Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Numark CDX tables not working properly ? Look here...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Posted Sat 07 Mar 09 @ 9:39 pm
I have seen several videos showing this and some show it as a temporary fix - ie pull the cable out and back in again to make it go. This perhaps supports the theory that the problem is actually to do with dry joints on the cd control board and MOSTLY because that board has a crap earth. You can actually duplicate this problem by disconnecting the earth on that board. Resoldering the earth and screwing the other end down properly worked for me.

Unfortunately this will not fix the other issues like 'all lights on' or 'random looping needing a new cd tray'...

That is cheap though - just budget for a new tray per deck every year - worth every cent I reckon.

Posted Sun 08 Mar 09 @ 10:58 pm
Numark CDX-used them once at a club & we got rid of them-garbagiooooo-lol

Although I did use a CD Mix 1 which did well for almost three yrs b4 crapping out. So not a Numark hater but the CDX is garbagioooooo!

Posted Mon 09 Mar 09 @ 3:14 am
OK now I wont have that - haha ;) They are not garbage!! In fact they are a completely brilliant idea and I love them, but like VDJ, they can be a little temperamental - but then the best things in life usually are...

I could sell the merc and buy a nice reliable 4 cylinder japanese car that never breaks down but I wouldnt enjoy driving it half as much.

Posted Mon 09 Mar 09 @ 7:45 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
What is it about the CD drive that breaks down? Is it the laser module, the drive motors, or the circuitry? A new drive costs around £100, but you can buy a replacement laser pickup unit from CPC for around £7! It's a complete pickup assembly, including the laser module and drive gear, and spindle. It's not too hard to fit either if you're reasonably handy with a soldering iron and a screwdriver.

Posted Mon 09 Mar 09 @ 10:51 pm
Do you have a link for CPC? I havent seen anywhere offering the laser assy as a separate part. Thats what I am guessing is dying.

Posted Tue 10 Mar 09 @ 3:46 am
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Here you go...

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=411+1002467+500001

It's been a while since I last replaced the laser in a CDX, although if memory serves, it's a standard Sony laser that you find in most players on the market - one of the KSS-213 family. Have a look in the CDX, the model number should be on the side of the laser module itself. It's a reasonably straightforward stripdown to get to it if you've done this kind of thing before - the only thing to be aware of is that when you buy a new laser module, there's a soldered tag between two points on the laser pcb which needs to be unsoldered before intallation, it's there to protect the unit in transit, rather like the big screws you have to remove from the back of a new washing machine before use...

If you can do this job yourself, it's certainly a lot cheaper than the £100+ it would cost for a whole new slot drive mechanism from Numark!

Good luck... :-)

Posted Tue 10 Mar 09 @ 6:44 am
Thanks DJ Sherz - this was definitely worth a try. I located a new replacement laser unit (NZ$70) and installed it into my worst cartridge. Unfortunately the problem did NOT go away. So if you are looking to cure this looping and cd ejecting problem in the cd player cartridge itself, a new laser wont do it for you. I am determined to get to the bottom of this so will keep you posted.

Posted Tue 17 Mar 09 @ 12:55 pm
How to use the cdx to control the virtual dj? It is through the doors midi cdx? I need a midi to USB cable? How do the virtual dj? Thank you to all?
xxxx@Thx4Understanding.com

[MOD]"No license user" can't write personal Email, Msn, Skype, MySpace, Phone number and any other personal contact details in the forum

Posted Mon 05 Oct 09 @ 11:57 am
I just use mine as cd players playing a timecode cd to control vdj

Posted Sat 10 Oct 09 @ 9:59 pm
PANOSVPRO InfinityMember since 2007
as i know they do have midi capabilities though i never seen anywhere in the net someone assigning them to a laptop.
is it possible to work with vdj as midi controller? has anyone tested it? does it have any firmware that does this job?

Posted Tue 13 Oct 09 @ 7:56 am
The only thing you can use MIDI for on the CDXs is to use an external controller (like a keyboard) to trigger the CDX's various functions like assigning one key to trigger the CDX to play, another to pause etc. If you're looking to use the CDX like the Denon DN-HS5500 then you're out of luck.

Posted Tue 13 Oct 09 @ 8:18 am
PANOSVPRO InfinityMember since 2007
fuck...very stupid think...just to have midi in/out and not to be able to fully use it.
what about those firmware updates numark has. unfortunately through their site i cannot browse the firmware update history..
its a pitty not to be able to be done since the unit have capabilities ... :(

Posted Tue 13 Oct 09 @ 8:29 am
DiscortHome userMember since 2009

Posted Wed 02 Dec 09 @ 4:32 am
DazmaxPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Pansov wrote

f**k...very stupid think...just to have midi in/out and not to be able to fully use it.
what about those firmware updates numark has. unfortunately through their site i cannot browse the firmware update history..
its a pitty not to be able to be done since the unit have capabilities ... :(

Tell me about it they did the same thing with the CDN95. I was looking into using mine as a spare controller in case my DMC2 stopped working but they have done the same thing, it can be controlled from another midi soursce but can't output midi as a controler itself.

I had the same problem with one of the CD drives (which I think are the same as the CDX). Did the old unplugging and pluggin in thing and never had a problem after that. Its now over 3 years old?????????????wierd

Bugger!!!!!!

Daz

Posted Wed 02 Dec 09 @ 7:36 am
I purchased a used one and it is having issues- it will all the sudden stop reading a burnt cd- then wont eject it- or wont even read the cd in the first place- and not eject it. One of the problems may have to do with the electrical outlets in your house. Where I live some of the outlets are grounded and some are not true 3 prong grounded outlets (there are 3 prongs but its not truly grounded). So I moved the power chord to the washing machine outlet which is almost always 20amp and im pretty sure its grounded and it worked much better!!!!!! Generally in houses the fridge and washing machine outlets are 20 amp- the other outlets are generally 15 amp. Maybe this beast wants a true ground or it will fight you all the way- makes sense- I mean its a lot like a turntable- and turntables have to be grounded to the mixer- or aught to be anyway. So there it is- I think ground is a factor- or maybe having a stronger 20amp outlet- or both- but it seems to have a definite effect on my CDX

Posted Mon 05 Sep 11 @ 8:58 am
I know I said earlier in the thread that I was determined to get to the bottom of this but I never did. Spent hours on those cd carriers - cleaning and lubing and replacing different bits and pieces. Eventually gave up and bought 1200s before getting sick of them skipping and bought a VMS4 instead - so much better, should have done it years ago.

Posted Mon 05 Sep 11 @ 12:03 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)