Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Timecode users......... [SOLVED] - Page: 44

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Is 1960.804 already the version that was announced for BPM?

Posted Sun 14 Sep 14 @ 1:06 pm
We are indeed using 1960 at BPM.

Posted Sun 14 Sep 14 @ 1:11 pm
I see this is set to "solved" - I cannot confirm that.
The sound and feel are nice, but ... am I the only one who wants to use smart mode as he is used to from v7.4?
Last time I tried the track still skipped when turning timecode back on after cleaning a needle.

Posted Sun 14 Sep 14 @ 1:23 pm
inDOKnito wrote :
The sound and feel are nice, but ... am I the only one who wants to use smart mode as he is used to from v7.4?
Last time I tried the track still skipped when turning timecode back on after cleaning a needle.

Smart mode still needs work but absolute does the exact same thing as smart

Posted Sun 14 Sep 14 @ 4:37 pm
Hey guys,

Saw this on a blog today

Well done Virtual Dj

Posted Sun 14 Sep 14 @ 5:36 pm
Dj Sky-Trendsetters wrote :
inDOKnito wrote :

What is still bothering you exactly with the smart mode?

Posted Sun 14 Sep 14 @ 10:35 pm
xgl_djPRO InfinityMember since 2004
inDOKnito wrote :

They don't behave the same.. similar, but not the same. Absolute mode is buggy..

Smart mode is more fluid, just with weird behaviors..

Posted Sun 14 Sep 14 @ 10:59 pm
sclavel wrote :
inDOKnito wrote :

In absolute mode - you guys need to be more definite about how it works..

If I have a song with no cue points set - I can drop the needle at the 5 min mark and the track does not play because the song is 3mins long - correct behavior.

But if I have a cue point set and I drop track at the 5 minute mark - vdj will give a stutter sound - as if it wants to plays the cue point

Also near to the end of the vinyl - I can also play the track

I really don't use absolute and smart mode - but I think if you guys are going to fix timecode - should be fixed all the way around.

BTW - Thank you for the great job on fixing Relative mode.

Posted Sun 14 Sep 14 @ 11:10 pm
xgl_dj wrote :
They don't behave the same.. similar, but not the same. Absolute mode is buggy..

If you want something changed in smart/absolute mode, you'll need to be more precise.
Most of the betatesters said that smart and absolute was working perfectly now, so...

just to be sure, let me explain how it's supposed to work in virtualdj (and yes, that is not the *exact* same as the competitors, but we dont copy the others, we always try to make something better).

1) Relative mode:
in relative mode, virtualdj will always keep the stickers with no drift.
moving the needle to a different part of the vinyl will not move the song, except eventually a little jump to keep the stickers at the same angle.
(of course if you use loop or cue or pitch in the software, then the stickers will have moved)

2) absolute mode:
moving the needle will always bring the song to the exact same position as the vinyl.
note that if you use software buttons such as cue, loops, etc (which with other competitors either have no effect, or switch to relative mode), virtualdj will let you use it and will perform the loop or cue. but as soon as you needle-drop somewhere, it will go back to the absolute position.

3) smart mode:
in smart mode, small needle drops (less than 1 minute) are relative, so it keeps the cues/loops.
bigger needle drops map the full length of the vinyl to the full length of the song.

Posted Mon 15 Sep 14 @ 9:09 am
sclavel wrote :
xgl_dj wrote :

3) smart mode:
in smart mode, small needle drops (less than 1 minute) are relative, so it keeps the cues/loops.
bigger needle drops map the full length of the vinyl to the full length of the song.

In smart mode is it possible to disengage timecode bring the needle back to beginning of record engage timecode and it remains in place . If im not making sense please excuse me.

Edit: hold up locodog can we add that to a mapping..?

Posted Mon 15 Sep 14 @ 9:17 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I think so, I can't test

timecode_active 1

will toggle timecode (table 1) input on or off, the script might be that simple, or it might need a '& deck X play' on the end

Posted Mon 15 Sep 14 @ 10:03 am
Djratedxxx919 wrote :

In smart mode is it possible to disengage timecode bring the needle back to beginning of record engage timecode and it remains in place . If im not making sense please excuse me.

Edit: hold up locodog can we add that to a mapping..?

That's exactly my point - I loved the smart mode's former behavior (v7) just as it was. Now I have no chance to use the vinyl after turnig off TC without skipping.

Posted Mon 15 Sep 14 @ 10:29 am
sclavel wrote :
inDOKnito wrote :

I think the problem is we are still thinking like V7 and forgetting that this is a new software, the current set up I can get used to

Posted Mon 15 Sep 14 @ 11:16 am
locodog wrote :
I think so, I can't test

timecode_active 1

will toggle timecode (table 1) input on or off, the script might be that simple, or it might need a '& deck X play' on the end

will with my m70 its "deck 1 timecode_active & deck 2 timecode_active" but to add to toggle between relative and smart mode to be able to bring the needle back and continue in place...

Posted Mon 15 Sep 14 @ 1:04 pm
I'm not sure you'd have to switch modes, honestly I'm out of my depth on this.

The scripts to switch mode are, (pick 1)
timecode_mode 'smart' 'absolute' 'relative'

Posted Mon 15 Sep 14 @ 2:00 pm
sclavel wrote :
xgl_dj wrote :

If you want something changed in smart/absolute mode, you'll need to be more precise.
Most of the betatesters said that smart and absolute was working perfectly now, so...

just to be sure, let me explain how it's supposed to work in virtualdj (and yes, that is not the *exact* same as the competitors, but we dont copy the others, we always try to make something better).

I'll make a video this week.

Lol @ beta testers - you are pulling my leg right..

The beta testers were not very good at spotting issues with time code...They reported time code was "almost perfect"..... Nuff said...

Posted Mon 15 Sep 14 @ 6:49 pm
Almost perfect, lol all it needed was completely tearing down, rewriting then 2 more weeks and 5 more builds.

Well done Atomix on getting it sorted in time for bpm, but goddamn you were cutting it fine.

Posted Mon 15 Sep 14 @ 7:29 pm
locodog wrote :
I'm not sure you'd have to switch modes, honestly I'm out of my depth on this.

The scripts to switch mode are, (pick 1)
timecode_mode 'smart' 'absolute' 'relative'

it would have to switch to relative mode or it will jump back to beginning of song, trying to erase that part, guess its just something that will be lived with.

Posted Mon 15 Sep 14 @ 7:50 pm
Nevermind......

Posted Mon 15 Sep 14 @ 8:17 pm
ok we'll implement a "timecode_disengage while_pressed" action in the next build, so you can needledrop in smart mode without jumping.

But, why do you say it was doing this in v7? as far as I know, in v7 if you moved the needle, it also jumped the song no?

PS: if you're talking about reaching the end of the vinyl, then both v7 and v8, both in smart and absolute mode, have an automatic disengage that happens when you reach the last few grooves of the record. Is that what you're talking about?

Posted Mon 15 Sep 14 @ 9:37 pm
91%