Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Loop back & loop_half

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
If you set the loop mode to back and use the action loop_half, the loop will get the half size, but from the wrong side.

Posted Sun 29 Mar 15 @ 9:12 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Yes I thought about making this very thread a couple of days ago, you'd think that loop back mode the important (stationary) point would be the loop out.
Think about this though, you're on the second beat of a 8 beat back loop, and you half the loop, what should happen is, there should be a goto +4, what would actually happen?
it would play 3 & 4 and then loop 5-8

Posted Sun 29 Mar 15 @ 11:16 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
I think you miss the point on having Loop Back mode enabled. The purpose is to have a loop on a part that you have heard. So if you have heard on a 8 bets part and you want that part to be looped, then you have this mode enabled. But once a loop is enabled, then the Half and Double (and others) should work exactly like they do now.
Not sure how the "reversed" behavior would be useful to a mix. Kinda of weird , dont you think ? But anyways, i think it would require different _half and _double actions.

Posted Mon 30 Mar 15 @ 8:44 am
No its not weird.. Think of this:

You set a back loop just like in my image above just before the beat kicks in.
Now you are looping the last 4 Beats before the drop, half the loop so you get the last 2 beats just before the drop, then half it again to 1 beat, 1/2 Beat.... and then drop the bass...

That is only possible if the loop position - your end point of the loop - in loop back mode is not changing.
Just now, if you half the loop from 4 beats to 1 beat and then release the loop you have to wait 3 beats before the drop.

Posted Mon 30 Mar 15 @ 9:37 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Ok i understand, but this has nothing to do with the Back mode. I mean if you need this behavior for any reason, then probably you need different actions (to half/double the size from the Loop Out instead of the Loop In) or a Plugin

Posted Mon 30 Mar 15 @ 9:58 am
I think that is a quite simple script. No need for a Plugin.
Maybe my understanding of the loop back is/ was just wrong.
I thought in loop back mode the loop IN is changed with what is actually the Loop out in normal mode...
But it seems that VDJ is just doing the following:
goto -4 & loop 4

It's a bit difficult to describe it what I was thinking.

As said, a script like this should work too:

loop ? loop 4 ? loop_move +2 & loop_half : loop 2 ? loop_move +1 & loop_half : loop 1 ? loop_move +0.5 & loop_half : loop 0.5 ? loop_move 0.25 % loop_half : loop 0.125 ? loop_out : loop 4

Posted Mon 30 Mar 15 @ 11:02 am
I've got a similar single V7 script that does just that.

There is a problem with the above idea though, when loop auto move is active, halve the loop in the second half of the loop and it will move.

Posted Mon 30 Mar 15 @ 1:03 pm
Possible... I didn't test the script.I just wrote something down out of mind.

Posted Wed 01 Apr 15 @ 6:53 am
Not possibly, Actually. I use a 1/2 loop and jump script quite often.

I suppose you could switch the auto move setting with the first and last press, but then there's the issue "What if the user bales out of the loop another way?"

Posted Wed 01 Apr 15 @ 10:14 am
By possible I meant, It is possible that the script won't work as I wrote it above.
As I said, I didn't test it.

Posted Wed 01 Apr 15 @ 10:18 am
I have

loop 8 ? loop 4 & loop_move +4 & goto +4 : loop 4 ? loop 2 & loop_move +2 & goto +2 : loop 2 ? loop 1 & loop_move +1 & goto +1 : loop 1 ? loop 0.5 & loop_move +0.5 & goto +0.5 : loop 0.5 ? loop 0.25 & loop_move +0.25 & goto +0.25 : loop_exit & sync

Posted Wed 01 Apr 15 @ 10:22 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)