Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Timecode users......... [SOLVED] - Page: 26

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

A Man and His Music wrote :
Just throwing out a question. Could it be your tone arm, cartridge, or turntable settings?

Serato and Traktor works perfectly with the hardware I currently have. It's ultimately a software issue but a few people have found workarounds... at this level workarounds are unacceptable. SO DEVS NEED TO SHOW US SOME LOVE NOW!

Posted Sat 02 Aug 14 @ 2:11 pm
xgl_djPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Yes - that this the thing - I don't know about tractor - but with serato - have used different needles and had the counter weight super heavy, light & just at the manufactures recommended settings - and the software is always on point with various TT configurations. I never had to jump to hops to get it to work right.

Posted Sat 02 Aug 14 @ 2:36 pm
xgl_dj wrote :
Yes - that this the thing - I don't know about tractor - but with serato - have used different needles and had the counter weight super heavy, light & just at the manufactures recommended settings - and the software is always on point with various TT configurations. I never had to jump to hops to get it to work right.

True Statement^^. 8 versions, 2 years of hype...to just seem to be v7.6 instead of v8.0

Posted Sat 02 Aug 14 @ 4:56 pm
FOR DEVS AND ALL TIME CODE USERS

I have narrowed down the problems of the time code.... all or most my problems are now solved, no sticker drift or skipping... this is what I did...

This method solved my problems using CDJ but should work for vinyl users as the problems were the same when using CDJ in vinyl mode

VDJ has 2 time code CDs, 1. Consumer grade and the other is Pro Grade. When using the Pro Grade I experienced skips and jumps, lead in problems but when using the consumer grade the software worked great.

The consumer grade is equivalent to the older time code vinyl which seems to be the only time code that works without bugs, if I used Serato time code I experienced random pitch ranges just like using the pro grade.

My advice to all is use the OLD VDJ VINYL if using turntables or use the CONSUMER GRADE if using CDJs.... the software doesn't function properly when using anything else.

DO NOT USE SERATO, NUMARK VINYL!!
Conclusion: the software has a bug in tracking time code signal especially the ones listed above

Posted Sat 02 Aug 14 @ 9:03 pm

Posted Sat 02 Aug 14 @ 9:53 pm
xgl_dj wrote :
I only have serato vinyl plus vdj itself recommends using serato vinyl or vdj vinyl -see here: http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/TimeCode%20Config.html

this might be true...but old vjd time code works best...vdj is not decoding noise map properly....I'm glad Sera to vinyl doesn't work..rather use vdj timecode..and rep the use of vdj..forget anything serato

Posted Sat 02 Aug 14 @ 11:00 pm
Arrrrhhhhhh!!!!

You fellas let me down with your testing.. I tested for myself.

DEV TEAM- Please disregard any reports of of timecode drifting been resolved for serato vinyl.

ScratchFitherQuality set to 22 - does not fix the issue
ScratchFitherQuality set to 100 - does not fix the issue

The above setting masks the problem a bit - but if you really test properly - the issues are still there.

Posted Sun 03 Aug 14 @ 12:17 am
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
Im uploading a video now doing the same thing as you are but im not getting these problems anymore...how did you set lead to 500,000...is it like 0.5000000 or 5.000000
oh yea my lead-in is 10.000000

You to need to expand your testing - your current testing does not mean that the sticker drift is gone - it could be - but I am not convinced.

I can do the the exact same thing with serato vinyl now - and it works the same way like you have in the video - good right - yes - but it is deceiving. Does that mean I don't have sticker drift - nope.

When you get a chance - speed up your scratches a bit and just pull the record back and forth quicker - get crazy with it a bit without letting the needle jump.

Let me know if it is still the same.

Posted Sun 03 Aug 14 @ 12:29 am
The good news is, I was able to replicate the jumping issue in vdj - when I was using serato dj. The jumping issue in serato dj was caused when I didn't calibrate - aka - my noise sensitivity was too low. All I had to do was to increase my noise sensitivity slider up from -24 to a higher number and the issue immediately disappeared.

So instead of these automatic settings in vdj 8 - we need the adjustable controls that were taken out - returned to vdj 8

Lastly - you timecode guys should do more rigorous testing... Stop following the next persons opinion.

Too much back and forth going on in the thread..

Test and test hard.. then test some more..

Posted Sun 03 Aug 14 @ 12:59 am
xgl_dj wrote :
The good news is, I was able to replicate the jumping issue in vdj - when I was using serato dj. The jumping issue in serato dj was caused when I didn't calibrate - aka - my noise sensitivity was too low. All I had to do was to increase my noise sensitivity slider up from -24 to a higher number and the issue immediately disappeared.

So instead of these automatic settings in vdj 8 - we need the adjustable controls that were taken out - returned to vdj 8

Lastly - you timecode guys should do more rigorous testing... Stop following the next persons opinion.

Too much back and forth going on in the thread..

Test and test hard.. then test some more..

Yesterday I tested three different time codes quite rigorously and it is confirmed that the old VDJ vinyl eliminates 90% of the issues discussed in this thread. The old VDJ vinyl is +10db louder than the Serato vinyl and +14db louder than the Numark. As a result of this it cancels out the noise that is usually received with the input on a phono or line. I studied the speed/pitch and it remained constant with no fluctuations unlike using Serato vinyl. The bottom line is either the developers reccomend VDJ vinyl (consumer grade), include settings to adjust noise and silence on phone inputs like in version 7 or fix the software so it tracks non VDJ time code better.

Personally I believe the software should exclusively recognise VDJ vinyl instead of trying to be everybody's friend

Posted Sun 03 Aug 14 @ 3:51 am
xgl_dj wrote :
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
Im uploading a video now doing the same thing as you are but im not getting these problems anymore...how did you set lead to 500,000...is it like 0.5000000 or 5.000000
oh yea my lead-in is 10.000000

You to need to expand your testing - your current testing does not mean that the sticker drift is gone - it could be - but I am not convinced.

I can do the the exact same thing with serato vinyl now - and it works the same way like you have in the video - good right - yes - but it is deceiving. Does that mean I don't have sticker drift - nope.

When you get a chance - speed up your scratches a bit and just pull the record back and forth quicker - get crazy with it a bit without letting the needle jump.

Let me know if it is still the same.

you do that I'm satisfied...it works for me best wit vdj time code...do you have vdj time code?

Posted Sun 03 Aug 14 @ 5:36 am
This video should explain why the old VDJ Vinyl works better on version 8

Posted Sun 03 Aug 14 @ 7:40 am
Same thing here when using my Denon decks. The Serato time codes don't track anywhere near as good as the VDJ ones do.

Posted Sun 03 Aug 14 @ 9:53 am
Dj Sky-Trendsetters wrote :
This video should explain why the old VDJ Vinyl works better on version 8

Is this proof enough for everybody, Including the DEVteam. Can we suggest, if i can suggest for everyone, Can the focus be on just VDJ timecode? Are they still available? And if not is ok to have VDJ timecode pressed to vinyl, cause now im seeing red VDJ vinyl with VirtualDj letters in the vinyl oooooooohhhh..... can i can i, please...lol

Posted Sun 03 Aug 14 @ 1:14 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
XXX you'll need a blue VDJ vinyl for the left deck :-), that's just the way it works.

Posted Sun 03 Aug 14 @ 3:16 pm
Djratedxxx919 wrote :

you do that I'm satisfied...it works for me best wit vdj time code...do you have vdj time code?

For the jumping it is very evident that is improved or eliminated with vdj vinyl - because for the jumping issue you can see it right away on the screen. But as a test for time code drift - you did some baby scratches and a few backspins - to me that is inclusive. At the end of the day - if it is not fixed - it will pop up again as soon as the vinyl gets a little wear. But hey if you are satisfied with your testing -so be it.

No - I don't have any virtual dj vinyl - as far a a know they are not in stock in any local or online dj stores.

Yesterday I tested three different time codes quite rigorously and it is confirmed that the old VDJ vinyl eliminates 90% of the issues discussed in this thread. The old VDJ vinyl is +10db louder than the Serato vinyl and +14db louder than the Numark. As a result of this it cancels out the noise that is usually received with the input on a phono or line. I studied the speed/pitch and it remained constant with no fluctuations unlike using Serato vinyl. The bottom line is either the developers reccomend VDJ vinyl (consumer grade), include settings to adjust noise and silence on phone inputs like in version 7 or fix the software so it tracks non VDJ time code better.

Personally I believe the software should exclusively recognise VDJ vinyl instead of trying to be everybody's friend

Ok cool.

But vdj vinyl is dead - no one buys that product anymore- and they are surely not going to start pressing new vinyl when there are so little timecode users on the board.
Plus even if vdj vinyl was available today - I wouldn't buy any - they haven't been showing timecode users any love - so I'd return the favor.

Posted Sun 03 Aug 14 @ 8:24 pm
Never know, Happy existing time-code users could me future time-code users. Im hoping they stop thinking edm and event djs are the only ones that like vdj. Im hoping the dev team starts thinking like performance djs. Because if your software can handle the performance dj it will handle everybody else with ease.

Posted Sun 03 Aug 14 @ 11:49 pm
Did a small jam yesterday with vdj timecode cd's on cdj800 MKII's, tried both versions of timecode cd's..
IT SUCKED bigtime, drifts, skips.. tracks loading with silence in the middle (only loading the beginning & end of tracks)
& for no reason at some moments a weird sound (like the timecode sound itself going to the mixer.
Can't do much testing on it as I don't own any cdj's but I can say for sure I missed my 1200's & old vdj timecode vinyls

Posted Tue 05 Aug 14 @ 10:04 am
dasouth2004 wrote :
Did a small jam yesterday with vdj timecode cd's on cdj800 MKII's, tried both versions of timecode cd's..
IT SUCKED bigtime, drifts, skips.. tracks loading with silence in the middle (only loading the beginning & end of tracks)
& for no reason at some moments a weird sound (like the timecode sound itself going to the mixer.
Can't do much testing on it as I don't own any cdj's but I can say for sure I missed my 1200's & old vdj timecode vinyls

Gotta elaborate more on your settings and audio card used

Posted Tue 05 Aug 14 @ 11:03 am
dasouth2004 wrote :

Gotta elaborate more on your settings and audio card used

YEah cause some of the things you speak have nothing to do with timecode.

Posted Tue 05 Aug 14 @ 11:26 am
54%