Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: VMS4.1 issues - Page: 6

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I'm using the default VMS4.1 skin.
Although using a default VDJ 8 skin seems to be the same.
You are right the VU meter isn't marked in Db. It goes from -40 through 0 to +10.
I just assumed it would be a dB reference?
I appreciate it's digital at this point but the meter must tell me something and it is consistently in the red?

Edit: I see what you mean. The VMS8 skins just have an un-calibrated meter with no scale and it reads in one colour all the way to the top.
The VMS4.1 skin shows calibration figures from -40 to +10 and goes red when over 0.

Posted Tue 27 May 14 @ 5:45 am
If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about what a "pretend" meter is showing.

The files themselves are digital, so they have a 0dB limit "built in". Whether they've been ripped from CD, are purchased downloads or even recorded into the computer from vinyl, because they're in a digital format, they have a 0dB max. Above that would be digital distortion and you'd notice.

The gain controls in VDJ can add some dB, but the output is protected from overload by a limiter too (which can't be disabled).

Now, because you're using an external mixer it is possible to push the output too high - because it becomes an analogue signal.

The meters on the VMS4 are marked in dB, but how accurate they are is anyones guess!

Posted Tue 27 May 14 @ 6:08 am
Thanks grooving. As I can't hear any evidence of clipping or any other distortion I'll take your advice and go with it for a while. I'll monitor things and see how they go.
Thanks all for the support on this is much appreciated :-)

Posted Tue 27 May 14 @ 6:20 am
RobRoyPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2012
Actually i do not worry about the vu meters of the skin. I just wondering how and by what the gain settings in the tag are being influenced...will try these days...

Posted Tue 27 May 14 @ 6:32 am
If you want to experiment, you could make up some test files using Audacity or similar, with tones or pink noise at various dB levels.

Posted Tue 27 May 14 @ 6:33 am
RobRoy wrote :
Actually i do not worry about the vu meters of the skin. I just wondering how and by what the gain settings in the tag are being influenced...will try these days...

Yes it's an interesting question Rob. I'll have a play and see what I can find out as well. Report back here.

Posted Tue 27 May 14 @ 6:36 am
yeah.... ...maybe i add some new tracks which never have been in the database before.
Still dont know how a track, when set to 0 db, getting a db entry just by rescan when gain is set to auto...

Posted Tue 27 May 14 @ 6:37 am
I have no sound coming out of My VMS4.1 all my sound setups are correct , and my sound card is correct. looked at My setup for ASIO configure blank when I looked. I removed all Virtualdj versions V7, V8, VLE and reinstalled, still not working. I had no issues 3 days ago until last update. I even installed VMS4.1 LE installation Disc. still not getting out put on any versions of V7, V8, VLE. I installed ASIO update from American Audio VMS4.1 web site Still no sound coming out of my ASIO sound card. I am having to use My Computer headphones output. I can't cue up net song.

Posted Thu 12 Jun 14 @ 5:04 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
djrage-satx wrote :
... looked at My setup for ASIO configure blank when I looked.

This probably means that the ASIO drivers are nto properly installed.

djrage-satx wrote :
I installed ASIO update from American Audio VMS4.1 web site ....

from which link ? As far as i know the ASIO drivers for the VMS4.1 are not available in the AA website. They should be in the LE disc

Posted Thu 12 Jun 14 @ 8:10 pm
TantrixPRO InfinityMember since 2013
Luckily I don't have the issues with different gains...I use Platinum Notes. If you are unfamiliar with it does 4 things;

1) It removes clipping from a track
2) It does pitch automatic adjustments
3) It optimizes the dynamics of the track
4) It sets the gain of the track to the highest point possible without clipping (normalizes the track to the highest possible level)

The best $100 I've spent! BTW I am using a VMS 4.0 with absolutely no issues.

Posted Fri 13 Jun 14 @ 12:07 am

Posted Fri 13 Jun 14 @ 2:06 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)