Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Milkdrop Issue - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I've been consistantly having an issue where when I go from video to audio to audio again, milk drop will turn off and the only way to get it to turn back on is to load another video. You can't even manually turn it on. Basically, even though its set to load milkdrop on audio only files, it turns off by itself. I've done about 10 shows like this and its a consistent issue.

It may be video to video to audio to audio to audio that causes it. I havent noticed the exact pattern jist yet, but its something like that.

Windows 8.1, 8gb ram, 1gb video card... note, Im connected to an external monitor via a vga cable.

Posted Mon 24 Nov 14 @ 2:59 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Unfortunately everything looks as though efforts are geared towards timecode and there is a number of guys voicing their opinion that automix should be on the agenda next, truth be told though, if you are depending on automix to do a show, maybe's djing is not a profession you should be in. The next focus that the dev team should be looking at with some urgency is the video sampler, it's workings are not upto standard and should be addresed a soon as possible, definitelty not what was written on the tin and a total let down.

Posted Mon 24 Nov 14 @ 3:46 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I have been unable to replicate this.

Does it do the same with other visualisations?

Posted Mon 24 Nov 14 @ 7:18 am
Work a lot with milkdrops and videos, too.

Perhaps a reason is, that some of your milkdrop-presets doesn't work correctly.
I deleted a lot some weeks ago, because they only made a black screen.
Go to the milkdrop-options in VDJ und step through all your presets.

Posted Mon 24 Nov 14 @ 11:30 am
Hmmmm... that could be. Perhaps some of the milkdrop files dont play. I'll load each one at a time and list a report of the failed milkdrop files if thats the case.

Posted Mon 24 Nov 14 @ 2:16 pm
@SBDJ, did you test with an external vga monitor? Theres certainly something up.

Posted Mon 24 Nov 14 @ 2:18 pm
I am not SB, but I tested the millkdrops with an external projector, vga-monitor and the internal vdj-screen.
Had over 2.000 presets and sorted out about 150 non working presets,
Last event with them was 2 days ago :-)

BTW - the names of the presets are sometimes hard to read. It took me about 3 or 4 hours to test all of them.

Posted Mon 24 Nov 14 @ 3:09 pm
The screen is going black just like yours... do you think the corrupt milkdrop files could cause the effect button to get stuck too? Screen stays black until I load a normal video, then milkdrop is right back.

Basically, when the screen goes black, I cant bring it back unless a video is loaded into thr other deck.

P.s. I wouldnt be mad at you if you put your cleaned milkdrop collection somewhere online to be downloaded. Lol

Posted Mon 24 Nov 14 @ 3:32 pm
eclipseentertainers wrote :
I've been consistantly having an issue where when I go from video to audio to audio again, milk drop will turn off and the only way to get it to turn back on is to load another video. You can't even manually turn it on. Basically, even though its set to load milkdrop on audio only files, it turns off by itself. I've done about 10 shows like this and its a consistent issue.

It may be video to video to audio to audio to audio that causes it. I havent noticed the exact pattern jist yet, but its something like that.

Windows 8.1, 8gb ram, 1gb video card... note, Im connected to an external monitor via a vga cable.

I have the same identical issue. Exactly as you describe it. My hardware is the same as yours.

Posted Mon 24 Nov 14 @ 4:56 pm
Sorry, I've tried and tried and tried to replicate this, I just cannot get milkdrop to turn itself off (ie it is no longer active in the effect selector for the master or any deck).

I've tested using an external display - I've been using this live at gigs for over a year now ;)

Posted Mon 24 Nov 14 @ 6:28 pm

Posted Mon 24 Nov 14 @ 8:37 pm
^ there it is. Turned off at 1:16

Posted Mon 24 Nov 14 @ 9:16 pm
@sonido thanks for making this video. Thats exactly it! From the side bar causing it maybe? Back and fourth from side bar to search area perhaps? ...hmmmm

Posted Mon 24 Nov 14 @ 9:22 pm
Just a question: why do you start milkdrop manually as video effect ?
Perhaps that's the reason...
You can set it in the video-options as default for audio only visualisation.
Then it will start automatically when you enable video and play an audio.

There is an option, that resets your effects when loading a new tracks. Perhaps, when you load an video, this option closes the milkdrop.

Posted Tue 25 Nov 14 @ 7:10 am
I dont manually start it. I have it set to load on audio only files. Randomly, it will just stop if I'm using videos and audio. In that case, I can sometimes manually start it (so all the tvs in the bar dont go black), but sometimes, it stays stuck in the black screen mode, where I *must* load a video for milkdrop to come back alive.

Posted Tue 25 Nov 14 @ 7:36 am
I just tried this and I am getting the same results. It seems to work great with just audio files, but when you slip in some videos, and go back to audio, that's where the blank screen comes in. I don't know why I have not seen this before, but I don't use it as much as I use slideshow as an audioonly visualization. I am also 98% video.

Posted Tue 25 Nov 14 @ 4:32 pm
I've just followed that exact procedure, and again I cannot replicate.

One thing I will point out that you miss in that video - when you have 2 audio tracks loaded, the visualisation is active on the master and thus visible in the center effect slot.

When you load a video, the visualisation is on the audio deck, NOT on the master, so is not active in the center effect slot. This is how VDJ8 handles visualisations and is normal behaviour. Once the effect deactivates in the center slot you should see it active in the effect selector for the audio deck instead. If so, open the GUI from there and jump to the next preset. If it's not active then something has caused the effect to deactivate - either it crashed (which I would expect to have bigger repercussions) or VDJ stopped it. There is no code in the plugin for it to stop itself.

Like I say I've been using this plugin live at gigs - going between audio and video a lot - and I've never run into this issue. I followed your steps exactly with the same number of tracks and was unable to replicate. If I cannot replicate then it will be impossible to fix and I can only recommend you use an alternative visualisation.

Posted Tue 25 Nov 14 @ 7:06 pm
BTW - which Build do you use ?
You can see it in the upper line of the Config-window.

I use it at gigs, too. Never had a problem with my "working" milkdrops.
And I have often changes between videos and audios, because I don't have all tracks as video.
My last gig was Saturday and it ran 8 hours without any problem. So I cannot replicate, too.

If you have this problem, try what SB said: go to the GUI of the player-milkdrop, change the preset manually and then see, what will happen...

I don't know, if I can upload my working presets, because of the rights, but I can post a list of them (about 2.000).

Posted Wed 26 Nov 14 @ 3:20 am
I use the latest build which I think is 2059

Yeah, I wasnt sure if the milkdrop presets were open source or not regarding sharing them.

Could it really be encountering a bad milkdrop file?

Did you see the video example another user put in this thread?

Its happenning to him too. Exact same issue.

Posted Wed 26 Nov 14 @ 6:20 am
By the way, I'm working with a cleaned milkdrop preset collection now. I'm doing a 6 hours video/audio gig tonight, so I'll report back here if it happens again or not.

Perhaps this will close this chapter.

Posted Wed 26 Nov 14 @ 6:33 am
25%