Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Key harmonic detection accuracy not that great? - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Maybe he just wants to change key.

Posted Sat 17 May 14 @ 4:21 pm
metrixPRO InfinityMember since 2007
restPitchonLoad yes
this what I'm looking for , has now done

Posted Sat 17 May 14 @ 4:24 pm
Same here, in my experience, VDJ 7 got perhaps 5/6900 songs wrong. The new version replaced most of my keys and they're wrong. Needs correction IMHO.

Posted Sun 18 May 14 @ 3:56 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
groovindj wrote :

Out of 12 tracks, VDJ 8 got 9 wrong (compared to MIK) but only two were completely different.

MIK is often wrong too, unfortunately there's no golden standard yet that'll replace a good set of ears.

That said MIK does do a better job, so the question is will VDJ step up on key detection to be as accurate or more accurate than MIK (not likely imo) or will they simply want to integrate with MIK for those users who value 'key' information?

Personally I write MIK's key data to the comments field of my files, and that's convenient enough for me. This way I have two readings, if they're the same I'm more likely to trust the results than if they differ.

Posted Sun 18 May 14 @ 4:28 pm
bagpuss wrote :
groovindj wrote :

Out of 12 tracks, VDJ 8 got 9 wrong (compared to MIK) but only two were completely different.

MIK is often wrong too, unfortunately there's no golden standard yet that'll replace a good set of ears.

That said MIK does do a better job, so the question is will VDJ step up on key detection to be as accurate or more accurate than MIK (not likely imo) or will they simply want to integrate with MIK for those users who value 'key' information?

Personally I write MIK's key data to the comments field of my files, and that's convenient enough for me. This way I have two readings, if they're the same I'm more likely to trust the results than if they differ.

The problem with key matching using the key wheel system is that if you have 2 tracks that are in the same key but the BPM is far apart then you have to pitch match them which changes the key anyhow. You can of course use keylock for this but it can introduce other issues.

As always your mileage may vary but from my understanding a lot of dance music is in minor keys and v7 was pretty good at detecting minor keys, it did well for dance music anyhow. v8 supposedly has better major key harmonics detection but I think it may have sacrificed that for what it previously did pretty well in v7. Just throwing my theory out there.

Posted Sun 18 May 14 @ 6:26 pm
mojo193PRO InfinityMember since 2006
I've found that if you like the keys created by virtual 7 then go to tag editor of the track you select and click the Write Tag box that way virtual 8 won't change the Key nor the Harmonic # this must be done before you play track
It's a lot of work until the Virtual DJ Team find a short cut

Posted Tue 10 Jun 14 @ 11:32 am
mojo193PRO InfinityMember since 2006
I have to make a correction on my last comment about the Keys and Harmonics.If you go back to VirtualDJ 7 and look at
a track's File Info you will notice that everything is Tagged except the Key
If you tag the key in VDJ 7 and set Read Only to "yes" in VDJ8 the Key will remain the same

Posted Tue 10 Jun 14 @ 4:35 pm
<Quote>Is there anyway to stop VDJ8 from overwriting the tag? I want the keys that I have detected and written to the tags not the ones from VDJ.</Quote>

Is there any solution for this, except setting a file read-only? All the keys I've set in VDJ7 are now being ignored and overwritten every time I load a track into VDJ8.

I have to start over?!

Posted Mon 30 Jun 14 @ 11:26 am
Still no solution for this? I need to BPM analyze every track coming into VDJ8, then go into the tag and re-enter the correct harmonic key, one by one. Is there a general way to turn off key detection and take what is in the MP3 tag?

Posted Thu 14 Aug 14 @ 1:31 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
you can try the setting KeyDetection (in Advanced Options) to electronic.

Posted Thu 14 Aug 14 @ 4:31 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)