Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Issues with autoHeadphones - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
Update on this instance. I submitted a video to show that the previous statement was still not true in my case. There should be changes soon!

Posted Sat 27 Dec 14 @ 1:11 pm
Did a one off video gig Christmas Eve at my old nightclub residency. The autoHeadphones didn't work all night, it was a pain unselecting the headphones from one deck then selecting on the other deck with mouse clicks. Had to do this all night as I couldn't select with PFL buttons on my MC6000.

Posted Sat 27 Dec 14 @ 5:21 pm
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
That was really my point. It should not be that "touchy" or even slightly specific to make it work. It should just work every time, no matter what position, like it was in VDJ 7. These are headphones, it is kind of a necessary thing used to mix and scratch. So it should be bulletproof. Either way, beating a dead horse here. Let's hope the Beta fixes it when it is ready.

What gets me is I wonder how it has gone unnoticed for so long if 2 different controllers can have the same problem. Makes you wonder if people are just not testing with 8 anymore. Can't be that we are the only ones with the issue.

Posted Sun 28 Dec 14 @ 8:11 am
After no problems with the autoHeadphone issue for ages it returned at a gig last night.
This was with the latest public build 2162.952.

Just checked my settings this morning and they are;
pflOnSelect = yes
autoHeadphones = OnLoad

Had to manually select the headphones onscreen with the mousepad. Bit frustrating when it just happens on random gigs. Worked fine doing a Wedding on Friday night, then last night was an annual Military Cadets private party and it never worked all night.

Oh, just remembered, I noticed it was slow loading songs into the players last night. I've just swapped out the USB cable just in case.

More testing......................

*Edit*
After swapping the USB cable out it is still slow at loading. Just tried loading Avicii - Hey Brother Promo Only mp4 video and timed it. It took 12.74 seconds to load. DjDad's SWAP 4DECKS skin, will try with the default skin....... same. Just checked the external drive, all tests passed.

Posted Sun 15 Mar 15 @ 4:20 am
WD My Passport Ultra 2Tb (41% used). Dunno if this affects the autoHeadphone issue, but, it could be the USB cable.
Defraggler is reporting a Random Read Speed of 1.56 MB/s.

MBP i7 bootcamped with W7 64bit.

*switched to the Mac version* Beta build 2174.953
Loading the same Avicii mp4 took 16.43 seconds

Must try a new cable. This looks slow to me and hasn't normally been like that, I'm sure it loaded faster.

*Hmmmm*
Just tried loading Britney Spears - Toxic Promo Only mp4 from the internal hard drive on the Mac version = 18.98 seconds!

Posted Sun 15 Mar 15 @ 5:26 am
i would think Random Read Speed of 1.56 MB/s. is pretty slow for any Hard drive

according to the specs of that drive random reads should be more like 50mb/s on a USB3 connection

is it connected to a usb3 or usb2 port?

maybe this article can give some insight of how this drive should perform under ideal conditions .... http://www.storagereview.com/wd_my_passport_ultra_review

Posted Sun 15 Mar 15 @ 7:00 am
That's what I was thinking, the hard drive is running slow or has a faulty cable. Tried 2 so far, yet to try a new one.
It's on USB2.0 port as my MBP is a mid 2010 prior to USB3.0 being introduced.
The passport utility programs have not come up with any errors. I've yet to try the long check that looks for bad sectors, will do that then defrag the drive which takes a long time.

Just tried my old Maxtor One Touch 500Gb drive, it's a mains powered fast 7,200 spin speed. It has my mp3 database backed up on it. On the Mac side it is just as slow loading into the players. This points to the USB port being the bottleneck rather than the drives fault.

*Edit*
Just switched to the PC side, a bit quicker but still not too fast at loading.
Defraggler reports a Random Read Speed of 2.82 MB/s, still not great performance off a 7,200 spin speed drive.

Posted Sun 15 Mar 15 @ 7:36 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
It depends on the size of the blocks being randomly read, but that may very well be typical performance.
MP3's are large enough that you should usually be able to see continuous read speeds there rather than random reads though.

Did you alter the songLoadPriority option perhaps?

Posted Sun 15 Mar 15 @ 9:34 am
I haven't altered the songLoadPriority, it is set at idle. I don't know if this is it's normal setting (PC version, I'll check the Mac version).

Yep, the Mac side is the same, set to Idle.

*Edit*
Just tried a comparison. Britney Spears - Toxic, Promo Only. Loads on the Mac in VDJ7 in 1.53 seconds, on VDJ8 14.31 seconds. This is from the internal 750Gb hard drive, nothing to do with USB ports.

Gonna try that comparison on the PC side with the same song, give me a minute to switch.......

Posted Sun 15 Mar 15 @ 11:12 am
just be aware u may have songload priority set to low or idle in vdj8
i don't think there is a setting in 7 so it will effect the speed as well

set it to normal to do a better comparison

Posted Sun 15 Mar 15 @ 11:36 am
OK, on the PC side, same song from the same folder on the internal hard drive;

VDJ8 = 10.23 seconds

VDJ7 = 4.86 seconds

I've never changed the songLoadPriority in VDJ8, what is the setting supposed to be? Could the default possibly have changed between builds?

*set songLoadPriority = normal in VDJ8

VDJ8 = 3.48 seconds
That's a big change, gonna try the external now.

Loading Britney Spears - Toxic Promo Only mp4 video from the external USB drive = 1.31 seconds!

So, looks like that is where the loading problem has been. As I mentioned I've never touched this setting since VDJ8 was released last year, it's only this weekend that I noticed the slow loading and was puzzled as I was sure it was faster at loading.

Posted Sun 15 Mar 15 @ 11:39 am
normal is the default

some folks change it when they are having audio drop outs during song loads

Posted Sun 15 Mar 15 @ 11:46 am
something tells me you had it changed for a reason do alot of testing before u leave it on normal :-)

Posted Sun 15 Mar 15 @ 11:48 am
wickedmix wrote :
something tells me you had it changed for a reason do alot of testing before u leave it on normal :-)

Nope, never touched it. I'm thinking it may have been accidentally changed between builds.

Right, off to try it on the Mac side. Again, never touched it, not had a reason to and it was set to idle the same on both Mac & PC.

*Mac side* Same Britney mp4 video after setting songLoadPriority = normal

Internal Hard Drive = 1.32 seconds
External Hard Drive = 1.56 seconds

Looks like the slow loading of songs is solved. *note to self* Must check after each build update.
Just the autoHeadPhones to solve now.......

Posted Sun 15 Mar 15 @ 11:52 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)