Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Rename/Edit plugins

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi all, thought I would be best dropping this question in the plugin section.

What do I need to read/edit a plugin?
I know this sounds stupid but I want to do something that should be really simple, I just don't know how, yet.

I will explain.
When I load a sound effect plugin into VDJ the text for that plugin appears in the effect bank window on VDJ, ok.
Now if I wanted to change the text that appears how do I do it.

I assume that this is in the .dll file associated with the plugin but how to I open/read/edit this file?
I do not know how to program C++ or anything but I am guessing it is only going to be one line of text I need to find and change?

Is this Visual Basic Studio or whatever it is called what I want??, or am I barking up the wrong tree?
I really am lost here so any help is appreciated, and I will learn pretty quick if pointed in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.
Matt.

EDIT, just used reshack to look at the .DLL's of the plugins and all I can see is 2 pictures...so back to the drawing board..HELP!

Posted Thu 05 Mar 09 @ 3:55 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
You can't really edit a DLL in this fashion. You need the source, and to recompile it.

You can also hex edit it and replace the string with one of the same length but it's not an ideal solution.

Posted Thu 05 Mar 09 @ 11:03 pm
Firstly, hello from OZ SBDJ.
I have seen you kicking around in here and you seem to be pretty smart at this kinda thing.

I am really having trouble with this, been that I can't program it is making it even harder for me.
I am going to ask you a favor, and I won't be offended if you say no (a little maybe:))

Can you make me 8 blank plugins that have no function except to turn the button backlight on and off and show my text in the effect slot window??, pretty pretty please...

If you can then this is text I want displayed for the 8 effects..

Loop_Out
Loop Out
2x Loop
4x Loop
8x Loop
16x Loop
4x_Loop
8x_Loop

I hate having to ask for stuff like this but I am stumped.
Thanks.

Matt.

Posted Thu 05 Mar 09 @ 11:23 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Easily done, but can I ask what the purpose is if the plugins don't actually do anything?

Posted Fri 06 Mar 09 @ 9:17 am
Yup, because I am using both the general midi and the hercules controller at the same time, in paralell.

The hercules config is untouched and I use the general midi config to set loops on the 6+6 buttons, which can't be done with the rmx. config tool or the mapper.

So, any 6+6 button when pushed sends 2 commands to VDJ, the hercules part will send the button backlight and text I want and the general midi part sends the loop function.

Probably best explained in my other thread, see here.
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/104623/Hardware_Technical_Support/Hercules_DJ_Steel_functions__VDJ_5_2_1_pro.html

SBDJ, you are a legend!
If you need any more details or anything else just let me know.

Thank you.
Matt.

EDIT- SBDJ, I just had a radical thought, is it possible to have like an "ask" file associated with the plugin?,
What I mean is have an executable file of some sort that accompanies each plugin that ask you what you want to call it, or a config file that can be edited with notepad/wordpad.

Make sense?, or wherever you put the name of the plugin in your .dll file tell it to look at the config file which is a second easily editable file which sits in the same folder as the.dll.

I am thinking this way you only need to make 1 plugin/config file and myself, aubs or anyone else can make as many as we like.
I dont even know if this is possible, or too hard but thanks for reading it anyway:)

Cheers again,
Matt.

Posted Fri 06 Mar 09 @ 11:15 am
aubs123PRO InfinityMember since 2006
hi scott
please have read of this thread and you will see what mat and myself are going onbout

thanks aubs

Posted Fri 06 Mar 09 @ 11:16 am
aubs123PRO InfinityMember since 2006
hi scott
if you do decide to help would it be possible for you to add mine to matts as well and turn it into a loop pack

i would need

1 .dll file to read loop - (doesn't need the light to activate)

1 .dll file to read loop + (doesn't need the light to activate)

1 .dll file to read loop on/off (this one needs the light to activate)

1 .dll file to read beatlock (this one needs the light to activate)

then from there we could just assign it general midi

thanks aubs

Posted Fri 06 Mar 09 @ 12:11 pm
Plugin pack sounds cool :)

Matt.

Posted Fri 06 Mar 09 @ 12:19 pm
Hello Scott.

Just wondering if there has been any progress with the plugins?
If not that's cool, just curious.

Cheers,
Matt.

Posted Mon 16 Mar 09 @ 5:14 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)