Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Login Access without LIve internet - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

While I appreciate the security aspect of the login process this does come with some challenges due to the fact that there is not always internet available at some gigs.
or internet access/coverage.
In these situations is it possible to have a dongle for validation?
Because as it stands... if i have not logged in before my gig at home im not going to be able to and then cannot use all functionality.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 12:36 am
Hi,

i understand your idea of an Dongle but didnt you think its will be easier and cheaper for all, to by an Internet dongle (in germany it cost 30 euros)..
or use ur Mobile Phone with Internet for an one time connection....

after activation and no other internet connection eith this device VDJ will never ask again

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 12:48 am
just opinion but I can see this becoming an issue over time. internet or phone goes down due to unforeseen issues and someone is gonna get seriously screwed over.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 1:39 am
What happens if you're at a gig and your laptop goes down and you fire up your backup laptop which maybe hasn't been turned on in a month or two (or longer) and there is no internet available for whatever reason?

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 2:00 am
Once you've logged in (after install for example) then if that computer no longer has a connection, maybe at a gig, VDJ 8 will run just fine without requiring a log in.

The only time a login should be required is if you've logged in from another computer since you last used your main one. If it has a connection then it will mention that you've logged in to another machine and require you to log in again. If it can't connect then it won't bring this up. It'll just work, from your previous details.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 2:42 am
So if I'm logged in with my main computer and it goes down (for whatever reason) I turn on my backup and have no internet connection available I only have limited functionality???

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 3:09 am
Quote :
If it can't connect then it won't bring this up. It'll just work, from your previous details.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 3:12 am
groovindj wrote :
Quote :
If it can't connect then it won't bring this up. It'll just work, from your previous details.

I guess I don't understand what working from previous details means .

Does that mean as long as my computers have logged in at least once they will always work?

Also, I use a bootcamped Mac. If I decide to use the Mac side then switch to the windows side without having internet will that cause any issues.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 3:17 am
djjohnnyrox wrote :

Does that mean as long as my computers have logged in at least once they will always work?

Yes. Obviously VDJ 8 needs to know your registration details initially. This new method means going online once.

After that, as long as the computer cannot connect to the internet, VDJ will work fully without requiring a login.

Even if there is a connection, 8 will only prompt you to log in again if you've logged in from another computer at some point. So if you only use one computer then you won't get the login prompt more than once, that first time.

-------------------------------------------------------

Thinking about it, I guess you could use a firewall to prevent VDJ access (if you don't use Content Unlimited etc), which would still permit you to access email and so on.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 3:24 am
WHen you are not logged in and want to change certain options it says "Sorry you must be a pro User to change this option"

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 3:23 pm
That because you need to be logged in.

When not logged in you are using the limited Free version of the software.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 3:24 pm
This will be an issue for me as one of the gigs i do has no internet available, not even through my iphone as its in a basement. I turned off the internet on my laptop and it wont let me turn off the logo and im sure that it wont work after a period of time with my controller. Is there some kind of work around for this???

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 3:36 pm
If you login once and if that machine NEVER goes on the internet after that then you license will remain active on that machine.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 3:40 pm
djtouchdan wrote :
If you login once and if that machine NEVER goes on the internet after that then you license will remain active on that machine.

But that's the issue, I work friday night i use the internet, when i work saturday internet is not avail Sunday and monday is spent reviewing and downloading music so my machine is on and off internet. I understand that this is a SECURITY FEATURE, but its going to impact a lot of people , including me, in negative ways.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 3:46 pm
If you only use VDJ on one machine then you only login once.

The login window will only appear again if the VDJ server detects another software login using your credentials.

To be safe maybe connect to the internet before leaving for the gig then you know it's active.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 3:48 pm
Ok, I've read the questions and answers on this issue. I'm concern because there are many places I play at that dont have internet or cell service. I usually have my main and backup running. So if the main system goes down and I switch to the backup. I get my main system back up and running, will I have to login or am I stuck using my backup?

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:23 pm
if not logging in causes issues and not able to use full version, then our club would not be able to use it except for djs who have paid to use pro.
You would never want your login to stay on all the time when other djs are using the club computer for obvious reasons.
Not all djs have spent 400 bucks to get a pro license, thus cannot use the program I guess to dj with.
Our internet is spotty and goes off/on...
If a dj logs out at night and then the day dj comes in to open, but the internet is down, the login comes up, he cannot log in, and I am now assuming the program will not work fully without it? Or is this a wrong assumption?

If you intent is to make every dj that uses the club computer be a paying pro license member, I think they would rather a different software was used in the club since that is a bit much. Two of our djs actually do have a license (me, and one with a license that came with his board), the other two do not.

I wish they would clarify what exactly does not work if you just cancel out of the login...or if you do log in , but do not have a license to go with your log in....

really want to know.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:35 pm
czech54PRO InfinityMember since 2012
I ALWAYS have my main computer AND my backup running during a gig. And a lot of the places I play do not have internet access.

This is really going to cause issues for me. I understand the security issues and reasons why you would include this feature, but this is going to seriously affect a lot of users, myself included. There really should be a dongle option or something for users if they run 2 PCs at a gig. The development team needs to reconsider this. I'm doing an outdoor gig on Saturday (no internet access) and was hoping to go live with VDJ8, and now I don't know if I can do this.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:48 pm
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
If you own a Pro Infinity license for your protection when a second machine is logged in the first is logged out. However if you are OFFLINE you can still "login" to the software for up to 30 days without an internet connection.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 9:07 pm
so, all the djs at the club will each have to buy a pro license to be able to use vdj8 on the club computer?

that will be a real life issue for sure.
I think we will have to explore other options for the djs who do not want to pay 400 to use the house computer.
I will still use vdj8, but yea...big issues.
One of the djs uses his own computer, but sometimes use the house computer too...and for reboots mid shift same thing..
this could be a killer for us.. too complex and expensive for the djs.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 9:17 pm
9%