Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Good choice or not?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

VVooDzCUE userMember since 2008
Trying to avoid the big Vinyl vs. CD debate as for me it is not an issue.

I'm just starting out on my DJ journey... I need to start some where but I want to make sure I get a good head start.
I initially wanted twin CD players but wanted them to have onboard sound-cards so I could also connect to Virtual-DJ. The Pioneer CDJ-400, Numark iCDX or even the Denon S1200 looked very good options. I would still need a mixer however, where I first thought the Hercules RMX would do the job. But reviews have not been consistent. I also very rarely read a positive review on the Total Control from Numark and the material quality looked more Play-station than Semi-professional mixer. I also looked at the Vestax VMC-002 XLU as not only does it have a USB port but also has XLR output. I understand that 'Industry standard' is pretty much RC but you can lose up to 30% of the sound quality using this medium. So I wanted something with an good Line-Out. The biggest problem I have is keeping costs down. In a perfect world you just buy and not think about it, However as you know there are still a 1001 choices.

First up and most import I need to purchase Virtual-DJ
Second I want a good Mixer (an All in One solution can be considered but it must work without VDJ should I have a system failure)
Third Music/Control medium (Either Turntables or CD. I am really not bothered)

After many hours of reading threads here and searching webites and hearing customer reviews on Youtube, I have finally decided on the following and this is where I am asking for your help.

Numark TT1650 turntable x2
Numark DXM06 Mixer
Numark Virtual Vinyl.

I would be very grateful if you could come up with a better alternative that you feel would serve me better. I don't really want to start looking at used or cheap budget names as with both you are playing the price vs. reliability game. Your thoughts would very very welcome and I look forward to hearing them

Many Thanks
WooDz

Posted Fri 09 Jan 09 @ 12:29 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
I use a lot of Numark equipment. The DXM01usb mixer is a solid piece of kit. If your looking for midi and XLR outputs though I would suggest the new mixer from Berhinger. I admit, I never thought I would be putting a Berhinger DJ product out there but, the reviews on it are good so far. Also it gives you the option of putting the crossfader in it you want from other manufacturers. Have a look for yourself... http://www.pssl.com/Behringer-DDM-4000-5-Channel-DJ-Mixer

Posted Fri 09 Jan 09 @ 1:17 pm
TBH. The Behringer scared the hell out of me when I saw it. it's also twice the price.. I think for a pro DJ it would really add to their set and is ultimately worth the extra in cash. With multi channel inputs plus the ability to add 2 effects the DDM-4000 offers DJ's great versatlity. I'm not sure if their is a similar mixer out there, definitely not for the same price. I just think it's going to be a bit too much for me with my level of experience.

Would you say drop the Virtual Vinyl and DXM06 and get a DXM01USB instead. Problem is I'll still have to shell out $200+ for VDJ Pro.
But if you think that's a better solution please let me know.

Regards WooDz

Posted Fri 09 Jan 09 @ 3:46 pm
I ordered my Virtual Vinyl today...
Looks like I'm going to take up your idea on the DDM-4000 as I have one at work.

Question:
Can I connect the DDM-4000 straight to V-Vinyl without any problems?
Will the timecode still work?
Will I need to map the DDM-4000 to VDJ? (if so what midi-interface would ppl recommend?)

Regards WooDz

Posted Mon 12 Jan 09 @ 2:10 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
VVooDz wrote :
Can I connect the DDM-4000 straight to V-Vinyl without any problems?

Yes, use the outputs from the VV interface to the channels of the mixer you want to use.

VVooDz wrote :
Will the timecode still work?

Yes, the interface will read the signal as normal.

VVooDz wrote :
Will I need to map the DDM-4000 to VDJ? (if so what midi-interface would ppl recommend?)

There is a xml mapper for the DDM 4000 in the Plugin area, so all you would have to do is download that and install, but you will need something like this in order for you to control VirtualDJ (e.g. crossfader, volume sliders and so on) with the mixer.

Hope I've covered everything :)

Posted Mon 12 Jan 09 @ 2:51 pm
Thanks for the help,

I let you know how I get on in a few days...

WooDz

Posted Mon 12 Jan 09 @ 4:38 pm
an update and questions... If any one would like t help

I have tried and tested my Numark Virtual Vinyl and it has serious hang-ups with Vista. Thankfully I use a MAC and I runs with zero errors.
Good purchase and no worries.

I'm still trying to find the perfect mixer. Anywhere up to about $600

Priorities....

Must has XLR balanced outputs for Master OUT (no RCA)
Can control VDJ via USB (No General MIDI connection) - Mapping to be able to operate VDJ effects start-stop and parameters.
If not such USB Mixer is suitable then Mixer to include Effects potentially Sampler.

So far I've been looking at the

Numark X6 or X9
Vestax 280pro or 05proIII DX or 08pro

I understand everyone bows to the great Pioneer mixers and it is this reason why they have become over priced imho.
Personnally I'm leaning more to Vestax and I really like the idea of the 05ProII DX however; only of I can get it to control VDJ (I don't know if it is possible - would like some advice)

If anyone can help with the above or has a better solution I would really appreciate your input.

Posted Thu 26 Mar 09 @ 10:58 am
stoinkHome userMember since 2009
What is the best thing to do if I buy a numark x6 mixer, and my player is a laptop. My laptop have (a vista premium) virtual dj 4.2 version, is this a nice to do? pls.... I want some opinion.

Posted Thu 17 Dec 09 @ 4:42 am
Well for 600 your in the "In between" price range. for a few more bucks you could have yourself a DJM 700 and this will satify all your needs that you posted!!

Posted Thu 17 Dec 09 @ 11:20 am
The are a lot of people, like myself, who would not touch Behringer products with a ten foot pole. You have been warned.

Posted Fri 18 Dec 09 @ 2:21 pm
Why does Behringer get a bad wrap?? Yeah I know its not the NORM!!! but for the price its a decent piece of gear!! I own a DJX750 and have done many clubs with it. A lot of DJ's said they are suprised when they mix on it but ofcorse its not a Pioneer!!! I also own a Pioneer 800 but have never had a problem with my Behringer

Yeah granted its not really up to par with its options and outputs...but like I said pretty desent for the price!!

Posted Fri 18 Dec 09 @ 3:36 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
I can answer your question with three letters.... B C D That entire line of DJ products sucked out loud......

Posted Fri 18 Dec 09 @ 3:37 pm
TearEmUp wrote :
I can answer your question with three letters.... B C D That entire line of DJ products sucked out loud......

Do I dare ask what each letters mean?........lol

Posted Fri 18 Dec 09 @ 3:48 pm
in virtual dj can be work in numark x6? or is there another version that can be used? I wanted to used laptop as a player and a numark x6 mixer. is that possible to work?

Posted Fri 18 Dec 09 @ 6:21 pm
@Auralcandy

Yea behringer is one of the worst, but the DDM4000 is in it's own league.

Posted Fri 18 Dec 09 @ 9:37 pm
behringer controlers and mixers are in a different fam... by family i mean they have different opinons from users...their mixers are completly better used/built than the controlers..

Posted Sat 19 Dec 09 @ 11:06 am
mistah_p wrote :
behringer controlers and mixers are in a different fam... by family i mean they have different opinons from users...their mixers are completly better used/built than the controlers..

agreed!!! No arguing from me about their controllers!!!! GARGAGE!!! but there mixers are pretty good!! and decent for there price!!!

Posted Sun 20 Dec 09 @ 10:41 am
I have a numark x6 mixer...but I dont have turntable or cdplayer, I used only virtual dj 5.2 in my laptop,but it cannot control the crossfader beetwen virtual and mixer, the audio is ok and other effects. I wanted the whole thing to be compatible,.. what should I do?... is there any other way or software like virtual that I can be used by my x6 mixer....

Posted Thu 31 Dec 09 @ 4:18 am
You will need a MIDI capable mixer or all-in-one MIDI controller to be able to do this. The Numark X6 is not MIDI capable.

Also, we are now on VirtualDJ v6.0.5 which has many improvements over v5.2, including much improved MIDI controller support. Pro users can upgrade for free by registering their license on the following page http://www.virtualdj.com/users/edit.html and then going to the Download Center: http://www.virtualdj.com/download/updates.html

If you don't have a license, please support the software and its future development by purchasing your own license: http://www.virtualdj.com/buy/index.html

Posted Thu 31 Dec 09 @ 8:37 am
When i sold my Denon X1100 4 channell mixer, My next mixer had to be a Midi mixer. I saw the behringer Midi mixer but i wasn't convinced. I purchased the Pioneer DJM 700 midi mixer instead. I am satisfied and i dont have to spend extra money because it will last for a long time. Pioneers make great mixers.

Posted Thu 31 Dec 09 @ 3:56 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)