Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Seagate Free Agent Go Help!!!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I just ordered my new Macbook Pro and was wondering if my external hard drive will work with it. The hard drive is a 320gb seagate free agent go. I did a quick search and they said all I have to do is format the hard drive to Mac OS X extended? Has anybody done this before and how did it work for them? I was thinking about maybe just buying the external hard drive just for mac. If I just bought the new one for mac would I be able to transfer over all of my videos to the mac free agent go? Im a little worried because I have almost 800 videos on the hard drive and it would be a real pain in the ass to have to decrypt all of the files all over again...Thanks for the help! Can't wait for my new Mac to get here!

Posted Tue 31 Mar 09 @ 9:59 pm
How is the hard drive formatted at present??

OSX is able to read MOST Windows based hard drives. It does however struggle to write to some of them, there is software out there - MACFUSE for example that gets around this problem. My adivce would be to try the hard drive when you Mac arrives and see what happens. I have a Seagate that was previously used on a Windows machine. When i switched to Mac it just worked ;)

Good luck!!

Posted Wed 01 Apr 09 @ 5:31 am
that would be great if it just worked....I'm not sure how it is formatted now, I kind of just took it out of the box and plugged it in to my pc....we'll see what happens

Posted Wed 01 Apr 09 @ 8:02 pm
Straight from box is usually FAT32 - so both systems can use it - you should be fine. =)

Posted Thu 02 Apr 09 @ 2:41 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)