Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: VMS4.1 issues - Page: 4

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

t2dj4uPRO InfinityMember since 2014
djdad wrote :
t2dj4u wrote :

left deck gain knob affects volume on both decks.

Are you sure you have the Audio Setup as External mixer (deck 1 .. VMS..chans 1.2 and deck 2 ..VMS...chans 3,4) ?

djdad, thanks so much for all your help with all the issues...
yes it is set to external mixer. however i just noticed that the driver selected is not the vms4 driver and it no longer appears as a choice (?) only the asio driver and the pc's realtech appear. it was defaulted to realtech. i will try the asio driver. i am currently rescanning ALL of my songs (will take awhile). i see a new build has been released after 1781.649 i will install it after the scan and report back. i see a new vms4 thread related to this issue has appeared. maybe we can consolidate them all ??

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/188350/VirtualDJ_8_Pre-Release_Forum/VDJ_8_latest_Update_not_working_ptoperly_with_VMS4_1_controller.html > new

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/188038/VirtualDJ_8_Pre-Release_Forum/Bug__Mixer_section_works_mixed_up_with__external_mixer__selected_in_Audio_Outputs.html

there are others... again, THANKS to djdad, robroy and ALL of the developers who are obviously WORKING EXTREMELY HARD!!!

Posted Tue 20 May 14 @ 1:48 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
RobRoy wrote :
t2dj4u wrote :
....but i have a vms2 that is having the problems that the vms4x folks are having too.

Babis...referring to this question, and some others pop up in the german forum: was the gain issue a VMS 4.1 problem or did it affect vms2 users also...
just want to shure to give a correct statement....;-)

If i recall it was the same case for both Roy

Posted Tue 20 May 14 @ 3:40 pm
RobRoyPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2012
Thanks...;-)

Posted Tue 20 May 14 @ 3:56 pm
Just a question on set up for the VMS 4.1.
I have it working now but not used it live yet.
My question is what mapping is best for the 4.1 with VDJ 8?
I'm using it set to factory default and all sliders and controls are working as far as I can see.
If I try to select the American Audio VMS-4 Djdad V.2 under controllers then nothing works, no sliders or my mixer/Midilog controls on the VMS.
Should it work?
If so is there a set up guide for it anywhere for VDJ 8?

Thanks guys.

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 6:21 am
There is a change in the V8 Mapping. On a V7 Mapping you have fake actions for each of the analog mixter parts ( except gain)
this has changed now, and there is a general action written in the oninit/ onexit....
Mapping of V8 works fine but if you want to use a V7 mapping, remove all "fake" in the actions of the mapping and insert instead:

fake_mixer on & fake_hp on & fake_gain on & fake_master on & fake_eq on & deck 1 pfl off

and to onexit:

fake_mixer off & fake_hp off & fake_gain off & fake_master off & fake_eq off

greetz
rob

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 6:36 am
Thanks Rob. Much appreciated.

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 6:56 am
Sorry guys, I still have a problem. Think I must be doing something stupid but can't see what.
I have it set up as follows:
Audio:
Output: External Mixer
Card: American Audio VMS4
Deck 1 ADJ ASIO Chn 3&4
Deck 2 ADJ ASIO Chn 5&6
Deck 3 ADJ ASIO Chn 1&2
Deck 4 ADJ ASIO Chn 7&8

Interface: American Audio VMS4.1 1440.900

Controllers:
American Audio VMS4 Mapping: Factory Default Deck: Automatic

I set this up this morning and all my controls were working. Faders, Midilog volumes etc.
I have been messing with automix and now non of the mixer controls work.
They all respond on screen but have no actual effect on the sound.
i.e midilog 2 gain has no effect but slider 2 does.
I hope this makes sense.
I'm certain it was working earlier with exactly the same set up.
I have reset factory defaults and set it up again.
Am I doing something stupid?
I'm on build 1806.662

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 1:31 pm
Cannot see a wrong config in the audio setup here.
Using default skin ?
Shure you dont`t set your controller to Post EQ Mode by mistake?

greetz
rob

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 2:17 pm
Rob, you are a genius :-)
Not sure how I did it but you hit the nail on the head first time.
Thanks a million!

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 2:48 pm
no problem...;-)

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 2:54 pm
Last question, I hope ;-)
This time it's gain structure I'm having trouble with.
My on screen VU Meter is constantly in the red and non of the gain controls has any effect on it, midilog channel gain, master gain or channel sliders. Even with no output this meter still shows in the red.
The VMS VU meter works ok and any gain control is reflected correctly there.
I'm sure I used to be able to set my midilog volume control to the screen VU meter and the master for the VMS meter thus setting my gain structure at each stage before it leaves the VMS.
I've searched here and Google for an answer to how to do this but I'd like some pointers as to how best to set up my gain structure as I only appear to have 1 vu meter (on the VMS) which is controlled by all volume controls. Or is there something I can set up to get the screen VU meter working?

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 5:39 am
Seems to be an new old problem here. As a known bug in V7 i thought this has been fixed with some of the latest updates in V8.
Can you test if gain ( using the skin elements) has affect of the sound when the vms is connected ? ( all vms still on my locations..;-)

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 6:02 am
Hi Rob,
No, non of the skin controls have any effect on volume, bass, mid, etc.

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 6:24 am
Ok....seems to be fixt then. Can you please check:

a) how your gain is set in settings/ autogain ?
b) if there is a db (gain) entry in your tracks when using the tag editor. If so, remove the gain value and try again

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 6:41 am
Autogain set to "auto"
Some tracks seem to have a Gain(dB) setting of around -1.3.
Clearing the field (deleting the current entry and saving it sets it to 0.00.
After doing this for one track and playing it I still have no control over the skin VU meter.

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 6:52 am
having no control to skin elements using the mouse is fine as long the vms is connect, cause skinelements work in "fakemode" cause mixer buttons of the vms take affect to the sound, not the software.
VU Meter still red when playing that song reset to zero gain..?

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 7:05 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
You should NOT touch the Skin elements when using a unit with analogue mixer and fake mixer actions.
Simply set autoGain to auto (instead of Auto+Remember) and re-analyze for BPM the tracks that you see that they load with dostortion. It would also help if you could analyze ALL your tracks again (just to be sure that all of them will load with zeo db)
Keep in mind that even if you see the Gain slider moving on screen when you move the Gain knob from the controller, this doesnt mean that the software Gain changes. VirtualDJ doesnt really know how much gain you apply with the VMS4,since its a hardware function.

Also, its very important at the moment to use the default mapping files, and not any mapping files from version 7, as the actions have changed and it requires some special actions that are executed with the ONINIt (on launch) and ONEXIt (on exit) keys

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 7:10 am
RobRoy wrote :
having no control to skin elements using the mouse is fine as long the vms is connect, cause skinelements work in "fakemode" cause mixer buttons of the vms take affect to the sound, not the software.
VU Meter still red when playing that song reset to zero gain..?

Sorry, I'm not talking about using the mouse to control things on the skin. It's just that the skin VU meter doesn't cjange no matter what I do with the hardware gain controls on the VMS. Is this normal?
The VU Meter isn't necessarily in the red it's just that it's not controllable even if it is in the red.

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 7:37 am
djdad wrote :
You should NOT touch the Skin elements when using a unit with analogue mixer and fake mixer actions.
Simply set autoGain to auto (instead of Auto+Remember) and re-analyze for BPM the tracks that you see that they load with dostortion. It would also help if you could analyze ALL your tracks again (just to be sure that all of them will load with zeo db)
Keep in mind that even if you see the Gain slider moving on screen when you move the Gain knob from the controller, this doesnt mean that the software Gain changes. VirtualDJ doesnt really know how much gain you apply with the VMS4,since its a hardware function.

Also, its very important at the moment to use the default mapping files, and not any mapping files from version 7, as the actions have changed and it requires some special actions that are executed with the ONINIt (on launch) and ONEXIt (on exit) keys

As in my reply to Rob, I'm not using the skin controls, it's just that nothing controls the gain in the skin VU meter.
I'm thinking though,,, is this because I have gain set to auto?
So, should I re tag all my files to set gain to 0dB?
If so can I do it in VDJ or use mp3Tag?
Then re analyse all tracks?
Oh, and I am using the default vms mapping file.
Thanks all for your input on this.

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 7:42 am
I wouldn't expect the meter on the skin to change - because that meter is in line before the audio has got to the external mixer.

Remember the audio config is "external mixer" and the VMS4 controls are affecting the sound after it's left VDJ.

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 7:46 am
72%