Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Milkdrop Issue - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Yes, saw the video. That's why I asked about the manual start of the effect :-)

Posted Wed 26 Nov 14 @ 7:20 am
If you notice, it stops before he manually restarts it. The only way to get it back alive it to manually start it... but we'll see on the clean collection!

Posted Wed 26 Nov 14 @ 1:09 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
But the video doesn't actually show it stopping.

Posted Wed 26 Nov 14 @ 2:44 pm
I didn't saw a stopping in the video, too.

Please remember what SB said: Milkdrop must run in the Player window and from there to the master output.
Not only in the master-window ! That will cause problems.

Posted Thu 27 Nov 14 @ 10:00 am
Exactly - unlike v7, the visualisation is active where needed.

Left and right decks audio = vis on the master
Left deck video, right deck audio = vis on right deck
Left deck audio, right deck video = vis on left deck

So the video showed it disappearing and deactivating on the master - this is normal behaviour. The plugin should have moved to the audio deck, but the video didn't show if this was the case or not.

Posted Thu 27 Nov 14 @ 11:39 am
I have it set to activate milkdrop on audio only files, which to me, should mean, if a video isnt playing, and audio only is playing, then milkdrop should be activated in the audio only deck. Yet, no less than 10 times last night, I fade over from a video to a audio only file, I fade over to a black screen. What am I missing?

Posted Thu 27 Nov 14 @ 7:25 pm
I don't know, as I said, I have been completely unable to replicate your issue, and thus have no way to fix it.

As I've asked several times now, is the effect active on the audio deck (not in the video effect slot, in the actual deck effect slot) when you have one video and one audio file?

Posted Thu 27 Nov 14 @ 10:52 pm
Perhaps this idea helps:
1) Set Milkdrop in your options for audio only...
2) Load a video to deck 1 at first to activate video (if you set the video-start by load)
3) Do not click into the main video-window to activate it !
3) Now load an audio to deck 2 and then to deck 1

I think, it will work, that the milkdrops are now in your players and not only in the main-output-window.

Posted Fri 28 Nov 14 @ 3:28 pm
djragman wrote :
Perhaps this idea helps:
1) Set Milkdrop in your options for audio only...
2) Load a video to deck 1 at first to activate video (if you set the video-start by load)
3) Do not click into the main video-window to activate it !
3) Now load an audio to deck 2 and then to deck 1

I think, it will work, that the milkdrops are now in your players and not only in the main-output-window.

Hello I tried this with no success. Please help me understand what I'm doing wrong. I tried pointing out as clearly as I could if milkdrop was running as a deck effect, master effect, or both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaSh2b7nH_k&feature=youtu.be

Posted Fri 28 Nov 14 @ 4:58 pm
Thanks for the suggestions. I do click the screen to activate video. I *wont* do that. Lets see :)

The only time I click on milkdrop on the master output is when the screen goes black, otherwise, its activated by playing an audio only file.

So, when I click on milldrop in the video effects, it overides everything, then Ill load a video and then the black screen problem goes away and milkdrop acts normal again.

I really want it to be user error.

When you say "activate it in a slot", what are you referring to?

Posted Fri 28 Nov 14 @ 5:11 pm
@SBDJ I totally understand you need to see a problem to fix it. This issue is like a leaky roof. You have to do it a certain way, then it happens.

What do you mean by activating in a slot? I have it set to activate on audio only files. Then, Ill do a few music videos, back to audio a few times, then it will go black/milkdrop stops, THATS when I click on the master video effect of milkdrop. Then I'll unclick it once I load a video so the bar tvs dont go black.

Posted Fri 28 Nov 14 @ 5:17 pm
Okay, two things to look at..

when you installed milkdrop, did you see a prompt to update directX 9

try (when milkdrop drops out) open a milkdrop config panel and toggle the high quality option..

Posted Fri 28 Nov 14 @ 8:57 pm
Im starting to think it happens ONLY when you start it by clicking the main screen to activate video. If open my set with a video, it doesnt seem to happen. We'll see. I have another 4 hour video dj gig tomorrow. Im thinking a dj shouldnt be forced to open a set with video to avoid milkdrop problems. Not a huge deal, but... you know

Posted Sat 29 Nov 14 @ 3:55 pm
I totally agree with you, When you have milkdrop set to play with Audioonly it seems to overpower everything and you can't turn it off ? When I get a black screen you have to open the small wheel and turn the HD quality and its jumps back to life. However if you set Audioonly to None and have Milkdrop in the master effects you can turn it on & off when you need to, also between videos and audio ( Noticed this not being able to turn effects off thing a few times)

@SBDJ can you clarify or suggest how we can check which milkdrop files are not working correctly i.e. Causing Black Screen, Some make waveforms / deck wheels run glitchy / slow up. Has anybody else had this happen during a gig?

Would love to get to the bottom of it, Curious to find out other people's views, findings on this.

Thanks Techno

Posted Sat 29 Nov 14 @ 8:40 pm
^ Thank you for posting this. Yes, it also gets a quick waveform glitch when a *new preset loads* . But thats the least of worries. Its the black screen, like you said.

Posted Sun 30 Nov 14 @ 9:54 am
P.s. all updates for windows installed, e.g. direct x

Posted Sun 30 Nov 14 @ 9:56 am
eclipseentertainers wrote :
What do you mean by activating in a slot? I have it set to activate on audio only files

I mean that when set to activate on audio files, the plugin will move between master and deck automatically. So it will deactivate on the master and reactivate on the deck (seamlessly) This is something the plugin cannot control; VDJ8 does that by design.

eclipseentertainers wrote :
Im starting to think it happens ONLY when you start it by clicking the main screen to activate video.

I have video activate on load disabled, so this would be unrelated IMHO.

Techno_Tom_57 wrote :
I totally agree with you, When you have milkdrop set to play with Audioonly it seems to overpower everything and you can't turn it off ?

Correct, VDJ controls the activation state of a visualisation plugin.

Techno_Tom_57 wrote :
When I get a black screen you have to open the small wheel and turn the HD quality and its jumps back to life.

Sounds like a preset issue - does changing preset have the same effect?

Posted Sun 30 Nov 14 @ 10:07 am
No changing presets does nothing! (When you have a black screen) Until you re-activate the HD Quality.... You can then turn it back off and it runs okay for a while then you get the odd black screen again and have to repeat.

I get the whole Milkdrop in Audioonly part but the overpowering stops 'videos' from playing and you can't deactivate it. Hence the reason I have mine set to 'None' that way I can manually activate and de-activate when I need to not ideal but it's what works for me at the moment.

Still need to address what 'Presets' are causing me problems though but it's a long task with so many of them.

Let's not take away it is a superb plugin, just needs tweaking on some presets which seem to be causing issues I think

Techno

Posted Sun 30 Nov 14 @ 12:14 pm
@techno I had someone share a cleaned preset library with me, thats not it. I wish it was it, buts its not.

Posted Sun 30 Nov 14 @ 2:05 pm
I would be interested in a cleaned version of presets ? I am also running on the standard v8 browser skin as I have also had crashes with Fruits skin also.

I am running i5 2.43ghz 8gb ram / 1gb video card - had previous versions running no problem with milkdrop glitch free it's just since build 1932 I've started getting all these problems!

Off topic at little, I'm still not convinced that V8's video engine is as good as was in v7 i.e. Quality (sharpness) , smoothness..... Especially playing older videos, Also when running HD visuals it's jumpy and more cpu intensive. Defo a step back if you ask me.

Cheers

Techno

Posted Sun 30 Nov 14 @ 2:56 pm
51%