Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Recording using external mixer and Maya44 usb sound card

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey everyone,
Prior to starting the post I want you all to know that I searched for an answer prior to posting this but I couldn't find a direct answer.
I would like to record my mixes. I am using a Maya 44 USB and an external mixer. How should I hook this up in order to record my mixes properly? Thanks so much and sorry for the troubles.

Posted Thu 27 Nov 08 @ 9:36 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
You can record inside VDJ, you have recording section, just select in which format you want to save it. It will record position of the internal crossfader, so you can't use external mixer for that.

Posted Fri 28 Nov 08 @ 3:42 am
Thank you DJ Alf,
I understand that VDJ has that recording section but I used to be able to record from my mixer. I used to set up my TCV's w the 1200's and record. I know I would take a wire from my mixer and connect it to the mic in. or something like that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you are saying that I can't use the external mixer if I want to record bc the VDJ will record whichever side the crossfader is in my VDJ, not my mixer? Recording the x fader of the mixer is my goal.
Any suggestions? and Thank you for your response.
DJ Kiteman

Posted Fri 28 Nov 08 @ 9:01 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

dj kiteman,

Has your mixer got a "booth Out" Output.

If it has, run a RCA from that output to your PC/Laptops internal soundcard or another laptop's internal soundcard, then use something Audacity Free software) to record your mix.

That way you are only recording what the "crowd" is hearing and no cueing up :)

Posted Fri 28 Nov 08 @ 9:13 am
Yes I have a vestax samurai mixer, it has 2 line out's. One goes to my amplified speaker, the other I can use to plug to my pc's internal soundcard (if I'm understanding correctly). Then just download the Audacity free software and record using that software instead of VDJ's recording feature?

Thanks for the help Jimmy B. BTW, that's a great avatar! =)

Posted Fri 28 Nov 08 @ 10:02 am

Sounds about right mate. You may have to experiment a bit, I never tried it, but I can't see why it won't work. Might try over the weekend and see for my self.

dj kiteman wrote :

Thanks for the help Jimmy B. BTW, that's a great avatar! =)

Thanks mate, I like them............errr, it too ;)

Posted Fri 28 Nov 08 @ 10:15 am
Thanks brother. I'm gonna try it now. I'll keep you posted w the results.

Posted Fri 28 Nov 08 @ 10:42 am
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
jimmy b wrote :

dj kiteman,

Has your mixer got a "booth Out" Output.

If it has, run a RCA from that output to your PC/Laptops internal soundcard or another laptop's internal soundcard, then use something Audacity Free software) to record your mix.

That way you are only recording what the "crowd" is hearing and no cueing up :)

Yes that will work but dun forget to change to line in n choose line in in the record config in VDJ. U can just record from there (VDJ) itself;)

Posted Fri 28 Nov 08 @ 12:40 pm
Well guys,
I want to say thanks for all your help. Jimmy B you rocked it! I downloaded that program along w an MP3 converting software to get it done. It worked and I just have to play w the recording volume. I went from Zero to Hero in just one or 2 posts thanks to you!

SpnnaJ,

I will try it that way this week. I'm actually taking my stuff to a friends 50th Bday bash and he's coming to pick up my stuff now so I can't try it now.

U guys rock!!! and really this freggin system is so good even I can DJ!!!!!
Hollar!!!!

Posted Fri 28 Nov 08 @ 3:09 pm
dj kiteman wrote :
Well guys,
I want to say thanks for all your help. Jimmy B you rocked it!

No worries mate, Man, I'm well pleased for you :)

and I'm glad it worked fine. I knew it would ;) I will certainly try it out myself over the weekend.

dj kiteman wrote :

U guys rock!!!

That's what we are all here for, to help one another :)

Posted Sat 29 Nov 08 @ 3:10 am
Hi everyone !

What I'm suppose to do if i don't have a record output ?

i only have 2 channel and 1 master ouput

The problem is if i use the master output to the line in i cant hear the music from the speakers

Can someone help me

I'm new !

thanks

Posted Mon 31 Aug 09 @ 12:19 am
Does your mixer have a "rec out" because that would be there specifically for recording!

If not, you might be stuck. Perhaps you could get some splittler cables that take the one output from the mixer and turn it into 2.

Posted Mon 31 Aug 09 @ 7:01 am
I dont have a rec output ill buy another mixer then

Posted Mon 31 Aug 09 @ 11:35 am
Im having quite a problem.

Im connecting my mixer from the rec out (RCA) to line in (stereo) mic input on the laptop. It seems when I
record it with VDJ it fades in and out when I playback. Can someone help me with this.

Posted Tue 03 Nov 09 @ 10:55 pm
Hey, my friend & I are using virtual Dj 8' demo to Dj using Gemini Cdj's with a berringer mixer. We're trying to figure out how to record our mixes. Any suggestions or help you guys can give?

Posted Thu 14 Aug 14 @ 7:50 pm
if the mixer is midi (crossfader in vdj moves with crossfader on mixer) you can record inside vdj
in all other cases, use an rca from the mixer to an input of the internal soundcard & use audacity to record

Posted Mon 18 Aug 14 @ 3:03 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)