Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Interesting article on digital dj tips - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

A Man and His Music wrote :
When I went to cosmetology school, they did not give me free tools, books, mannequins, chemicals. I had to pay for everything.

I have my Cosmetology License also, So i understand that part literally.

Posted Fri 30 Dec 16 @ 11:36 am
Blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, yada. Some of you guys, make me laugh. First, I did not take that survey. Why? Because it's meaningless to me. This guy is running out of topics to write about, so he picks one, and every one becomes a business genius, and decides to tell Atomix how they should run their business. That's like some idiot coming to me, and saying, "hey, you should play this song next, because it mixes perfectly with the song you are playing". Guess what I would say to that person? Nope, can't say that on the forum. Stop this nonsense. If Atomix fails tomorrow, I will still be a DJ. It doesn't affect my bottom line one way or the other. As a matter of fact, I will still be using their software.

If someone can't afford the software, too bad. How does that affect me? This is not a necessity. If you can't afford to eat, that's a problem and I do my part to help, and that includes animals. I don't cry about the many things I can't afford, because most of them I don't need. I can afford to buy the software of my choice because this is my livelihood. I just sent back the DDJ-SR today, so I have the other software. I don't know if I can still use it or not, but I had the chance, and guess what? I didn't use it. I know what's out there, and I made a choice to buy and use Virtual DJ. I don't care if Billy next door buys a Serato controller, it does not affect me. How does any of this affect any of you? I don't have time to worry about the business decisions that Steph makes, I have my own business to worry about. If I never get another update, so what. I will still be spinning for a living.

Besides, I made my money back the first gig I did. If you want to be a DJ, they offer a free version to help you out. If you want to make money as a DJ, buy the pro version, and keep moving. When I went to cosmetology school, they did not give me free tools, books, mannequins, chemicals. I had to pay for everything. Don't get me started on college, not just for me but my kids. Why does DJ software have to be affordable to the masses? If you don't like the price, you have other options.

As for the article being interesting, well, that depends on whos reading it. The first 10 minutes of The Bachelor was interesting, and then it became unf%$#&^% believable However, that's just me because millions of other people love it. Get where I'm coming from? So Rick, why do you use Virtual DJ? Well that's a very deep question, and it requires a very deep answer. It works for me. Bye.

I do understand your comment, bbut dont blame the competitive part of people who wanna crush all competition, that's a trait of a DJ. I myself grew up in the battle era of djing, im not talking DMC im talking going in people neighborhood and park parties calling out their local dj and battling to settle the who's better question. So the people you say who wanna give business advice are just in battlemode. Standing behind their local dj favorite against the competition who think they better. SO when theres a post of someone badmouthing VDJ we group up and stand-up.

Posted Fri 30 Dec 16 @ 11:47 am
I feel you, but think it's a waste of time and incredibly disrespectful to the owner of this company. How do we know what is going on behind the scenes? Do I even need to know? The answer is no. I think Steph has been one of the most accommodating owners that I know. The guy is on the forum, listening to suggestions, trouble shooting problems, personally answering questions. What's the name of the guy that owns Serato, Tracktor, Pioneer? You talk about competition? I came up in a time when DJs did not even speak to each other. Would not tell you the name of the song that was playing, and cover the record label so you did not even know the name of the company.

This only applies to me. I don't know what Microsoft is doing. I don't know what Chrysler is doing. I don't have the time or energy to worry about what other people are doing. I don't agree with giving the software away for free. But guess what, it's not my business and if that's what he wants to do, so be it. It does not affect me, and I will not waste my time trying to figure out his business plan.

This is my software of choice. I love Virtual DJ. It does everything that I need it to do, and so much more. The forum offers great help, and I get along with most of the people here. Unlike most here, I have actually sold this software to DJs at conventions. However, I don't hate Serato. I won't even bad mouth them. I don't have first hand knowledge, but I believe it is a great software. It just did not do what I needed it to do, when making my decision on which software to buy. The Honda Odyssey is a great mini van, and is ranked #1 by most the experts. I DON'T CARE. It lacks the feature that means a great deal to me, fold in the floor seats. I don't hate Honda owners, and Honda owners have never said that I'm driving a "toy mini van, or an unprofessional mini van". I don't know what the rest of you guys drive, and I don't care. If I am spending time looking at what others are doing, then I am taking the focus off of myself.

Don't get this twisted. I learn something everyday from other people. However, that is a benefit. I am getting something in return. What is the return I get from worrying about what Honda or Serato is doing? I am spending too much time on this mutha&*(%$# thread. On the other hand, maybe someone will see this post and say, "hey, maybe I could use my time on myself, and not worry so much about what others are doing". This is not my forum, and everyone is free to bash the perceived shortcomings of the software. I don't know, maybe Steph welcomes all the people telling him how to run his business. I know that I can only change things that are under my control, the rest I let go.

Happy New Year everyone, and be safe and healthy.

Posted Fri 30 Dec 16 @ 11:49 pm
lincol2PRO InfinityMember since 2011

Happy New Year you my brotha and the families of VIRTUAL DJ.

Posted Sat 31 Dec 16 @ 12:11 am
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Everybody who has at least 1/2 a brain should welcome advise, suggestions and constructive criticism.
No one knows where, or how a good idea will be born.

I do agree that the Atomix management are in a vastly superior position to users like myself to judge what is best.

Long ago I traveled around with a couple of international chess masters, one had just wrote a book which I had studied. I offered well meant advice which he appeared to reject, and he perhaps showed a little contempt. He was, and still is a much better chessplayer than myself. After that I did not think he was quite so clever. This guy is now the leading writer on chess matters for the UK press.

Posted Sat 31 Dec 16 @ 12:25 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, yada. Some of you guys, make me laugh

And it was nice to read your car analogy just one more time before the new year, looking forward to reading it again in 2017 :).

Posted Sat 31 Dec 16 @ 3:28 am
Sometimes you have to keep repeating yourself, before they get it. They may never get it, but I will keep using it, because it seems very easy to grasp. I don't want to go too deep, or it will go over their heads. It seems that you got it.

Posted Sat 31 Dec 16 @ 3:42 am
A couple of things come to mind...

1) As someone that has come to Virtual DJ via Traktor, I would love to see VDJ do a couple of dedicated controllers. I think they do an amazing job taking what's out there and adapting those controllers to their product but it's not quite the same and in the couple of controllers I have used they are off ever so slightly. VDJ has some amazing functionality and it would be cool to see what hardware they could design to take advantage of that functionality.

2) Without better sales information it is really hard to say how Virtual DJ fits into the market or what they should do in the future. Most of the DJ's I know use Serato, then Rekordbox for CDJ's, then Traktor. I can't think of any that I have met or know that use VDJ professionally. This isn't a knock on VDJ as I personally quite like it. If they want to go after that market I do have a couple of suggestions.

a) Automated Song Preparation - I love DJing. I hate preparing to DJ. And honestly in comparison to some of the competitors, preparing music in VDJ takes quite a bit longer. If VDJ can improved their key detection, beat gridding, and improve automated cue points, I think that would be huge.

b) Improved Song Recommendation - I know this in there but I would love to see this improved dramatically.

c) Automated Song Management - Some of this is already available via plugins and filters.

d) Dedicated Hardware - Did I mention dedicated hardware???

e) Improved effects

Posted Sat 31 Dec 16 @ 8:03 am
Great suggestions. There is a big difference in what you just said, and what others have said.

Posted Sat 31 Dec 16 @ 8:52 am

As this thread is evolving into a requests list, I'll add a small request for the search bar.

One small fix/option that'd mean a lot to my workflow.

I usually use the search bar to search by key code, this works well if I'm searching for 3a or 6a for example, but when I enter 1a I get results for 1a and 11a, when I enter 2a I get results for 2a and 12a, this makes searching more time consuming. A filter that interprets input 100% literally would be one solution, so repeated characters don't show.

Someone may say simply order the column by key, but of course I order my column by BPM especially when navigating through folders with a wide BPM range like hip hop.

So a fix here would save me time.

Something Rekordbox DJ seems to have implemented well is the "Show only compatible songs" filter, now the parameters of this filter should be modifiable on the fly. For example tempo +/- 5% and is a compatible key, or for more accurate matching +/- 3% and is the same key. This is something that'd be more powerful if it could be accessed from the search bar/song list window, rather than having to make filter folders etc.

Easy adjustments that'd add a lot more power to the software, these are the areas worth nailing.

Posted Sat 31 Dec 16 @ 2:56 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Maybe harmonic should have a leading zero, I've never tried searching

Also the accord pad page is a compatible search tool with no filter folders.
I'm trying to rethink it for non mastertempo setups.

Posted Sat 31 Dec 16 @ 3:11 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
bagpuss wrote :

I usually use the search bar to search by key code, this works well if I'm searching for 3a or 6a for example, but when I enter 1a I get results for 1a and 11a, when I enter 2a I get results for 2a and 12a, this makes searching more time consuming. A filter that interprets input 100% literally would be one solution, so repeated characters don't show.

Did you try to seach like this:

"1a"
"2a"

(yes, with quotation marks)

I believe you know this already, but you could create a filter folder with the action:

group by key

Posted Mon 02 Jan 17 @ 10:17 am
I feel you, but think it's a waste of time and incredibly disrespectful to the owner of this company. How do we know what is going on behind the scenes? Do I even need to know? The answer is no. I think Steph has been one of the most accommodating owners that I know. The guy is on the forum, listening to suggestions, trouble shooting problems, personally answering questions. What's the name of the guy that owns Serato, Tracktor, Pioneer? You talk about competition? I came up in a time when DJs did not even speak to each other. Would not tell you the name of the song that was playing, and cover the record label so you did not even know the name of the company.

This only applies to me. I don't know what Microsoft is doing. I don't know what Chrysler is doing. I don't have the time or energy to worry about what other people are doing. I don't agree with giving the software away for free. But guess what, it's not my business and if that's what he wants to do, so be it. It does not affect me, and I will not waste my time trying to figure out his business plan.

This is my software of choice. I love Virtual DJ. It does everything that I need it to do, and so much more. The forum offers great help, and I get along with most of the people here. Unlike most here, I have actually sold this software to DJs at conventions. However, I don't hate Serato. I won't even bad mouth them. I don't have first hand knowledge, but I believe it is a great software. It just did not do what I needed it to do, when making my decision on which software to buy. The Honda Odyssey is a great mini van, and is ranked #1 by most the experts. I DON'T CARE. It lacks the feature that means a great deal to me, fold in the floor seats. I don't hate Honda owners, and Honda owners have never said that I'm driving a "toy mini van, or an unprofessional mini van". I don't know what the rest of you guys drive, and I don't care. If I am spending time looking at what others are doing, then I am taking the focus off of myself.

Don't get this twisted. I learn something everyday from other people. However, that is a benefit. I am getting something in return. What is the return I get from worrying about what Honda or Serato is doing? I am spending too much time on this mutha&*(%$# thread. On the other hand, maybe someone will see this post and say, "hey, maybe I could use my time on myself, and not worry so much about what others are doing". This is not my forum, and everyone is free to bash the perceived shortcomings of the software. I don't know, maybe Steph welcomes all the people telling him how to run his business. I know that I can only change things that are under my control, the rest I let go.

Cars and vans F#@k all that, We are djs, and whats wrong with wanting your tool to be considered the best. I look at this just like a battle. In a battle you study your opponent to know what he is capable of and you build your set to top his best set. You got Alpha males in here that take a bad article about VDJ and stand up. You should be proud instead of telling them they are wrong to react the way we do. Even if we are giving suggestions, that out of lave for the software, so dont throw it back in our faces. Realize these people are only voicing opinions and its out of love for the software. You dont have to take the suggestions but dont make it where
you try to scold us for giving them. And dont think VDJ doesnt have room for improvement because it does. And yet its still better than the competition and a lot of that is from user suggestions. And if you dont want us going this route stop letting post that downplay VDJ remain posted, because its gonna be the same outcome.

Posted Mon 02 Jan 17 @ 12:53 pm
Do you know the reason Rekordbox continues to increase in user numbers, besides it's Parent Company being Pioneer? Serato DJ continues to bleed out users. I use all three, visit all three forums, and in the last six-nine months, Serato has seen a decline in users and a large uptick in quality issues and dis satisfied customers. The die hard Mac users now complain about the issues that once plagued PC users, and their video plugin is garbage. They recommend mac users use mix emergency.

I think Serato paid them a pretty penny to write that article.

Posted Mon 02 Jan 17 @ 6:34 pm

[/quote]

Did you try to seach like this:

"1a"
"2a"

(yes, with quotation marks)

I believe you know this already, but you could create a filter folder with the action:

group by key
[/quote]

Yes I use quotation marks and the result is as earlier stated, so still think a fix or option is needed, so a 1a only returns "1a" and not "11a".

Posted Mon 02 Jan 17 @ 8:15 pm

PachN,

Yes I use quotation marks and the result is as earlier stated, so still think a fix or option is needed, so a 1a only returns "1a" and not "11a".

Posted Mon 02 Jan 17 @ 8:16 pm
v8 doesn't display G#m as "1a", it shows "01a" included the leading zero and it's not a problem.

Posted Mon 02 Jan 17 @ 9:47 pm
locodog wrote :
v8 doesn't display G#m as "1a", it shows "01a" included the leading zero and it's not a problem.

It is if you're using the more reliable MIK (results showing in the comments section.

Posted Mon 02 Jan 17 @ 9:57 pm
then have v8 use the MIK value to write to the vdj's key tag.

Posted Mon 02 Jan 17 @ 10:05 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
It's getting so we need a week to study AMAHM's comments.

Posted Mon 02 Jan 17 @ 10:55 pm
63%