Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Login Access without LIve internet - Page: 7

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

So login once and pull the ethernet cable! Once it is logged in and there is no internet it WILL NOT UNLOG ITSELF. It can't as there is no internet access.

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 6:47 pm
dj-in-norway wrote :
as said, tons of times, for users who want an offline license where the "requirement" to log in is not a suitable way, we provide an offline license solution also ;)
just contact support, , its as simple as that ;) you'll then have special licence file were you never have to log in again to activate it.

I guess support is going to be mega busy then. Request put in.

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 6:48 pm
stardustkaraoke wrote :
unprofessional to not be able to perform at somebody's wedding simply because you forgot to re login within 30 days

You'd take a computer to a gig that hadn't been used for over 30 days? You wouldn't bother to check it first? Put new tracks on it?

Quote :
If you log out it totally forgets the license code

So then, don't log out!

stardustkaraoke wrote :
And I see now that you can no longer download the instalation files for VDJ7 Pro

So you don't keep backup files of your install exes? Are you not a professional who relies on your computer?

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 6:49 pm
djjameslake wrote :

probably not.. most all our users are online with their pc's .... both for updates to the software, online content provided by our Content subscription and what not.

But sure, we'll see .. If there is a huge amount, we can always change ;)

Its after all fairly common place already to have to log in to use .. and getting to be standard from Apple, Adobe, Microsoft etc.

But sure, its new, so we will of course review and see ...

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 6:50 pm
So to clarify.

The offline license solution.

Does this involve entering the license number once, then VDJ is never going to suddenly ask me to login?

What happens if I accidently log out or get logged out, will VDJ require me to log back in or will it still see the license is in place?

Why not just incorporate the offline license sollution into the official release?

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 6:52 pm
yes DJ-in-norway I agree fairly common for most computer users.

BUT not so common for Professional DJ's for whom that laptop must run flawlessly for paid jobs and who dont want there gig machines online and open to viruses. Part of the optimisation routine, is disable wireless access, turn off anti-virus etc and dont put them online at all.

Gig machine is just that, it stays offline and is used purely for gigs, not messing around with word, web browsing etc.

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 6:55 pm
stardustkaraoke wrote :
So to clarify.

yes, its a license file locally on your pc, that never expire.
just as you can login now, with your network jacked out of the plug, so can you do with the offline access .. but this solution doesn't need to ever be reactivated.

As for why, its just a more modern way to identify you as user. You can log in to any pc anywhere, and run VDJ.
Some love it some dont .. but there is solution for those who dont, or never use pc online

But in all fairness, i think most of us both use pc online, and have no problem or issue with login ;) we do it all the time.. facebook, instagram app, our document cloud or what not.

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 6:58 pm
For a one computer scenario, you have 30 days before the software would require you to log in again. Within the space of that 30 days there may well be several updates to the software (which download in the background when 8 runs). You'd most likely run the software to add tracks or client playlists, edit tags, whatever.

As for "accidentally" logging out, I raised this possibility (some clever dick may log you out when your back is turned at a gig) and they're considering password protecting the log out process. I suggested the ability to hide the button.

With two computers it's slightly more involved - but that's been covered (if you search or read recent threads).

EDIT - I just realised you're asking about the permanent solution.

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 7:00 pm
djjameslake wrote :
yes DJ-in-norway I agree fairly common for most computer users.

BUT not so common for whom .. who dont want there gig machines online c.

Totally true, that some would want this, and we provide a license file for that kind of use.

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 7:00 pm
groovindj wrote :
stardustkaraoke wrote :
unprofessional to not be able to perform at somebody's wedding simply because you forgot to re login within 30 days

You'd take a computer to a gig that hadn't been used for over 30 days? You wouldn't bother to check it first? Put new tracks on it?

No. A computer that I didn't go online and re log in to VDJ within 30 days. The gig computer gets used every weekend, but it hasn't been online since I cant remember because like I said I dont use the internet on gig laptop. So if I use it for a month without firing up the internet and logging into VDJ then I miss the 30 day deadline and get logged out.

Backup laptop doesnt get used that regularly.

Quote :
If you log out it totally forgets the license code

So then, don't log out!

As above if it logs itself out after 30 days of not going online then well it logs itself out doesnt it.

stardustkaraoke wrote :
And I see now that you can no longer download the instalation files for VDJ7 Pro

So you don't keep backup files of your install exes? Are you not a professional who relies on your computer?

Yes I do keep backups of installation files. So do have backups installations for 6 and 7.

A backup installation file for 8 is useless though if you have no internet as you cant then log in.

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 7:01 pm
dj-in-norway wrote :
stardustkaraoke wrote :
So to clarify.

yes, its a licence file locally on your pc, that never expire.
just as you can login now, with your network jacked out of the plug, so can you do with the offline access .. but this solution doesn't need to ever be reactivated.

As for why, its just a more modern way to identify you as user. You can log in to any pc anywhere, and run VDJ.
Some love it some dont .. but there is solution for those who dont, or never use pc online

But in all fairness, i think most of us both use pc online, and have no problem or issue with login ;) we do it all the time.. facebook, instagram app, our document cloud or what not.

Don't think I agree with you there yes most of use a computer online, but there are a whole heap of DJ's that wouldn't dream of putting a gig machine online and would use a different machine for going online with that isn't critical. I am glad for one that VDJ will be offering an alternative as there is no way mine is going online.

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 7:02 pm
djjameslake wrote :

yes most of use a computer online, but there are a whole heap of DJ's that wouldn't
I am glad for one that VDJ will be offering an alternative as there is no way mine is going online.

yes ;) we do offer that.. no worries
the login solution i think many will find natural and flexible.. can log in anywhere, mobile, etc..

But sure, there will be those who want their gig pc offline, and thats no problem either, a simple license allows that.

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 7:05 pm
Briefly connecting a computer up to a LAN and running the software (letting it download bug fixes, updates etc.) isn't what most people would describe as "going online" though is it?

There's a big difference between being on a LAN for a few minutes and using your computer all day every day to look at dodgy web sites, download spam that's covered in attachments, spend hours tweeting and uploading cat pictures to Facebook!

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 7:09 pm
groovindj wrote :
For a one computer scenario, you have 30 days before the software would require you to log in again. Within the space of that 30 days there may well be several updates to the software (which download in the background when 8 runs). You'd most likely run the software to add tracks or client playlists, edit tags, whatever.

As for "accidentally" logging out, I raised this possibility (some clever dick may log you out when your back is turned at a gig) and they're considering password protecting the log out process. I suggested the ability to hide the button.

With two computers it's slightly more involved - but that's been covered (if you search or read recent threads).

EDIT - I just realised you're asking about the permanent solution.

Yes agree there is the potential for some "clever dick" to deliberately log you out whilst you have your back turned.

Plenty of opportunities, say during background music if you are out the room or if you have to nip to the loo.

Several ocassions I've been to the loo to find some idiot trying to operate the software. Came back to two tracks playing out at once one time and another Windows Internet Connection Setup Wizard was open.

Also there must be some kind of cookie/cache for the login session, if this gets cleared you are no longer logged in.

Also I dont connect my gig laptop to the internet to update music, create client playlists etc.. I have a seperate internet laptop that is used for buying music and downloading video from Promo Only. The whole computer is virus scanned before updating external music drives that are used with the gig laptop.

Playlists are created on the gig laptop offline.

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 7:14 pm
groovindj wrote :
Briefly connecting a computer up to a LAN and running the software (letting it download bug fixes, updates etc.) isn't what most people would describe as "going online" though is it?

There's a big difference between being on a LAN for a few minutes and using your computer all day every day to look at dodgy web sites, download spam that's covered in attachments, spend hours tweeting and uploading cat pictures to Facebook!

You dont need to go on dodgy sites or open dodgy emails to get a virus.

Scammers are hacking perfectly respectable sites on a regular basis and attaching trojan horses. I had my site hacked a couple of years ago and that caused me right issues.

I obtained a virus some time ago when I went on the website of a wedding venue to look up their postcode.

And recently I had an enquiry for a wedding and I Googled the venue as you do and Google had marked the venue's website as hacked.

That is why all internet activity is undetaken on a seperate internet PC which is fully virus scanned anytime music is added to music drives.

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 7:20 pm

if this should be a big issue with "long fingers" that touch your setup when you have your back turned, i'm sure we can do something to prevent that ;)
already have "tradeshow" mode you can turn on, where its not possible to close vdj, and settings are reloaded every X mins if someone tampered with anything..

Cant prevent everything, so i guess some responsibility must lay on the dj too (like unplugging your power cord or what not) - but sure we can always prevent evil fingers from tampering .. ;)

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 7:21 pm
djjameslake wrote :

Please note: We are not offering offline licenses for pre-release currently. This will be something that will be available come full release. The pre-release is a special sneak preview for our loyal pro users and is not recommended for live events.

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 7:23 pm
Yes...... as I've mentioned elsewhere about this a few days ago, once your average idiot gets to know that VDJ 8 has a big "log out" button which can be navigated to in seconds, that disables some of the functionality, then it's open season on VDJ users!

It can even be clicked when 8 is in show mode (the close button is disabled). It needs a security feature.

BTW Rune, I discovered that when the software is in show mode, it's still possible to shut it down from the Task Manager.

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 7:25 pm
easy to add ;) and not sure if you log out it even change the current state of the software (it might not even have an effect until restart, or could be like that if not)

many ways to prevent it from being a problem at all ;)

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 7:26 pm
DJ_SVOPRO InfinityMember since 2006
discobrian24 wrote :
So login once and pull the ethernet cable! Once it is logged in and there is no internet it WILL NOT UNLOG ITSELF. It can't as there is no internet access.

That's how I understood this from the beginning. Log In disable WiFi on PC or MAC #1 and then Log In with PC or MAC #2 and you're set for 30 days on both machines. Hope I'm right ;)

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 7:29 pm
65%