use the TCV have experienced the same issue or can test it out to confirm this.

I already know about the crash that occurs when backspinning although I'm sure these issues will get fixed in upcomming patches.

Can someone with TCV please confirm if this issue happens with their setup as well?

Thanks

DJ White Devil

Posted Mon 14 Mar 05 @ 1:55 am
I was giving the TCV a real run through test when my Maya44 was delivered.. scratching away, latency @ the fastest that the Maya44 driver lets you use and i couldnt see any movement from where the record was, felt just like real vinyl. And i plan to keep testing this and see if i can spot any discrepancies.. but it all seems to work perfectly well!

Posted Mon 14 Mar 05 @ 1:24 pm
Great thanks for letting me know. That was my biggest concern with spending the cash on VDJ (well that and the crashing issue although I'm sure that will get fixed with upcomming patches). I was contemplating between VDJ and Serato. I think I'll stick with the better community and get VDJ.

DJ White Devil

Posted Mon 14 Mar 05 @ 2:32 pm
I'm sorry to say, but this is true. When you set a cue point in vdj and put the vinyl at 12 o'clock- then you scratch some or beatjuggle a little, the cue point will drift in relation to the record. If you need visual proof just watch my Beatjuggling video. you can see where my stickers are when i start the record. then when i pull the record back to the exact same point in the music, the stickers are NOT in the same spot.

There is an easy alternative though- which i do. don't look at the records...look at the waveform! it's actually much easier to do. You can be much more accurate in your juggles. Try it!

Posted Mon 14 Mar 05 @ 8:23 pm
its funny how no one noticed this issue and posted it under the bugs section.

Posted Tue 15 Mar 05 @ 12:26 am
It works perfect with Dj Decks.

Posted Tue 15 Mar 05 @ 12:48 am
Technical is correct. Backspins with my TCV are nothing like with records. Also the problem with the vilnyl positon is an issue I noticed as well. This is something that will hopefully be fixed in the next update.

Killabee44

Posted Tue 15 Mar 05 @ 2:47 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Someone to try the TCV but in "cd mode"
I have my vinyls for only 2 days and i had no time for full tests, but i have experience with other vinyl softwares, and i see they work accurate in "absolute mode" but not in "relative"
Virtual dj has not these options but from some tests i saw that "cd mode" is closer to "absolute mode".
Let me know,
i'll test myself soon.

Posted Tue 15 Mar 05 @ 3:54 am
New tests- better needles help with the cue drift. I use stanton 500al. I used my buddies ortofons today..and BIG improvement. Just thought people should know

Posted Wed 16 Mar 05 @ 8:09 am
really ? thands interesting. I use Ortofon scratch. Not the badest needles I think. But I will go for shure s . Maybe it s better than.

Posted Wed 16 Mar 05 @ 10:59 am
Yeah thats what i'm gonna get- a pair of Shures

Posted Wed 16 Mar 05 @ 11:20 pm
I still am getting a total close of vdj when scratching heavy. It may ne the ASIO4all driver but I have still not heard back from audiotrak. Whey the usb works but the pci doesn't is beginning to piss me off.

Posted Thu 17 Mar 05 @ 11:44 pm
sowndman, read any of my many topics on this crash behavoir:

"Fastest Crash Ever"
http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=10578

"A Video Of the Famous Crash Behavoir"
http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=10425

"New Laptop, Same Old Crashes"
http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=10073

"A New Style Of Crashing"
http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=9681

I sincerely doubt that the problem is with the ASIO driver, as you can see in the threads that the same exact type of crash happens with XP10s (does not use ASIO) as well as Hercules DJC (which may or may not be using ASIO drivers).

I'm pretty sure the problem usually occurs when using external controllers, no matter what the input method. But I think it's a VDJ internal problem and I am pretty sure I can re-create it by using the mouse to scratch on the on-screen turntables - I just haven't tried it yet. Either way, just know that you have company with your crash woes.

Posted Fri 18 Mar 05 @ 1:12 am
Well something someone can try is doing some heavy scratching with the mouse with no external devices to see if the software alone will crash.

I know its a stupid thought but then again if it does then its not only with an external controller.

Hope this issue gets resolved with the next update as I don't want to fork the cash over when I can use the cash and invest more to get SSL instead.

(Yeah I know SSL doesn't have the effects VDJ has although I'm buying a Pioneer DJM 909 so who needs the software effects when you can do them with hardware?)

Best regards

DJ White Devil

I haven't made up my mind yet on what software to go with although VDJ almost has me bought since its so easy to use and the community is great! I'm just scared of making the wrong choice yet I still don't want to lug a couple 100 lbs of vinyl to each gig.

Posted Fri 18 Mar 05 @ 1:17 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
I dont have any crash with hard scratching, and i do scratch very hard (former DMC).
BUT, i have my TCV's for only one week and i do all my tests now.
When i finish them (means i'll have some conclusions), i will post at the bug forum, because for me Vdj produces a very bad and destorted scratch sound along with the drift problem.
This is the first negative comment i made for virtual dj software and i'm in this group from august 2003 and i really trust the Atomix team, they always have the right solutions.

DJ_whiteDVL, dont hesitate to this sowtware you cant go wrong with it.
Email (my blogs) me for another advice i have.

Posted Fri 18 Mar 05 @ 1:01 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)