Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: VDJ8 - How to activate dedicated graphics? - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

A Man and His Music wrote :
We have not gone backwards, but forward. I no longer have to go to video, and choose between window and my graphics card. Once it is set, it is done. If you are at home, and don't want to use a second monitor, the window is available. I have never used those windows keys.

Well did not want to engage in polemics, but one software development team can not start from the premises that people should or should not do this or that . I understand that limitations may be that the user will have to adapt or not, but never be forced to do things the way the developer wants or suppose that should be the right way .

I have not stated that the suggested solution is a setback, but the way it was implemented has flaws that can be addressed to fix (no matter when). After all this is a new problem which did not exist before.

You can not visualize a situation in which I work daily. For example: when I have commercial and social events where there are schedules, names of people, reminders, etc., usually accessing text files with reminders and stuff, so use ALT TAB is a very practical tool available and efective look these notes. I never had any problems before. With this new version, at least for now with this pre-release, would make it impossible to upgrade, because I've a dedicated notebook for this events.

I'll ask a simple question: you never needed to access the Windows menu during an event? NEVER EVER? For this version with your audience will see the screen flashing or even disappear projection, depending on the way you do. Not convincing? ;)

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 8:29 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
If you need to access the windows menu, can't you just press the Windows key, or am I missing something?

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 8:31 pm
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
There are a couple different ways the skin is laid out when you press maximize.. one is with the task bar shown. Won't this suffice?

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 8:35 pm
Not sure I understand you. I minimize my screen all the time, it's minimized now. My videos are still playing. I use the minimize button on the software. I have plenty of stuff behind VDJ when I work. I have three video websites open, VDJ Forum, Notepad is open, I have even opened the manual several times since I started playing at 7pm. I have no problems opening up Windows, when I play, I just don't use a Windows key. How does this affect my video output, not at all.

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 8:41 pm
Guys there is different way to do a lot of things! My main point here is: why should I not use a feature of a software (Windows OS) to prevent something goes wrong in another software (VDJ)? If I "unintentionally" do an exchange of window using ALT TAB have to be penalized to screw it up in the projection that my audience is seeing, and it would be possible to avoid this since the previous version that did not happen?

Do not take a defensive position. I'm not looking for a workaround. This new version is very powerful and with brilliant features! I'm just trying to contribute information about individual user behavior that can lead to problems that could be avoided if someone would address this issue for technical validation could be avoided. Simple as that.

I understand that the display of the audience has to be proof of silly flaws. If it would be possible to avoid these failures, since this type of failure did not exist, then why not?

Best regards.

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 8:48 pm
Well, I'm a bit frustrated to say the least. I've spent the last 3 hours messing around and I still can't get the video display to my external monitor to work (Mac version). Haven't even looked at the rest of the program because of this, am i missing something???

Mid 2010 Apple Mac Maverick 10.9.2

OK, finally got the external running, but, had huge problems to get there, shouldn't be so difficult in a new piece of software. Grrrrrr....

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 8:49 pm
Les, do you get the video preview window appear?

If so you drag this across to your 2nd monitor. Then when you can see it on the 2nd screen - double click inside the video window and it will use the full screen.

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 8:51 pm
Not sure I understand you. I minimize my screen all the time, it's minimized now. My videos are still playing. I use the minimize button on the software. I have plenty of stuff behind VDJ when I work. I have three video websites open, VDJ Forum, Notepad is open, I have even opened the manual several times since I started playing at 7pm. I have no problems opening up Windows, when I play, I just don't use a Windows key. How does this affect my video output, not at all.

The problem is not to minimize VDJ. The problem is to leave Windows (OS) to manage the maximized window on the external monitor. How the management of the external monitor was implemented in this pre-release, leave the implementation of the image on this monitor susceptible to failures, among them mentioned the use of the ALT + TAB to switch windows and the desire to minimize windows to have rapid access using the desktop WIN + D.

Test it with the external monitor: when switching between different applications (ALT TAB), at some point the window was maximized on the external monitor flashes or even temporarily disappear. Your audience will not like it (lol).

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 8:55 pm
djtouchdan wrote :
Les, do you get the video preview window appear?

If so you drag this across to your 2nd monitor. Then when you can see it on the 2nd screen - double click inside the video window and it will use the full screen.

Problem was the video filled the main laptop screen and couldn't be dragged anywhere. Couldn't get out of it, had to reboot the laptop about 10-15 times, very frustrating. Finally got it by zooming out of the desktop, then double clicking on it (external output was filling the internal screen). Which shrank it to a window THEN drag it across to the external THEN double click to make it full size on the external.

Can't imagine how this would work with users with limited computer knowledge.

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 9:06 pm
I think what we have here is a failure to communicate (that's from a movie). I still don't get it. I have VDJ on my computer monitor. I have the video on the second monitor. When would I need to minimize or maximize the second monitor? If I need to open Windows, I would do it on the computer monitor. I never have to touch the second monitor, it is already maximized, for video. As for me messing with the Windows keys, that is out. Again, I think I may be missing your point.

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 9:09 pm
Soulman, that is indeed a problem, and hopefully it is an isolated one.

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 9:13 pm
Soulman just double click on the screen, it should now be a smaller window. Now grab and drag that window over to your extended monitor.

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 9:17 pm
I think what we have here is a failure to communicate (that's from a movie). I still don't get it. I have VDJ on my computer monitor. I have the video on the second monitor. When would I need to minimize or maximize the second monitor? If I need to open Windows, I would do it on the computer monitor. I never have to touch the second monitor, it is already maximized, for video. As for me messing with the Windows keys, that is out. Again, I think I may be missing your point.

Follow these steps:

1 - Open a text editor and browser for example (2 applications beyond VDJ)

2 - Being in VDJ, press ALT + TAB (hold for a few seconds) with the goal of changing applications. Do this by looking at the second monitor and see that the screen will disappear or blink

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 9:18 pm
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
In options, check the advanced setting box. Search video. Set VideoForceFullscreen to 1. Does this help?

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 9:28 pm
Okay, this is going to be a PROBLEM... and it needs to be looked at ASAP. I have 2 video cards in my laptop... I want my GAMING NVIDIA CARD to output to my external monitor just like it did in 7.4. I CHOSE my video card. I don't have that option now? Now it will output the default video card which is my intel card?

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 9:32 pm
Homeboy wrote :
In options, check the advanced setting box. Search video. Set VideoForceFullscreen to 1. Does this help?

Using this option there is a bug: after on WIN + D or ALT+TAB, VDJ became unresponsive. Its necessary turn off using task manager.

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 9:32 pm

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 9:37 pm
jumbosom wrote :

Follow these steps:

1 - Open a text editor and browser for example (2 applications beyond VDJ)

2 - Being in VDJ, press ALT + TAB (hold for a few seconds) with the goal of changing applications. Do this by looking at the second monitor and see that the screen will disappear or blink

Ok, I see what you are talking about now, but still would never use Windows keys to go between apps, or for anything else. Maybe someone else can try this, but I'm working and would not test now.

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 9:48 pm
it does indeed flicker back and forth / on off on screen, but I'm going to have to straddle the fence on this one. pressing alt+tab to go between programs while working? we use large widescreens so we're not using entire desktop and have never had to do this easier to quickly minimize vdj and then use start menu get to where you need and then go back to vdj.

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 10:24 pm
For you guys asking if VDJ is using the better video card what does it say under video driver in your video options??

Mine always says it's using the Nvidia card even if it's just a small window on my desktop.

And you can always force VDJ to use your Nvidia card in the Nvidia control panel so I don't really understand what's the problem here.

As for switching between programs just don't maximize VDJ or use a screen like a usb CINQ screen......

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 10:41 pm
51%