Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Timecode users......... [SOLVED] - Page: 37

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

apopsis wrote :
Are you sure your anti-skip option is off ?
Are you also using relative ?
If so try in absolute mode. For serious scratches, absolute is the mode you should choose, It is still flexible enough to allow hot cues, etc.
Make sure that you don't change the software pitch slider (must be 0% on software)

ok i did what u say and absolute mode not good for sticker drift at all

Posted Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 7:11 am
W'ssup guys,

I have Pro Licence. Updates are set to "Yes." I have been getting updates until b1932. You guys are talking about b1944 and 1946. I still have 1932, even after rebooting my MAC (Pro i7 OSX Lion), VDJ 8, or after just completely shutting the MAC down. Why is this?

-- DJ Creativity

Posted Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 7:20 am
bossplaya wrote :
W'ssup guys,

I have Pro Licence. Updates are set to "Yes." I have been getting updates until b1932. You guys are talking about b1944 and 1946. I still have 1932, even after rebooting my MAC (Pro i7 OSX Lion), VDJ 8, or after just completely shutting the MAC down. Why is this?

-- DJ Creativity

Go to options, look for GetBetaBuilds & set it to yes

Posted Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 7:51 am
dasouth2004 wrote :
bossplaya wrote :
W'ssup guys,

-- DJ Creativity

Go to options, look for GetBetaBuilds & set it to yes

Thanks man. I'll do that.

Posted Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 8:18 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
apopsis wrote :
If so try in absolute mode. For serious scratches, absolute is the mode you should choose, It is still flexible enough to allow hot cues, etc.
Make sure that you don't change the software pitch slider (must be 0% on software)

Explain what you mean when you say 0% does that mean you cant use pitch when in absolute mode

You can always use the pitch slider in the Timecode player and this is the recommended way if you are using timecodes.
If you change the pitch in the software while the timecode is playing you make the actual song shorter or longer in time, while the timecode does not shrink or expand the same way of course. Remember that timecode and internal playback are two totally different worlds.

To be accurate, VirtualDJ is now smart enough and actually it will allow to set non zero pitch in the software but you should not do it on the fly during playback. The next time the needle skips physically VirtualDJ will calculate the new offset (because of the pitch change) and this will look like a drift, while it is just 'maths' for the software.

For the same reason you should not change the software pitch slider if you loop from a Timecode cd, this will change the loop duration too.
Again you can change the timecode pitch.

Now If you ask me why we allow to use the software pitch. It has some great advantages, for example you can use sync while using timecodes. This is a big plus for non scratch dj's who don't care much about things like sticker position or drifting.

Posted Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 8:36 am
Dj Sky-Trendsetters wrote :

songs should load and play if replaced while another is still playing (dragging songs to deck causes music to stop if timecode is still in use. Should carry on playing from whichever point the time code is)

Just in case you did not know, this was resolved in the last build.

Posted Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 8:54 am

Explain what you mean when you say 0% does that mean you cant use pitch when in absolute mode
[/quote]

You can always use the pitch slider in the Timecode player and this is the recommended way if you are using timecodes.
If you change the pitch in the software while the timecode is playing you make the actual song shorter or longer in time, while the timecode does not shrink or expand the same way of course. Remember that timecode and internal playback are two totally different worlds.

To be accurate, VirtualDJ is now smart enough and actually it will allow to set non zero pitch in the software but you should not do it on the fly during playback. The next time the needle skips physically VirtualDJ will calculate the new offset (because of the pitch change) and this will look like a drift, while it is just 'maths' for the software.

For the same reason you should not change the software pitch slider if you loop from a Timecode cd, this will change the loop duration too.

Now If you ask me why we allow to use the software pitch. It has some great advantages, for example you can use sync while using timecodes. This is a big plus for non scratch dj's who don't care much about things like sticker position or drifting.[/quote]

OK but when u move the pitch slider on the turntables the pitch slider on the software move right so that normal.and I did that so when I do a fast back spin it go off the marker completely .I try this on Serato DJ same back spin and harder spin that the needle came off the record and I put it back it was still on the marke so no sticker drift on Serato DJ so why when I do it with virtual DJ 8 it get off the marker so sticker drift not good yet for vdj and I did the setting u told me to do .

Posted Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 9:11 am
xgl_djPRO InfinityMember since 2004
bossplaya wrote :
W'ssup guys,

-- DJ Creativity

I never get quick updates on my mac - I always have to log out in vdj and log back in to get the updates.

Posted Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 10:30 am
angelt99 wrote :

He means when in absolute mode do not touch the pitch slider on the software only control pitch from the turntables... I really do see an improvement with drifting.... so far with CDs in absolute mode every CUE takes me back to the exact spot and also backspin takes me back to markers I have set

Posted Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 10:48 am
apopsis wrote :
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
apopsis wrote :

Now If you ask me why we allow to use the software pitch. It has some great advantages, for example you can use sync while using timecodes. This is a big plus for non scratch dj's who don't care much about things like sticker position or drifting.

I personally don't use sync when using TT nor do I adjust the pitch in the software - I use the TT pitch.

I think the dev team should just focus on the user base here requesting stuff be fixed not "scratch dj's who don't care much about things like sticker position or drifting". I think most of those guys who don't care about drift etc - use controllers or just a straight laptop anyway.

So respectfully - please could we focus on the skillset that is here please.

The methods you are proposing and are currently enable in absolute mode does not work well - I prefer Relative mode - since it less likely to skip and I can use my whole vinyl.

SUGGESTION : Have a pure ABSOLUTE mode - Like your competitor - In this mode there is no CUE points - LOOPS etc. In This mode you can set you cue points etc but you can't trigger them.

You guys have a Smart Mode - Which is basically should be a cross between absolute mode and relative mode. You really don't need absolute mode to be "smart" and act like a smart mode. The problems is some of the stuff you implement in absolute mode "math" wise with offsets may seem cool - but on my end it is not - my reaction is more like "what the bleep" - because the software is not acting as how an absolute mode should or how I am accustomed to real vinyl to work.

SUMMARY/SUGGESTIONs : Devs - Make it easy on yourself
1) Have a pure relative mode. Relative mode as is as almost good just need the drift to be fixed
2) Have a pure absolute mode.
3) Smart mode - let it be the only hybrid mode - Put all the fancy offset in this mode.
4) Focus on the timecode users reporting here - not the other users who may exist somewhere..

Posted Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 11:14 am
I did a gig last night and didn't get any drift.... maybe work needs doing on the vinyl side of things but all my tests show no sticker drifting

XGL is right though you guys shouldn't redefine the modes. Absolute should function like absolute, relative should function like relative and smart should be a combination of the both. Unless you guys want to be different from your competitors, if that's the case I understand but some may not like it

Posted Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 11:51 am
xgl_dj wrote :
apopsis wrote :
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
apopsis wrote :

I personally don't use sync when using TT nor do I adjust the pitch in the software - I use the TT pitch.

I think the dev team should just focus on the user base here requesting stuff be fixed not "scratch dj's who don't care much about things like sticker position or drifting". I think most of those guys who don't care about drift etc - use controllers or just a straight laptop anyway.

The methods you are proposing and are currently enable in absolute mode does not work well - I prefer Relative mode - since it less likely to skip and I can use my whole vinyl.

SUGGESTION : Have a pure ABSOLUTE mode - Like your competitor - In this mode there is no CUE points - LOOPS etc. In This mode you can set you cue points etc but you can't trigger them.

You guys have a Smart Mode - Which is basically should be a cross between absolute mode and relative mode. You really don't need absolute mode to be "smart" and act like a smart mode. The problems is some of the stuff you implement in absolute mode "math" wise with offsets may seem cool - but on my end it is not - my reaction is more like "what the bleep" - because the software is not acting as how an absolute mode should or how I am accustomed to real vinyl to work.

1) Have a pure relative mode. Relative mode as is as almost good just need the drift to be fixed
3) Smart mode - let it be the only hybrid mode - Put all the fancy offset in this mode.
4) Focus on the timecode users reporting here - not the other users who may exist somewhere..

I agree 100% with u i couldn't say it better my self.this is the smartest replay .

Posted Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 12:29 pm
xgl_dj wrote :
apopsis wrote :
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
apopsis wrote :

Maybe that's not the direction the team is headed, maybe they don't want to be like their competitors. I'm sure they considered these already... i'm cool with whatever as long as it works properly. What you are suggesting is for them to undo all they have done in past few days, because essentially that's how it worked initially

Posted Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 12:41 pm
xgl_dj wrote :
bossplaya wrote :
W'ssup guys,

-- DJ Creativity

I never get quick updates on my mac - I always have to log out in vdj and log back in to get the updates.

Thanks man...

Dasouth2004 told me to Go to options, look for GetBetaBuilds & set it to yes. I am receiving the beta build updates now.

Posted Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 3:33 pm
Would be nice if we could get this time code right so I can play at the BPM show in the UK on Saturday and rep VDJ

Posted Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 3:43 pm
I've read this thread and have the updates downloaded so I'll be messing around tonight. Things are looking and sounding great from your comments 👍

But I do have to agree that "Absolute" should be just like using real vinyl, no loops, no cues, nothing but you and the timecode.

Smart should be what Absolute is now and Relative should do everything except needle drop.

Not sure why they're changing it up either but it's they're software so they can do what they want as long as it works in the end.

Posted Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 3:51 pm
@ beatbreaker1 : I agree, absolute doesn't need loops etc but we do need 1 cue so we can mark our records.
@ bossplaya : Your welcome, share the knowledge, it's what it's all about.

To everyone else, pls don't use quote's so much, last page looks like a mess ;)

Posted Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 4:05 pm
Ok well things feel much better with my Denon decks but what happened to the pitch?? The numbers on the screen when changing the pitch don't react as fast as they used to be. Now instead of going from 71 to 73.2 it goes 71.01, 71.02, 71.03, etc, etc till it reaches 73.2. This is a step backwards and this is exactly how the pitch in 6 and 7 worked. Now I have to wait for the numbers to catch up to where Im at where as before it would skip all those numbers and just jump up.

Why was this changed?? Please make the numbers work like Serato, Traktor, Mixxx and the others. I don't understand it. If needed I can make a video so others can understand what I mean.

Posted Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 6:52 pm
xgl_dj wrote :

Then it is fine, i don't see any problem here. If you don't use the software sync / loops and cues it is pure absolute mode.
The position of the song will always follow the timecode position, when the timecode vinyl skips the song will skip too and so on.
Even if you decide to use a hot cue at any point you can put the needle at the start of the record and get absolute time again, or if you do a needle drop or make the needle to skip by a fast scratch or back spin again it will take accurate / absolute position.
Traktor has a similar way to handle modes : if you use a hot cue or loop it switches to relative mode automatically.
I don't see anything wrong with this when nobody forces you to use the internal software functions.

You started a debate with 2 pages of quotes that really doesn't help at this point and only can shift the focus away from the remaining issues we want to look at.

Your reported issue was "drifting" when in relative mode, so let's focus on it.
The good news is, i was able to reproduce this and i will send all the needed info to the dev team.
Thank you for your input.

-----

To everyone want to report a issue, please include only a short description and all the useful information that we need to replicate it.
Everything else will not help.

Posted Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 7:08 pm
Dj Sky-Trendsetters wrote :

Maybe that's not the direction the team is headed, maybe they don't want to be like their competitors. I'm sure they considered these already... i'm cool with whatever as long as it works properly. What you are suggesting is for them to undo all they have done in past few days, because essentially that's how it worked initially

Read the previous page - I was asked about drift in the other modes and I gave my opinion. I found none of the 3 modes work 100%. I said the word "suggestion" - in my posts a few times - cannot dictate to the devs what to do. I can only offer my point of view.
We finally have an ear in the forum - so I rather state my perspectives than just be "cool with whatever". I want the software to work as much as you and the devs..

But some things should be standard across the board.
Example - you press a cue point in most DVS - you go to the cue point.
You press stop - you stop..
You're in absolute mode - it should work like real vinyl.

Posted Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 7:19 pm
77%