Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: What a rushed product.. - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

"read the disclaimer"

is that like reading the EULA the millions of people just click in a hurry so they can download their new toy? or those user manuals that while it would be a good idea to read they just glance at it and keep on going?
I am having some of the same "teething problems" others are having and some of the successes as well (just got done with a 50min video recording and depending on how I feel on the playback might be uploading soon. felt good!)

the OP is obviously unhappy and was making his opinion known, and it would be nice to have crash reports, system specs, and other information available besides "it keeps crashing" to help track down the cause.
as far as testing it out before taking on a gig - it will be MONTHS before I take 8 in to the club until I have beaten it to death throwing everything I can think of at it that will or might happen in a work environment. I did the same with every version of VDJ since 2006 and will continue to do so for as long as I use it.

i'm going to straddle the fence on this one and hope for a little breather of peace so the issues can actually get sorted out. so everyone take a deep breath and:

Posted Sat 24 May 14 @ 9:02 am
Been using VDJ 8 on my Windows 7 Machine for 10 hours now with no crashing maybe its shitty apple incompatibility I mean everyone is on that band wagon. I like it so far.

Posted Sat 24 May 14 @ 9:15 am
wildcountryclub wrote :
is that like reading the EULA or those user manuals

No, the disclaimer is one paragraph of less than 50 words. :-)

Posted Sat 24 May 14 @ 9:31 am
By design as long as you logged in VDJ 8 will send Crash report so pointless asking to see it posted. I would like to know where its stored in VDJ 8. Not a very productive thread as its hasn't give us any information just folk ranting over something they can't produce any information .

Posted Sat 24 May 14 @ 10:23 am
Unreal

Posted Sat 24 May 14 @ 12:01 pm
i laughed .....

just yesterday i was thinking to myself " when do we get the rant or rants from the hockey pucks that went out and used it

at a gig without trying it out properly " ?? the owner said don't do it ......there is no better authority than that .....it's NOT the

final version...... it's called "pre-release" ....... it has been tested by Dev Teamers .......Dev teamers are not your ordinary joes

with ordinary computers ...... so now it's being tested by a much larger , more representative sample group ...... so your lucky ,

you get to wear the cool pants and try it ........ to answer the question " why did they let it out " ..... because it's a complete

rewrite ........ it needs a thorough thrashing by a much larger group of users ....... you could make yourself useful and

contribute to the stability of the final , actual release also wild said he was throwing everything at it , to see what happens .....

not only is that smart for him , but it's smart for the development if he participates and communicates ...... i suggest

everyone do the same .... i believe that the people who take that tack are more into the process of acquiring there skills

and knowledge .......

Posted Sat 24 May 14 @ 12:31 pm
chucknorrisyouwimps wrote :
i laughed .....

just yesterday i was thinking to myself " when do we get the rant or rants from the hockey pucks that went out and used it

at a gig without trying it out properly " ?? the owner said don't do it ......there is no better authority than that .....it's NOT the

final version...... it's called "pre-release" ....... it has been tested by Dev Teamers .......Dev teamers are not your ordinary joes

with ordinary computers ...... so now it's being tested by a much larger , more representative sample group ...... so your lucky ,

you get to wear the cool pants and try it ........ to answer the question " why did they let it out " ..... because it's a complete

rewrite ........ it needs a thorough thrashing by a much larger group of users ....... you could make yourself useful and

contribute to the stability of the final , actual release also wild said he was throwing everything at it , to see what happens .....

not only is that smart for him , but it's smart for the development if he participates and communicates ...... i suggest

everyone do the same .... i believe that the people who take that tack are more into the process of acquiring there skills

and knowledge .......

Great way to put it! Now can we close this thread, it's starting to upset me.

Posted Sat 24 May 14 @ 1:06 pm
Typically, if you act in a civil manner, people will treat you civilly. The op came here with his guns blazing. Humans tend to shoot back, when they are shot at. Do not expect us to act other than...........what's the word I'm looking for............humanly. We are all different, so do not expect us all to be clones. This is a teachable moment, so grab a pen and paper. When you are getting paid to do a gig, it is your responsibility, to provide the client, with the services, they contracted you for. Your responsibility, and yours alone. It's not Numark's, Mackie's, Pioneer, or Virtual DJ's responsibility. The client did not hire them, they hired you. There is no crying in DJing. If any of your equipment fails at a gig, you don't get to cry, and blame others. A true professional has a contingency plan, for all scenarios, even the ones he has not thought of yet. Your clients are not guinea pigs, they did not sign up for beta testing. The sign says, "No swimming, Lifeguard not on duty". The sign was there, you just did not read it, and went into the ocean anyway. Hey, you are a good swimmer, but a giant wave hits you and knocks you out, you barely make it back alive. Anyone with any sense, will call it a day. No............not you. Your software crashed, and you decided to use it again and again, and again (I don't know how many times you let it crash) before you got it. This is not professional. One crash, and you go to plan B. Who needs the extra stress, of doing a gig, and wondering if my software is gonna crash again? Who does that to a paying client? The problem I see, is you still have not got it. You have continued to place blame everywhere, except where it belongs, squarely on your shoulders. This teachable moment is not just for the op, but for anyone that does not fully understand what their responsibility is to the client.

Posted Sat 24 May 14 @ 5:13 pm
I must admit when i 1st dl v8 i too got upset by all the bugs, i even went as far as deleting it. Imo its still rough around edges but worth a tinker to get it polished up.

I have to admit we were spoiled w v7 and how insanely polished and great it really was. Im sure v8 will be just as good and surpass v7. I wouldn't use v8 for a gig as of yet. Instead use it daily to work out the bugs, the more people use it and report the bugs the quicker we can all feel safe in using it live.

Posted Sat 24 May 14 @ 6:10 pm
Read my post here. I don't expect everyone to have the same success, but I am no the only one.

Posted Sat 24 May 14 @ 6:23 pm
@wildcountryclub - That is you're opinion!

There is an unlimited number of configurations, I know that the Beta testers did not come close to a fraction of what the non beta VDJ users have for equipment. It was your choice to get the software, and it is your option to stop using it, so let's quit with the democratic approach on blaming others!!

Posted Sat 24 May 14 @ 7:53 pm
Yes, my opinion was for both camps to remain calm.

not sure how that offended.

Posted Sat 24 May 14 @ 8:19 pm
This user has been a pro user since 2013 according to his tag?? So would have 7.4.1
Am I right to assume that a New user buying Pro infinity 8 still would be able to download the tried and tested 7.4.1 and use that until V8 becomes more mature.
In any case any pro user doing a gig for money should always have a backup ready to go.
I always have another computer cued up ready to go in case my main computer crashes.

Posted Sat 24 May 14 @ 8:56 pm
I would not assume anything. Look here, and decide for yourself. The bottom line, even if you bought 7, it does not mean you can go out and play tonight. If I bought 8 for the first time, I would be overwhelmed, and would test it extensively, before going live. I own the software, and I am overwhelmed. I've been using live for four weeks, and last night was the first time I used the video sampler. Yes, some of the extras are not ready for prime time yet, as far as plug ins and effects go. At this moment, I have no plans to go back to 7 (unless they don't get the camera feed ready in time for my party next Sat).

Posted Sat 24 May 14 @ 9:21 pm
For a rushed project it sure is solid for me. Been using for awhile and have been doing non stop video. My issues were user errors and I needed to dial in my system. I am not running the most powerful system just a lil measily dual core but man this thing rocks.

Posted Sat 24 May 14 @ 10:54 pm
pseftPRO InfinityMember since 2009
i just want to see what my title sez

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 5:24 am
ZothenPRO InfinityMember since 2014
djdad wrote :
Keeping a software that has completed its implementation and primary testing into our drawers would NEVER make it stable. Stability is something which comes gradually through a large base of users and not from a small group no matter how hard we tried to expose its primary weaknesses.

Erm, rubbish? Stability comes from a properly applied Quality Assurance (QA) and not from using tech-amateurs as guinea pigs for unguided and/or public testing. At least our company does not release stuff thats not thoroughly tested on a myriad of systems for countless hours/days/weeks. Just saying.
But I havent had a single crash with VDJ8 yet.

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 5:28 am
I used VDJ8 at a "Home" Gig and used it solidly for 8 hours without a single issues. VDJ8 is already a "Solid" product. I am having no Major issues with it. VDJ8 does not like some of the older plugins, but im sure they will be fixed in due course.

Stick with it. report faults and together we will get a truly fantastic product.

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 5:38 am
pungentPRO InfinityMember since 2011
I done about 6 hours when it was first released with minimal issues.
I have now done 4 gigs adding to about 16+ hours in front of up to 200+ people.
No crashes etc and nothing that anyone dancing would notice.
There are some things I would like to see changed.......made better but i'm sure there on top of it as it's always getting up dated when I open it.

Even though it's still not perfect I go back to VDJ7.4 and im like this is just got nothing on VDJ8.

Only forward from here and this is the future of DJing!!!!

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 6:12 am
Until time code is improved this won't be a game changer i'm afraid, but i'm sure the team are working on it

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 6:21 am
80%