Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Interesting article on digital dj tips - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I saw this article on digital dj tips and found it quite interesting. I have to agree with them about the future of Virtual DJ and the other smaller dj softwares. Here's what they said. What's your opinions?

'The fate of Virtual DJ and the smaller brands'

Of the other brands, Virtual DJ is the one that's seen the biggest decline among our readership this year, perhaps due to the lack of official hardware partners - although the platform is still the choice of many, especially in the mobile community. Looking forward a few years, though, it's becoming increasingly hard to see a major place for it, or other, smaller, brands such as Mixvibes Cross DJ or Deckadance, as the bigger players continue to develop full ecosystems for their users as just described.

Posted Wed 28 Dec 16 @ 6:05 pm
Link?

Posted Wed 28 Dec 16 @ 6:19 pm
I wonder what gives them (well, Phil) the idea that Virtual DJ is "small"?

Posted Wed 28 Dec 16 @ 7:03 pm
Maybe small as companies go but astronomical in users.

I'm really amazed that Atomix hasn't been bought by Rane, Pioneer or InMusic so far. Counting down the days though.

Posted Wed 28 Dec 16 @ 7:30 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Product market price is critical.
Once Atomix get a customer using the full scope of their software it is unlikely they will move to another.
I suspect that Atomix can reduce their product price thus gaining a massive increase in their user base.
Existing users are happy to contribute to the existence of Atomix via additions to their software such as the remote, and the controversial CU.
There is another element, and that is the current rejection of globalisation, and global domination by the "money men". It pleases me that they have not swallowed up Atomix.

Posted Wed 28 Dec 16 @ 10:26 pm
I have a Pioneer controller which I view coldly..it does the job.
Atomix however seems to have my heart.
I don't like the cold corporate thing.

In the movie below the "money man" did not win!

It's a Wonderful Life is a 1946 American Christmas fantasy drama film produced and directed by ... The film stars James Stewart as George Bailey, a man who has given up his dreams in order to help others, and whose imminent suicide on ...

I live in hope.

Posted Wed 28 Dec 16 @ 10:53 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
groovindj wrote :
I wonder what gives them (well, Phil) the idea that Virtual DJ is "small"?

Perhaps vdj users are too busy to spend time fill out ddt's survey.
Lets face it all the dj blogs are just targeted advertising, serato will put out a press release if they get a new chair for their office, the ddt forum is mostly traktor users, there does also seem to be a blindspot for new features in other sw that,has been in vdj for years.

As for actual user numbers, most new djs will start with vdj, only a small percent (of the thousands) need to buy pro for atomix to meet their business plan.

Posted Wed 28 Dec 16 @ 11:41 pm
VDJ needs to poke its chest out. Get B-Boy on em, this is the equivalent of a DJ being called out. That's just the hood, compounded by the DJ in me. Time to throw some events, host some battles, License agreements with an OEM dj company like Voxoa introduce some mixer and controllers. Endorse some djs, Throw some EDM festivals.
Dont keep yourself visible you will be forgotten.

Posted Thu 29 Dec 16 @ 12:37 am
Decline in readership! Rekord box and new controllers bundled with Serato are going to get more readership, even from VDJ users.

Posted Thu 29 Dec 16 @ 6:31 am
kradcliffe wrote :

I'm really amazed that Atomix hasn't been bought by Rane, Pioneer or InMusic so far. Counting down the days though.

I also thought that somebody like InMusic might buy Atomix. I think that would be a very good move for Virtual Dj as they would have the backing of some of the major hardware manufacturers.

Posted Thu 29 Dec 16 @ 11:56 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003

I'm not sure if they'd want to compete with themselves, as in their eyes Serato is basically the same thing, you could once say two products for different markets, but now they're both fighting for the middle ground; the working DJ, although Serato and Rekordbox go the extra mile with high profile sponsorships and branding, making them the obvious choice for the brand/image conscious club DJ, although as we know some stick with VDJ for the extra features and flexibility it offers.

DJ'ing for most is a flash in the pan, and with entry level now cheaper than ever, imagine how many wannabe DJs spawned out of Christmas alone, perhaps millions of people around the world will have got a cheap controller over the holiday season, and how many of them will be opening a box that says Virtual DJ on it? With VDJ inside? Not many...

In this industry that's not a sustainable position to be in, there has to be a strategy, either a takeover or a solid partnership with a name that makes good DJ hardware, but with Pioneer and Inmusic out of bounds, that doesn't leave many big suitable players left.

Posted Thu 29 Dec 16 @ 3:09 pm
The issue is perception. VDJ is not considered top end software but it has a top end price.

As long term users we know that's not really true, but to outsiders and potential customers that to me is a barrier, especially since DJ apps (albeit quite basic) can be had for a couple of dollars on iOS and Android. Some of them even allow Spotify integration and aside from the legalities these are going to be more popular.

Posted Thu 29 Dec 16 @ 3:48 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Atomix needs to re-think its positions in this ever changing market; just glancing over the home page I see this:

"Unlike some competitors, it doesn't rely on your years of experience learning how to DJ, but instead uses modern technology to help you mix better by focusing on the artistic side of the mix."

Firstly, years of experience will always be relevant for DJs including when it comes down to mixing, as someone whose been doing this for many years, I'm still improving the way I mix and coming up with new ways of doing things. The second point "unlike some competitors" who are these competitors that don't have sync, BPMs and waveforms? Do any relevant competitors take away mixing aids in 2016 soon to be 2017? I don't think so.

I came to VDJ in 2003, at the time it was a choice between VDJ or Traktor, and I found VDJ to be more accessible and 'fun', whilst Traktor only supported the Oxygen 8 keyboard as a controller, VDJ supported products like the Hercules DJ console and then later the XP10s. I was a noob so I appreciated the user friendly interface and the mixing aids, and fortunately both I and the software have come a long way since 03.

But if I was that kid coming into the game today, I would have so much choice, any peers I might have in the DJ community would likely advocate SDJ, Traktor or RB DJ, and any heroes I have that use software would also be on one of those platforms, and guess what? My cheap controller would've come with one of those programs, and each of those programs gives any Joe the ability to beatmix out of the box (upto a point) just like VDJ.

So the question is, why would anyone new to DJing choose VDJ? Not many are likely to understand the intricacies of VDJ like the long time users do, instead they'll see a product that only looks to be aspiring to point 'n' click mouse DJs, to the market of DJs who aren't willing to invest in a $100 controller (with free software from Pioneer or Inmusic).

If Virtual DJ isn't packaged exclusively with any desirable controllers, then the market of new users coming to VDJ looks increasingly small:

- Mobile DJs
- Point n click bedroom DJs
- Unsatisfied users of Serato/RB

Bearing in mind the competitors aren't standing still, and they're looking to fix issues and appeal more to working/mobile DJs, it does leave VDJ's future as a small niche product, unless of course something big happens.

Posted Thu 29 Dec 16 @ 6:03 pm
It might be near the time for Atomix to destroy their competitors. The demo version could be made fully functional, perhaps restricting a few of the more sophisticated options. Any downloaded addon extras would only be available to those who have a license, along with things like the remote, CU and forum help.
Let the DJ's use VDJ8 for free.
Sell the extras!

This is the nuclear doomsday option.

Posted Thu 29 Dec 16 @ 9:00 pm
Hm..I hit the quotes button on my phone!

Posted Thu 29 Dec 16 @ 9:01 pm
the interesting thing is we now know not many VDJ users visit that web page.

Posted Thu 29 Dec 16 @ 9:25 pm
How many users does VDJ have?

In my opinion most users will eventually buy a license, but it might take years!

Posted Thu 29 Dec 16 @ 9:36 pm
I honestly don't think VDJ needs to rely on being packaged with hardware.

I mean, will a DJ who buys a controller just blindy go with whatever software is in the box without checking the market and making an informed decision for themselves?

With the cheaper controllers maybe, because they're more likely to sell to beginners who won't initially be bothered about (or aware of) certain features. With those guys, VDJ is likely to be off their radar price wise anyway.

Then as you go up the rungs of the ladder to the more expensive controllers, they're more likely to be bought by experienced DJs who already know what software's out there and what they prefer - so it doesn't matter what's in the box. They're probably already using their S/W of choice.

Posted Thu 29 Dec 16 @ 9:37 pm
Blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, yada. Some of you guys, make me laugh. First, I did not take that survey. Why? Because it's meaningless to me. This guy is running out of topics to write about, so he picks one, and every one becomes a business genius, and decides to tell Atomix how they should run their business. That's like some idiot coming to me, and saying, "hey, you should play this song next, because it mixes perfectly with the song you are playing". Guess what I would say to that person? Nope, can't say that on the forum. Stop this nonsense. If Atomix fails tomorrow, I will still be a DJ. It doesn't affect my bottom line one way or the other. As a matter of fact, I will still be using their software.

If someone can't afford the software, too bad. How does that affect me? This is not a necessity. If you can't afford to eat, that's a problem and I do my part to help, and that includes animals. I don't cry about the many things I can't afford, because most of them I don't need. I can afford to buy the software of my choice because this is my livelihood. I just sent back the DDJ-SR today, so I have the other software. I don't know if I can still use it or not, but I had the chance, and guess what? I didn't use it. I know what's out there, and I made a choice to buy and use Virtual DJ. I don't care if Billy next door buys a Serato controller, it does not affect me. How does any of this affect any of you? I don't have time to worry about the business decisions that Steph makes, I have my own business to worry about. If I never get another update, so what. I will still be spinning for a living.

Besides, I made my money back the first gig I did. If you want to be a DJ, they offer a free version to help you out. If you want to make money as a DJ, buy the pro version, and keep moving. When I went to cosmetology school, they did not give me free tools, books, mannequins, chemicals. I had to pay for everything. Don't get me started on college, not just for me but my kids. Why does DJ software have to be affordable to the masses? If you don't like the price, you have other options.

As for the article being interesting, well, that depends on whos reading it. The first 10 minutes of The Bachelor was interesting, and then it became unf%$#&^% believable However, that's just me because millions of other people love it. Get where I'm coming from? So Rick, why do you use Virtual DJ? Well that's a very deep question, and it requires a very deep answer. It works for me. Bye.

Posted Fri 30 Dec 16 @ 10:53 am
Here endeth the lesson. Amen.

:-)

Posted Fri 30 Dec 16 @ 10:57 am
32%