Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Issues with autoHeadphones - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
Has anyone had issues with autoHeadphones set to "always" or "onload" and the headphones always stay where they were after loading a song. I have to manually flip PFL to the deck (NS7 has a headphone fader, so I use that).

Posted Sun 07 Dec 14 @ 3:36 pm
So this question is aimed at Atomix. Why does "On Load" (current setting in screen shot) or "Always" not change the headphones? You can see in the screen shot Deck 1 was just loaded and Deck 2 was the Mater, but Deck 2 is also still PFL

I also just uninstalled VDJ 8, deleted the settings XML. Restarted and re installed VDJ 8 build 2073 and set it all up manually again. NS7 - Win 7 64 bit

Posted Mon 08 Dec 14 @ 9:03 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Can you check if pflOnSelect is enabled?

Also, since the NS7 has a pfl fader, maybe it causes the pfl not exactly to be at one deck or the other? You could try removing the mapping from the fader to make sure it doesn't interfere with the autoHeadphones option.

Posted Tue 09 Dec 14 @ 1:52 am
I am pretty sure it was set to Yes for that screen shot. However I did just delete and uninstall everything last night, so I will double check. I tried pflOnSelect both ways (set to Yes or No) before last night and it did not change the behavior for me.

I thought the same thing about the fader. I will test with that command removed and see if it works. Hope that can be fixed if it does, I do use that headphone fader :)

Posted Tue 09 Dec 14 @ 8:13 am
pflOnSelect is set to yes

I deleted the "headphone_crossfader" command and tried it again and the headphones did not switch. I breifly tried "headphone_mix" in there and it worked once. Went back to "headphone_crossfader" because that is what i really want and no response. Tried "headphone_mix" one more time and that is not working now.

If I use "PFL" in place of "headphone_crossfader", VDJ 8. It did the same thing. Headphone "OnLoad" worked a couple times. but the fader does not work correctly. It selects Deck 1 when full right (deck 2 side) and then Turns PFL off Deck 1 when full left side. Plus Like I said, OnLoad only worked a couple times. SO there appears to be a bug there of some sort.

Odd other behavior is, if I mouse click on the skin PFL buttons I can actually select deck 1 & 2 at the same time. So I decided to see what decks each controller was assigned to and the NS7 keeps taking 1 & 2, while the NSFX takes 3 & 4. When I change the NSFX to 1 & 2, the NS7 automatically takes Left & Right (which was not an option before changing the NSFX to 1 & 2). In VDJ 7 I could set both controllers to Left - Right logic. In VDJ 8 I can only set one controller to Left - Right Logic. Once the NS7 take Left - Right, i can only set the NSFX to 1 & 2.

With all the loading and trying to test this and pressing play on either deck. I am also getting an odd glitch I have not seen. The Platter speeds up in a "Forward spin" at times. Like I spun the motor wheel forward and let to return to normal 33 RPM. My Play button is set to Play - Pause. I found I could replicate it fairly consistently by pressing play on the same deck more than 4 times in a row (slowly, like 1 second apart). Motor Wheel Instant Play is set to No currently.

Posted Tue 09 Dec 14 @ 4:23 pm

Posted Wed 10 Dec 14 @ 10:06 am
Well, two different manufacturers and different devices.. All I can say is everything works fine with Serato and 7. Sounds like a bug to me!

I am glad to hear that someone else has the issue after days of silence.

Posted Wed 10 Dec 14 @ 3:55 pm
So after the last few days here are my results. I have the latest Numark Win 7 64 bit drivers (2.9.55) but I knew that. I just wanted to confirm it. I uninstalled, restarted and reinstalled a freshly downloaded copy of the 2.9.55 drivers. After that the headphones still do not switch with a loaded song (set to "OnLoad or Always"). If I manually move the headphone crossfader it can select either deck. So the problem here is the automatic operation.

I am also running the latest Beta build 2087.896 and still have the same issue. I tried with the controller disconnected and PFL switches decks as designed, if I plug in my controller it stops switching decks again unless I manually change it with the crossfader.

So anyone form Atomix, can I help work with you guys to find this bug?

Posted Sat 13 Dec 14 @ 6:10 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
I dont have the unit to test here, but here is what i see..
Judging from the mapping file and the fake_hp turned on in ONINIT (when the unit initializes), the Headphones Channel of the NS7 should be hardware.
Meaning that if you delete the actions assigned to the Headphones Crossfader, you should still be able to manually control which deck you prelisten.
If that is the case, then the AutoHeadphones will not work of course, since the selection is hardware (even if you see the PFL buttons on the skin changing )

If thats not the case (meaning that you dont get the proper channel/deck on Headphones if the action is removed from the fader), then try to remove the fake_hp on from ONINIt, and fake_hp off from ONEXIT keys, relaunch VirtualDJ and see if the issue is now resolved.

Let us know of your results.

Posted Sat 13 Dec 14 @ 6:22 pm
Thanks for jumping in here

djdad wrote :
Meaning that if you delete the actions assigned to the Headphones Crossfader, you should still be able to manually control which deck you prelisten.
If that is the case, then the AutoHeadphones will not work of course, since the selection is hardware (even if you see the PFL buttons on the skin changing )

Today I deleted the "headphone_crossfader" from Headphone Mix and the PFL still did not follow the loaded track. I also do not have control over the headphones with that action deleted. So I suspect it is not hardware. I further suspect it was not hardware because this works in VDJ 7. Load a track, headphone switch in VDJ 7. Not sure how VDJ 7 could control a hardware fader, if in VDJ 8 that was not be possible. I have used the "OnLoad" feature for at least the last few years in VDJ 7. That is why I miss it so much.

I did not see the "fake_hp" or the ONINIt - ONEXIT keys in the VDJ 8 settings. It was not in the XML either. But I did delete the the "HEADPHONE_MIX" mix key itself and now PFL follows the loaded track. But the fader is broken now (obviously) which I would like to fix. So I am thinking that there is a problem with that key somehow.

If you have any ideas on how to test the core midi command for the NS7 headphone fader and recode that entry the right way, I am more than willing to try. Thank you again for stepping in here :)

Posted Sun 14 Dec 14 @ 10:32 am
I started comparing the VDJ 7 Map which says

<map action="var '$headphone_mode' ? headphone_crossfader : headphone_mix" value="HEADPHONE_MIX"/>
<map action="down ? set '$headphone_mode' 1 : set '$headphone_mode' 0" value="HEADPHONE_MODE"/>

In VDJ 8 I see

<map action="headphone_crossfader" value="HEADPHONE_MIX"/>
which seems to ignore the - <map action="down ? set '$headphone_mode' 1 : set '$headphone_mode' 0" value="HEADPHONE_MODE"/>

Not super important, but another broken link that I have found on these maps for the NS7 and NSFX.

So I tried the old command "var '$headphone_mode' ? headphone_crossfader : headphone_mix" but that did not fix it. Then I remembered the key just can't exist. So at this point, I realized that I can load the VDJ 7 map (separate file) into VDJ 8. Like past attempts, it worked as designed once. Load a track, PFL switches. Move headphone fader to sync it with the software and it catches up. Load another track and now it does not work.

So there is definitely a bug here somewhere between that key and when the fader sends a command.

One other note. I tried to use the auto headphone thing set to always. Works great but because of the moving paltters, VDJ freaks out if you stop both decks close together. PFL flips back and forth a bunch of times. Very crazy and glitchy to look at. So it really needs to be set to OnLoad.

Posted Sun 14 Dec 14 @ 11:12 am
I'm currently on a run of Christmas parties at my Hotel residency. Did Christmas Party number 14 last night, only got another 9 til Christmas! So, working with VDJ8 every night. Some nights I have no problem with the autoHeadphone switching, on some nights it works for a while then half way through the gig it will stop auto switching for no apparent reason. I then have to select the headphone output channel onscreen beause the PFL buttons on the MC6000 are unreliable for this.

I have my crossfader disabled in the software and in the mapping for the MC6000. Don't think that will have anything to do with it. Several builds ago (about a month ago, can't remember exactly) I never had a problem with the autoHeadphone switching.

Posted Mon 15 Dec 14 @ 4:38 am
Do you use more than 2 decks? If so make sure you disable the pfl when switching back to deck 1 and 2.

Posted Mon 15 Dec 14 @ 5:15 am
Nope, only 2 decks for me. Even 2 deck skin. Would like to use more at some point. I will keep that in mind. Any other ideas on how we could fix this?

Posted Mon 15 Dec 14 @ 4:56 pm
Hello man
try those commands <map value="LOAD" action="pfl" />
<map value="HEADPHONE_MIX" action="headphone_mix" />
<map value="HEADPHONE_VOLUME" action="headphone_volume" />
and don't forget to delete the button for changing the headphones Cue 1 -> Cue 2 and Cue -> Master.
normally, you will be able to use the autoheadphone.

Posted Mon 15 Dec 14 @ 9:45 pm
Thanks for the suggestion. I added the "LOAD" and pfl and set up the way you said and still no luck.

The issue here is that i just can't have the "HEADPHONE_MIX" map value at all. No matter what I do, it does not work until that is deleted. So I believe this issue needs to be fixed in the coding VDJ 8.

Posted Tue 16 Dec 14 @ 6:16 pm
I only use 2 decks with djdad's SWAP 4DECKS.
The auto Headphones has worked ok the last 2 nights.

Posted Tue 16 Dec 14 @ 7:40 pm
Actually I use that same skin, in 2 deck mode (as stated earlier) also. It is a map / software problem. Glad it works for you, it works for me too if I delete that map value and live without the ability to select the headphone deck with my NS7 controller.

Posted Wed 17 Dec 14 @ 6:45 am
Is there anything else I can do to help get this fixed? Atomix?

Posted Thu 18 Dec 14 @ 11:34 am
The headphone fader takes precedence over pfl buttons and auto-headphones, so automatic selection will only work if the fader is all the way to the left.

Posted Tue 23 Dec 14 @ 10:24 am
59%