Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: When Will SMART Mode In Automix Be Fixed? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

So far the fixes have been a great step forward but SMART mode in Automix still does not work.

I have mentioned this on numerous occasions and would like a timeline from the development team of when they will be looking at the issues with Automix?

I have offered to assist where possible to gain a speedy development update but this has fallen on deaf ears....

V7.4.1 still works and in my opinion Automix works better on this platform than v8.

Lets have some action please...

Posted Wed 29 Oct 14 @ 4:25 am
I have a feeling your bad experience is due to the placement of the automix poi points. the automatic points are not very optimal in my opinion.

you might mess with them a bit and see if it gets better. until we have some documentation on how it all fits together (POI points and Automix) its hard to say if its functioning correctly or not.

Posted Wed 29 Oct 14 @ 5:21 am
Can we request that Automix be renamed to ManualMix if POI editing is required?

Didn't need to do this in v7.4.1 - it was Automix...

Posted Wed 29 Oct 14 @ 7:08 am
Wrong... I have no POI's set and my automix in smart play is terrible.

Either have it and make it work right or take it out.

Posted Wed 29 Oct 14 @ 12:46 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
You do have POIs, because VDJ creates some of its one.

Posted Wed 29 Oct 14 @ 1:09 pm
@ PachN "of its own" or "by itself" (mfg)

I've been complaining about this for months and have come to the conclusion that the automix feature works fine .... if you reset all of the automix POI's manually(which I have only done to maybe 2% of my music collection)
I'm just hoping (and I believe it will happen) that the issue will get the love it deserves one day from the Devs team.

Posted Wed 29 Oct 14 @ 4:43 pm
Development team please listen to us and respond.......

This is a problem that has go on for far too long without a response.

djmagicmoments wrote :
Wrong... I have no POI's set and my automix in smart play is terrible.

Either have it and make it work right or take it out.

Posted Thu 30 Oct 14 @ 4:51 am
Same as the past two threads on this subject... no reply from anyone at VDJ.

Must not know what is wrong.

Posted Thu 30 Oct 14 @ 2:09 pm
its possible nothing is wrong but we don't know how to use it right?

I know that's hard to imagine but it could be true. also I think some of us hear the word auto an assume it does everything for you if it could would the world ever need any DJs ?

I think we just need better instruction of how it supposed to work because no matter how much many of us want it to be like VDJ7 I assure it is nothing like it. It has more features that we need to understand. I think the only "auto" part in reality is if you set it up to do something next time it will do it without any user intervention which is what i would like anyways I want it to do it my way not your way or their way but my way. Isn't that what you all want?

Posted Thu 30 Oct 14 @ 2:20 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I only ever use automix for prattling around the house, and without human intervention (cueing) mixes rarely sound good.
V7 I feel, has a slightly better success rate than V8 but I do agree with wickedmix, If automix is part of your performance, then you'll need to prep your tracks.

Posted Thu 30 Oct 14 @ 2:33 pm
If it says "remove silence", that is what I expect it to do.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Posted Thu 30 Oct 14 @ 3:07 pm
ChreecePRO (OEM)Member since 2014
We must not forget that's a product we've bought... If it doesn't make what it promises then it's a faulty one... Why should everyone apologize for expecting a feature to work?
I'm also waiting for a better Automix. It's there as a feature but it has a lot of work to do to be a good one or to be at least the automix from v7...

Posted Thu 30 Oct 14 @ 3:21 pm
Ok, here we go again.
@ locodog; as a home user you should be only "prattling around the house" all the time anyway, I offered to hook you up(.re your homepage) and you ignored me. I appreciate that you can do "script" things that I don't even start to understand ... I pay my IT guy 120€ an hour to sort all of those things out for me. But please, please stop "dissin" the people that use automix, I use automix a lot in my shows and earn a hell of lot of money doing it!

For the rest of us few guys that find automix interesting, let's try some positive construction, we are a minority and there is an old saying that the meek will inhereit the earth, or at least we will earn more more money than the rest!

1. check my post in Wishes and Requests, keep it alive, keep adding your ideas, let's keep it on top!
2. If we just say that automix does'nt work I think the Devs team don't know what we mean, try a workaround and say that we would like to have more control over the automix points, maybe to see them in the wave form and move them like in 7, give us the same user freindly control as by cue points.
then maybe we could set/change the different POI's(Full,Fade,Tempo,Cut in and out) on the fly .. or at least a lot quicker and easier than in the POI editor.

If you want to shoot me down for my opinions... feel free ...

Posted Thu 30 Oct 14 @ 4:54 pm
Loco, you are a HOME USER... we do this professionally. You do not.

No, not trying work arounds. Again, IT SHOULD WORK.

They advertise it, therefore it should work. The mere fact that there are THREE threads about automix not working and the developers have not responded to a single one tells me that they just don't know how to fix it.

Not worried, they will eventually fix it. They just have to realize that this is an important feature to wedding dj's who don't want to stand there for an hour during cocktail music and manually mix songs because automix doesn't work properly.

Posted Fri 31 Oct 14 @ 7:41 am
djmagicmoments wrote :
this is an important feature to wedding dj's who don't want to stand there for an hour during cocktail music and manually mix

You really shouldn't generalise like that! :-)

I play weddings (among other things), and I wouldn't dream of letting the software do the job I'm being paid for.

IMO they hired me to provide the entertainment for the day. If they'd just wanted an automated playlist, they could've used an iPod.

In fact if that's what you want to do, you could use one yourself.

Alternatively a premixed full length CD/MP3 etc. Or a playlist in Winamp, Windows Media Player or a program designed for "hands off" automated mixing.

I see VDJ as software for traditional DJs (ones who want to play live) with the added feature of a playlist, rather than something designed specifically to automate mixing like Mixmeister, MixTrax etc.

BTW prepping your tracks is not a workaround. It's how the software has been designed to work. If you want to get the best out of it, you need to get your hands dirty.

No software is perfect at mixing, or even just transitioning from track to track in a way that's pleasant to the ear. Software isn't smart enough.

That's why DJs have not been replaced by technology yet! :-)

Posted Fri 31 Oct 14 @ 8:19 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
@raypitman Sorry I haven't checked my homepage in a few weeks, but I'd gladly accept if the offer is still open.
(check my homepage)

I'm not attacking automix use or users, but I think that perhaps too much is expected of it.
Sure there's room for improvement with the autocues, but I can't see automix working perfectly (100% of the time) without setting the mix cues manually, the program can really only make a best guess exactly like a human would if they when just looking at waveform (not listening) The thing is, visually it might look like the right place to mix but visual can't really discern between a overrun, underrun or the quirks that might make a track 'interesting'

The bad thing is, all these poorly placed autocues are in place now in the xml, if atomix put out a better autocue positioner today how would it work with pre-written entries?
(not insurmountable but something that needs careful consideration)

All that being said,
Atomix should try offer some clarity about the scope, limits & faults of automix, (current & final design for the V8 build) because knowing is always half the battle.
If it was up to me automix would look and work very differently.

Posted Fri 31 Oct 14 @ 9:31 am
Locodog, did you ever see or hear about the guy (Ian Chamings) who went on Dragons Den in 2006 with his mixing software?

Mix Album was actually the smartest auto mixing software that I've heard to date.

Unfortunately it was web only (the idea being that you purchased the tracks you wanted and it created a mix CD for you).

It also never took off in the intended market - MOS style compilations. It's now called FitMix and aimed at fitness instructors.

Posted Fri 31 Oct 14 @ 9:58 am
ChreecePRO (OEM)Member since 2014
I can suggest a logic for an algorithm to remove the silence:
Find the peak from the bass (it's always the same in the song) search for the first peak of this in the entire song. Make a poi for that. Search for the last peak of the bass, make the end POI.
Translate this algorithm to C++ or whatever and you have done it! I don't think that they have not thought that (because it somehow worked in v7) but let us see how they react to that... (it can be non applicable, i'm not a sound engineer...)
Ready...

Posted Fri 31 Oct 14 @ 10:12 am
The question is, what does the software consider to be silence? Is it expecting absolutely no signal?

If so, then it's going to fail because very rarely do recordings have complete silence, especially the older tracks.

The silence level should be configurable. It's an option for timecode, but not for automix use.

Posted Fri 31 Oct 14 @ 10:19 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Chreece wrote :
I can suggest a logic for an algorithm to remove the silence:
Find the peak from the bass (it's always the same in the song) search for the first peak of this in the entire song. Make a poi for that. Search for the last peak of the bass, make the end POI.
Translate this algorithm to C++ or whatever and you have done it! I don't think that they have not thought that (because it somehow worked in v7) but let us see how they react to that... (it can be non applicable, i'm not a sound engineer...)
Ready...

That would only work if every song starts with a nice clean bass. But we all know that is not the case.
What if a songs ist starting with just some vocals, or hi-hats?
Your suggestion would truncate that part and the songs would start somewhere in the middle where the bass kicks in.

Posted Fri 31 Oct 14 @ 10:40 am
21%