Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Login Access without LIve internet - Page: 10

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

theiosPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Things are simple. If you think this through, this is a better solution for all of us. Even for the friend with the back-up laptop.
Lets say that you have 2 laptops with vdj. The primary dies and you switch to the backup. But, if the primary is dead, then probably you'll buy a new one. And you gonna want to put vdj on it, right? Well, you install it, log-in and that's all. But if you had a licence dedicated to those 2 machines (the backup and the dead primary) i'm sure it wouldn't be that easy to get pro on the new one. (i don't know how you deal with this case in vdj 7, i guess it's not as simple as a single log-in).

Actually, this method can be very useful if you see it as a client to the "cloud version of me" dj. For example, you can go play to any bar/club that has a computer with vdj. You just take your hard drive, plug it in, log-in in your cloud profile and... ta-daaaa all your settings, customizations etc you use on your primary equipement appear automatically. Then you log-out, take the money and your drive and go home.
But this is just an idea for the future maybe....

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 10:07 am
OR, Im at a wedding at Mt. Everest, no internet, snows and im outside. Im paid 1 million dollars to DJ this gig successfully. MY main dies, I login to my 2nd laptop to play with really small cache of songs. My main comes back up with all my song, I login to that but guess what? I cant because it's not connected. My limited version on my main computer is now worthless, so I lose the gig, dont get paid, and they toss me off Mt. Everest... see my point?

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 11:00 am
burnyabad wrote :
I login to my 2nd laptop

My main comes back up with all my song, I login to that but guess what? I cant

How would you log in to your 2nd laptop when you're up a mountain? :-)

As already explained numerous time, once you've logged into VDJ 8 and it knows your details, you won't need to do that again.

If you've registered (by logging in once) both laptops before going up the mountain, you can use either one without issue - unless you log them out.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 11:17 am
Jason KPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Only reason this new login could be a problem, is if you are trying to lend the software to multiple people. Who won't keep their internet off. Then it would only be a problem for them. If the club has a system that multiple djs use, then the club should log in and leave it logged in.

My question is:

I have two serials for Numark Cue. I initially setup this account when I worked for my father's dj biz. I was the only dj to use a laptop. I quit his company and bought my own software and registered it on the account I set up, hence the two serials for Cue.
I got tired of waiting for Numark to upgrade, so I upgraded my cue software to VDJ. So now I have three serials. I no longer use cue, but he still does. I've told him he should spend the money and upgrade his cue software to VDJ, but I'd like for him to have his own account. Is there anyway that he can upgrade and get his own account? He paid for the original software that I used when I worked for him, and I paid for mine when I went out on my own. I'm worried about the login process when there is two serials on the same account. I don't want my login to affect his, or his to affect mine. He has always had the account login, but hasn't had a need to use it. My father is in his 60's and isn't very tech savvy. I'd like him to be able to use the upgrade, without any headaches.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 11:43 am
ewitlesPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Ok, I am happy w/ this. However..... I do see something that no one else thought of. What if (big if here), atomix has isp issues? Or something online goes stupid?

Google had outages whereas they could not be acessed. Yahoo was down - and 'gasp', even Facebook. One simple DOS attack and it's game over for a spell.

So, are there safe guards in place for those who need to autenticate online?

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 12:36 pm
burnyabad, you have to understand one thing:
You have to be online to log-in, BUT you also have to be online to log-out!
So, you will lose the gig at Everest ONLY in this situation:
You logged in with the backup. Then you logged in with the primary. Then you open vdj on the backup while connected to internet, got logged-out but didn't log-in again. Then you take the primary and the logged-out backup to Everest. The primary dies and the backup is logged out.

When you log-in with Laptop A, that tells the vdj server "when you see Laptop B online again, log it out". Trust me, it will not see Laptop B online at Everest in order to log it out.

So, before your gig(s) log-in A and close it. Log-in B and close it too. Now you have 2 fully functional laptops. If you don't have internet at the gig, both of them will stay fully functional. If you do have internet access... well then you know what to do. If you give internet access to one of them before the gig, open the program just to log-out and then close it, then you had it coming.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 1:25 pm
Jason KPRO InfinityMember since 2007
ewitles wrote :
Ok, I am happy w/ this. However..... I do see something that no one else thought of. What if (big if here), atomix has isp issues? Or something online goes stupid?

Google had outages whereas they could not be acessed. Yahoo was down - and 'gasp', even Facebook. One simple DOS attack and it's game over for a spell.

So, are there safe guards in place for those who need to autenticate online?

Good point. I wouldn't say that's a big if so much as a win. Maybe it only prompts if it can connect to vdj. If not that would solve the problem, unless the isp went down midway.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 1:35 pm
It's one simple rule:
If you closed it while logged-in, it will be logged-in tne next time you open it. Unless it can communicate with atomix and get logged-out. But in that case, if it can communicate with atomix to log-out it can also do it to re-log in.
So, as long as you close the laptop while logged-in, you will never have a problem. You will be logged-in in any case.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 1:41 pm
Sheesh!!! 10 pages of reading, my brain is fried!!!

Think I understand, glad I'm solo and just use one laptop, although, it's a bootcamped Mac with both versions of VDJ on it. Hmmmm......... :-)

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 4:37 pm
I have 7.4 and 8 on my main rig. If I'm online and use 8, (and it's logged on), everything is fine. If I close out (not log out) and fire up 7, it says I need to re-authenticate.

So keeping this in mind, 7 might not always work as well. What, if any functionality, would we lose by not having 7 authenticate? I don't use online content.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 10:59 pm
J-SnipPRO InfinityMember since 2006
ewitles wrote :
I have 7.4 and 8 on my main rig. If I'm online and use 8, (and it's logged on), everything is fine. If I close out (not log out) and fire up 7, it says I need to re-authenticate.

So keeping this in mind, 7 might not always work as well. What, if any functionality, would we lose by not having 7 authenticate? I don't use online content.

Uh oh. I think I have 7.1 (I think..maybe I did up it to 7.4) on my old laptop where I installed 8 to Monday. I'll see if I can verify what you're saying tomorrow (using 7.1).

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 11:03 pm
gkon116PRO InfinityMember since 2006
JayMSY wrote :
ewitles wrote :

Uh oh. I think I have 7.1 (I think..maybe I did up it to 7.4) on my old laptop where I installed 8 to Monday. I'll see if I can verify what you're saying tomorrow (using 7.1).

Someone answered the question before (can't remember by whom); version 7.x & 8 are considered separate machines, although they are on the same machine. So basically, you just have to make sure at your gig you don't hook up to the Internet, that way both versions work. If you really want to be on the safe side, login to 7.x before your gig.

IMHO, Theios above said it correctly, you have to be on the Internet to log out as well.

Cheers,

Nick

PS-Theios, γιάσου!

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 11:10 pm
The version 7 login is for content unlimited, live feedback and musicgroups only.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 11:12 pm
:) thanks for clearing that up. Having 7 as a plan b is always reassuring. :)

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 11:27 pm
rlovePRO InfinityMember since 2010
I'm not a fan of this system, even though I use my software legitimately. My audio computers never touch the Internet other than taking security updates and patches.

This whole logged in thing is WAY too risky and dangerous since a wrong click of the mouse or a software bug could render the software unusable during an event.

This is a key example of software restrictions impeding functionality. My vote is to have this ripped out. (This is going to alienate a great deal of people...)

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 11:41 pm
Thanks for posting without reading the thread.

As has been stated numerous times, there is a solution for those who don't have their machines online.
The will go live at full release and you will need to contact support.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 11:54 pm
I have a big problem with virtual dj 8 ..... I login on my macbook pro then i turn off the mac ... i open again virtual dj 8 and shows me that i have to login again ... My question is I have to login every time i open VDJ 8 ?????? or my program is with trubble I dont underthan .. please help

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 10:24 am
Dan, maybe a nice big sticky with a suitable title would be appropriate?

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 10:40 am
rlovePRO InfinityMember since 2010
I read through the thread, however there's 10 pages of comments. (Some useful, some not...)

I may have missed the exact relevant comment, however thanks!

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 11:29 am
Its extremely easy, if one just step back and look at it ... its pretty much like before, but instead of entering a serial number, you activate it with your account (login once)

1) VIRTUALDJ PRO INFINITY (similar to VDJ PRO 7)
- You activate it ONCE, in much exact way as VirtualDJ 7, the sole difference being that you need to be online once (and most all of us are, we download VDJ 8 online). You activate it by logging in at the software start up screen, its then activated forever more.
The license will never expire, even if you should be offline for ever ;) should you happen to have a pc that can never go online to do this activation, we can provide a solution from support that you can transfer by usb to this pc.

2) VIRTUALDJ PRO SUBSCRIBER (a monthly payment plan)
- this is a bit of a new model, where you pay monthly for VirtualDJ PRO, and this version only require of course that you reactivate the licence monthly too. This license will expire after 30 days from last activation (+ a few days grace period ..)

For most all of us here now, we have the Infinity version, where you just activate it once ;)

----
The confusion I think comes from the new flexibility, where you can log into any PC running VDJ, at some gig or what not, and activate your PRO version on the fly. After use, you should log out, of course. Should you forget, no big deal, as it will log out, as soon as you log in back home at your own pc.

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 11:39 am
93%