Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Automix Problems - Sound Pops and Fade / Mix Not Smooth... - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I am still having problems with AutoMix not mixing tracks smoothly. The volume fades on the mix along with pops in the sound. Also a lot of mixes do not blend properly and just cut to the next song. Build version: 1834.688.

Still using version 7.4.1 as the AutoMix works much better...

Can you please investigate and report back as I am happy to help further.

Posted Wed 18 Jun 14 @ 3:31 pm
Just try version 1845.688 beta, much better result. On Options >> internet make yes getBetaBuilds to have it.

Posted Wed 18 Jun 14 @ 4:18 pm
Tried that build version and the songs still get chopped short... Although sound quality seems to have improved... Atomix just need to work on the smooth transitions and then I will be happy with AutoMix..

Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 @ 3:53 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Could you define "chopped short" ?
Please provide an example with 2 tracks that dont mix well in automix and also the Automix type that you used.

Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 @ 4:17 pm
wynchesPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I share OP's dissatisfaction with Automix on V8. 7.4 was much better. The transition was always smooth. V8 just chops the active song and starts playing the next track from the first beat. 7.4 was a lot cleverer than that. I always set my Automix to 'smart' and that worked perfectly on 7.4. The Only smooth transition one gets on V8 is when the ending of current song and beginning on of next have a tempo mix shading.
So what happened to the asterisks (star) on the BPM for tracks that VDJ had decided were optimized for Auto Mix. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring back the asterisks (star). It is ideal for Automix playlists especially for minimum DJ intervention situations.

Also why can’t Automix ‘Mix Now’ do a smooth transition into the next song at the earliest opportunity instead of just chopping off the current song immediately. I was dearly hoping V8 will address this.

Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 @ 6:27 pm
wynches wrote :
Also why can’t Automix ‘Mix Now’ do a smooth transition into the next song at the earliest opportunity instead of just chopping off the current song immediately. I was dearly hoping V8 will address this.

You may be referring to the feature "Mix Now, or In a Moment From Now."

Posted Sat 21 Jun 14 @ 2:35 am
Sorry Robin, I can't find this "Mix Now, or In a Moment From Now." anywhere.

Posted Sun 22 Jun 14 @ 3:54 am
adz7337Home userMember since 2014
So I've just downloaded VDJ8 and I'm trying to get my head around the Automix Function.
So I've made a playlist hit Automix and VDJ is playing huge amounts of silence or very very low volume music for anywhere up to 20sec at the end of tracks and then crossfading across to the next track.
For some songs (maybe one in every 10) it has got it perfect, it picked up a good end point and start for the next one, matched the Beats & Pitch and crossfaded while correcting pitches, it worked UNBELIEVABLY well which I was very impressed with. However it was a very rare occurrence and majority of the time its just not reliably even finding the end of the song which is very disappointing for such a "SMART" function. If I switch from SMART mode to Full Song or No Silence it eliminates the silence then but only cross-fades and doesn't sync with the next track. Also tried changing settings and Resetting to Factory Defaults with no luck, even tried ordering the playlist by BPM to see if that would help. I am aware of the POI Editor but I do not want to have to do that for EVERY song.

Just for comparison I downloaded VDJ7.
VDJ7 seems to Automix better in SMART mode (not as good as VDJ8 [when it works]) but good enough, the thing I can't stand though is the terrible Audio quality. Also it handles EVERY single song (no need to POI hundreds of tracks) and even if it can't find a good place to crossfade/beatmatch it at least has a decent cut/cross.

Is there any issue with this function in VDJ8? Is it still being worked on or is it working in the PRO version? Are other people finding the same problem? I don't really want to purchase the PRO version if this isn't going to work hence why I'm trialling it now.

Any help in advance is appreciated..

Posted Fri 27 Jun 14 @ 9:05 am
What winches means I believe is in 7 when you double click the next song in the automix list to cut short the song that is actually playing it mixes poorly. I, like winches was hoping that in 8 if you do the same double click to go to the next song immediately it would at least attempt to beat mix it better. I've also noticed that V7 was much better at mixing in automix "smart" then in 8. The beat matching is not great and it chops to the next song seemingly at the wrong point in most cases. I don't use automix unless the bar is quiet( which it has been lately) so I've had more time to compare 7 and 8

Posted Fri 27 Jun 14 @ 9:25 am
It's weird how it can get it Soooooo right between two tracks and then Sooooooo wrong between two others especially when the two it mixed well were more complex beat patterns!

Methinks VDJ8 was released prematurely from everything I have read, just my opinion..
I'm going to trial Traktor & PCDJ both of which have Automix functions. People think there is not much of a case for Automixing or it should be a very low priority (not looking at Serato forum members I swear!). I can professionally DJ but when I have a playlist full of bass'y easy listening stuff that needs some nice simple matching and crossfades I'm not going to bother mixing all of it for my own house party for 5-8 hours and I'm not paying someone to DJ background music..

Posted Fri 27 Jun 14 @ 10:37 am
Thanks guys. With everything else going on with V8 I'm also tempted to try PCDJ but I'm confident Atomix will eventually give us a fine product so for now I'm staying on 7.4.
I'm essentially a Video DJ so AutoMix is very important. When it works properly it leaves one to just concentrate on which video transition to use. Trying to beat match and working on a smooth video transition at the same time is 'not fun'.

Of paramount importance is to bring back the '*' on the BPM which was more or less a guarantee for a smooth beat matched mix. On 7.4 you could effectively have a playlist comprising of only songs with *BPM and enjoy a magical session. With V8 one needs to enter into AutoMix / POI editor to find out what sort of mix lies ahead and perhaps make some adjustments. The AutoMix / POI editor are very useful tools but by default Smart Mix should do a very ‘OK’ job. I totally agree with ‘adz7337’, ‘funkmasterfrank’ and ‘nightlightsdisco’ ‘Smart Mix’ has stopped being ‘Smart’ on V8.

So why can't Atomix just import the ‘AutoMix’ and ‘’Smart Mix’ engine from 7.4 into V8 and bolt on the AutoMix, BPM, POIs and Video Editors. And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring back ‘*BPM’.

Posted Fri 27 Jun 14 @ 3:06 pm
I've experienced the "mix not smooth" issue too with V8. Some songs sound better then others but I'd say 60% of the time, the max is NOT smooth.. If I try the same in V7, all sounds good... I know there are more things going on with V8 and it might just be a setting someplace but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to correct this.

joe...

Posted Wed 16 Jul 14 @ 1:31 pm
Someone posted on another thread "Ok, one more test..can you try to set the PitchQuality setting to 1 (instead of 2 - default value), ?" When I did this, all of my automix sound issues went away. Give it a try and see if this helps. Apparently, you need a very well tuned PC for PitchQuality to be a 2. My laptop is pretty much a standard one and is not maxed out. Once I made my setting "1", all got 100% better. I played with many of that automix settings and regardless of my choices, the automix sounded great.

joe...

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 1:18 pm
thanks joe will give it a shot..

Posted Thu 24 Jul 14 @ 3:04 am
I am getting the same thing happen in Automix mode , soon as it hits the end of the song , and hits the cue point , it makes a lout noise , like your taking the needle off a record . Also I have the latest build 1897

Posted Thu 24 Jul 14 @ 11:07 am
Just download and tried to test Automix in v1926.768 and the problems are still there. No smooth mixes. Are Atomix not worried about this? I am still using v7.4.1 as I am still not happy with the build quality of 8.

Posted Thu 21 Aug 14 @ 11:20 am
nightlightsdisco wrote :
Just download and tried to test Automix in v1926.768 and the problems are still there. No smooth mixes. Are Atomix not worried about this? I am still using v7.4.1 as I am still not happy with the build quality of 8.

"Someone posted on another thread "Ok, one more test..can you try to set the PitchQuality setting to 1 (instead of 2 - default value), ?" When I did this, all of my automix sound issues went away. Give it a try and see if this helps. Apparently, you need a very well tuned PC for PitchQuality to be a 2. My laptop is pretty much a standard one and is not maxed out. Once I made my setting "1", all got 100% better. I played with many of that automix settings and regardless of my choices, the automix sounded great."

Posted Thu 21 Aug 14 @ 11:32 am
I have also tried changing the PitchQuality to 1 but the mixes do not have a smooth transition. They just stop when the other track starts. I can understand the code base is new on 8 than on 7 but the algorithm could surely be taken from 7 and implemented in 8. I can understand the process of testing software but this seems to be an issue that is still ongoing and falling on deaf ears... Please can it be fixed?

godwentpunk wrote :
nightlightsdisco wrote :

"Someone posted on another thread "Ok, one more test..can you try to set the PitchQuality setting to 1 (instead of 2 - default value), ?" When I did this, all of my automix sound issues went away. Give it a try and see if this helps. Apparently, you need a very well tuned PC for PitchQuality to be a 2. My laptop is pretty much a standard one and is not maxed out. Once I made my setting "1", all got 100% better. I played with many of that automix settings and regardless of my choices, the automix sounded great."

Posted Thu 21 Aug 14 @ 12:38 pm
Have you checked your OPTION? Do a search in OPTIONS for AUTOMIXMODE and make sure it's not set to NO MIX. I have mine set to FORCE FADE.

joe....

Posted Thu 21 Aug 14 @ 4:24 pm

Thanks Joe, I have tried all the settings and normally use SMART but it just does not do good mix transitions. On 7.4.1 the mix transition in SMART mode is excellent.

godwentpunk wrote :
Have you checked your OPTION? Do a search in OPTIONS for AUTOMIXMODE and make sure it's not set to NO MIX. I have mine set to FORCE FADE.

joe....

Posted Fri 22 Aug 14 @ 3:24 am
69%