Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Spotify and deezer added in latest early new build - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

If the company added everything to the "lite" editions then there would be no reason to pay extra for the Pro version. That's the world of Software and pretty much every other company does exactly the same thing.

Try finding a free video editor that isn't crippled to death without paying for the upgrade. I did recently and it's impossible.

CU is included in the home and LE versions because Atomix get a cut of the fee from the providers. Don't think that's the case with Spotify or Deezer.

Posted Tue 21 Mar 17 @ 9:07 pm
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :
More like a five out of 10

i agree. hopefully it gets smoothed out.

Posted Tue 21 Mar 17 @ 9:14 pm
Norton21 wrote :
You need to pay for CU which I do and I already pay for Spotify so why charge me twice.

I don't think you need CU to use Spotify. Only a Pro VDJ license and a Spotify license

Norton21 wrote :
Spotify music is way better and most places have wifi anyway or 4g

There is however a possible licensing issue

CU is based on iDJPool which runs on Promo Only licenses.
So that is meant for DJing in public, but it's also the reason why there is less content

Spotify integration in VDJ is based on your private Spotify account, and that is not licensed to be used for DJing in public
Of course that is between you and Spotify (and the record companies, if they find out),
since VDJ just acts as an alternative Spotify player

Posted Wed 22 Mar 17 @ 1:07 pm
groovindj wrote :
I wonder why Atomix don't go with Pulselocker? At least it's intended for DJ use.

Yes, that is the other option besides iDJPool that is meant for DJ use and includes streaming so it can be integrated

I wouldn't mind if Pulselocker was added as yet another content option

But the last time I tested Pulselocker it wasn't as good as iDJPool (Content Unlimited).
Worse tagging and less real content (there was a lot of cover versions and live versions on Pulselocker)

Have you done any recent test with better results?

Posted Wed 22 Mar 17 @ 1:13 pm
Norton21ControlleristMember since 2014
Ok
So maybe I need to clarify.
I only do this for my own consumption and not as a public DJ so i'm not too worried about the DJ License element.
I completely understand having to pay for a pro license if you are DJing or want to use different Hardware/Controllers with it.

My argument is that from a music perspective I should be able to source my music on all versions without an extra cost to the product as I would be paying the music provider for this as I do now for CU.
I pay for a premium sub to spotify specifically for this across multiple devices etc.

I do not expect VDJ to charge to be able to use music. This would be like having to pay to use a CD or an MP3 in my eyes.

Hardware yes as you need it for a pro DJ
Music No as anyone should be able to play from every source offered. If you want a pro library then you pay the library.

In my opinion the more sources of music they make available the more product adoption they will see, especially if you include Spotify!

Posted Wed 22 Mar 17 @ 5:11 pm
I should also point out that if Spotify is not allowed to be used for public DJing then why are we having to pay for a Public DJing version of VDJ when it cant be used for that?
Surely it should come with lite only and not be allowed in Pro if thats the case?
Just putting another perspective on it.

Posted Wed 22 Mar 17 @ 5:26 pm
It's possibly because (IMHO) the users with either no license or a home use only license tend to be the ones who abuse the system, going out and DJing with their non-Pro VDJ and with whatever free music they can grab.

Whenever Netsearch played up in the past, it was always the non licensed users who complained the loudest - even posting for all to see that "I've got a really important gig tonight" etc. :-)

The ones who've paid for a Pro license should be the ones who behave themselves!

Posted Wed 22 Mar 17 @ 5:47 pm
I guess I can see that but i chose to Pay over £100 for my controller license having paid the pro subscription for many month prior (probably over a year)
Clearly it wasnt practical to continue to do that when I can pay for just the controllers i use.
This feature is something ive been waiting for along time and I really dont want to start using some other crap instead.
I dont feel I should be effectively punished because of what will always happen with anything in the world, people taking advantage.

I could cancel my CU sub and go Pro instead but even if I did from what you are saying I wouldnt get access to it yet anyway?

Posted Wed 22 Mar 17 @ 7:52 pm
issacsimControlleristMember since 2016
Norton21 wrote :
I should also point out that if Spotify is not allowed to be used for public DJing then why are we having to pay for a Public DJing version of VDJ when it cant be used for that?
Surely it should come with lite only and not be allowed in Pro if thats the case?
Just putting another perspective on it.

+1

Well, we paid $99 for the VirtualDJ 8 CONTROLLER license which is intended for home none professional use, we are NOT using FREE or LITE versions!

Could have purchased the less expensive djay pro with Spotify support for half the price. And it would have been plenty for our home use.

We purchased the home license for $99, Spotify is licensed for home use only! I don't get it ???

Maybe VDJ should not offer a home license for a fee, so home users like us will not get screwed! And go elsewhere where their business is welcomed and appreciated!

Very disappointing !!!

Posted Sat 25 Mar 17 @ 4:38 pm
You're not getting screwed at all. You've paid for a Plus (Controller) license, and you've got one.

Of course there are benefits to having a Pro license. Pro use is one. Use with any controller is another. Spotify/Deezer access is another, and so on.

If you want something, you pay for it. What's wrong with that?

People seem perfectly happy to pay out wads of cash for their phone, tablet, laptop etc. but expect to get all their music for free (or as good as). Why is that? Possibly because it's not a physical thing any more, so (in their eyes) it becomes worthless.

Posted Sat 25 Mar 17 @ 5:07 pm
issacsim wrote :
Spotify is licensed for home use only! I don't get it ???

I think your confusing multiple issues..
Content Unlimited can be used commercially because the company that is running it is getting its music directly from the Labels and they know who is using the service. "ZipDJ" and ERG Music" are other examples of companies that distribute music from the labels with the full backing of the labels (and they are fully aware that DJ's are using them)..
Spotify licenses the music for personal use only, Atomix does not have the right to tell people that its ok to use it commercially, so i doubt they will put themselves into a situation where they can get sued. (thus the official stance that "spotify is only legal for home use, etc etc").

If your not a working DJ (getting paid for DJing) then all of this is a moot point.. new features come to the Pro users first then usually work their way into all the versions over time.. If you want the latest features right now you should buy a pro license
If you are a working DJ and your complaining about a few hundred dollars enabling you to do your job, then your points are also moot..

Posted Sun 26 Mar 17 @ 12:28 am
mike44PRO InfinityMember since 2010
I like this feature- has anyone noticed it takes along time for the songs to load in the deck? Also wondering if you can access your offline Spotify library as I am a premium Spotify member and have alot of offline music stored and sometimes I have no internet connection.

Posted Sun 26 Mar 17 @ 8:56 am
mike44 wrote :
I like this feature- has anyone noticed it takes along time for the songs to load in the deck?

Yes, Spotify has put in a download speed limit. Deezer does not have this limit

mike44 wrote :
Also wondering if you can access your offline Spotify library as I am a premium Spotify member and have alot of offline music stored and sometimes I have no internet connection.

No, Spotify does not allow for offline/cached content when using VDJ

Posted Sun 26 Mar 17 @ 9:44 am
Is this now available on the Pro version or is it still only the beta group?
I will pay for pro or CU but not both.

Posted Fri 31 Mar 17 @ 6:50 pm
Norton21 wrote :
Is this now available on the Pro version or is it still only the beta group?

Both Spotify and Deezer integrations are included in the newest public build and works for pro users
You then need a Spotify or Deezer premium license

Posted Fri 31 Mar 17 @ 8:40 pm
Don't forget we also now have Pulselocker. :-)

Posted Fri 31 Mar 17 @ 8:53 pm
Pulselocker is currently only in the Early Access build. ;-)

Posted Fri 31 Mar 17 @ 9:06 pm
Wow just found out about this and I'm really happy with this! I already have a spotify premium licence, but how does Deezer work? On the website it says you can download songs for offline use, does this work the same way as content unlimited does?

Posted Mon 03 Apr 17 @ 10:31 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Deezer and Spotify don't offer offline use (cache) within VirtualDJ.
Content Unlimited and Pulselocker do.

Posted Mon 03 Apr 17 @ 10:39 pm
Yeah found it in another thread already, thanks anyway. I already have a content unlimited subscription but the catalogue is far from complete of course. But now combined with spotify, I should be able to meet just about any request :-)

Posted Mon 03 Apr 17 @ 11:00 pm
80%